ENGLISH 101 Freshman English (3 units)
- An introduction to the reading and writing of college-level prose. Study of short stories, novels and essays. Composition of short papers and essay examinations. (ACT 17-29)
Prereq: Satisfactory completion of English 90 or equivalent demonstration of ability by the English ACT score.
ENGLISH 102 Freshman English (3 units)
- A continuation of ENGLISH 101. Study of plays, poems and essays. Composition of substantial papers and a library research paper. (ACT 30+)
Prereq: Satisfactory completion of ENGLISH 101 or ENGLISH 161 or equivalent demonstration of ability by the English ACT score.
Honors Students Only - ENGLISH 105 Freshman English(3 units)
- This course is for students who are eligible for the University Honors Program. See undergraduate catalog for course description.
International Students Only - ENGLISH 160 and ENGLISH 161 (3 units)
- These courses are for students whose first language is not English. These courses satisfy the ENGLISH 101 and 102 requirements respectively. See undergraduate catalog for course descriptions.
COMM 110 Introduction to Human Communication (3 units)
- A basic course designed to help students increase their effectiveness in public speaking and interpersonal communication through learning current theory and developing skills through actual classroom experiences. A beginning course in principles of oral communication designed to develop confidence and precision through classroom speaking.
MATH 141 Intermediate Algebra (4 units)
- Introduction to college algebra. Topics and concepts extend beyond those taught in a beginning algebra course. A proficiency course for those who have not had sufficient preparation in high school to allow them to take MATH 143, MATH 148 or MATH 152. Students may not take this course for credit if they place into, are enrolled in or have already received credit for a higher-numbered math course. (ACT 19-23)
Prereq: Satisfactory completion of MATH 41 with a grade of C or better, or demonstration of equivalent capability / Unreq: MATH 140
MATH 140 Mathematical Ideas (3 units)
- Designed to give students a broad understanding and appreciation of mathematics. Includes topics not usually covered in a traditional algebra course. Topics encompass some algebra, problem solving, counting principles, probability, statistics, and consumer mathematics. This course is designed to meet the University Proficiency Requirement in mathematics for those students who do not wish to take any course which has MATH 141 as a prerequisite. (ACT 19-23)
Prereq: Satisfactory completion of MATH 41 with a grade of C or better, or demonstration of equivalent capability