Awards & Honors
Nominations for Academic Staff Awards
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater honors two academic staff each year - one from the instructional/teaching ranks and the other from the non-instructional/service ranks. Nominations are sought early in the second semester.
There is an open call for nominations for the two academic staff awards. A faculty member, staff member, a college, an academic department or program may serve as the nominator for a candidate.Any individual nominated needs to meet the eligibility criteria listed below.All nominees will be honored at a reception sponsored by the Chancellor and the Provost. Each recipient of the award will also:
- Have their name and picture in UW-Whitewater periodicals and other publications,
- Have his/her name and photograph displayed in the Andersen Library for a year with other campus-wide award recipients,
- Receive recognition at the Chancellor's welcoming speech for the Fall semester,
- Be recognized at Spring commencement,
- Have a formal presentation of the award at the annual Awards/Retirement dinner in May, and
- Receive a $500.00 monetary award funded by a grant from Commercial Bank and First Citizens State Bank, both of Whitewater.
The awards are limited to Academic Staff at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater who are employed 50% time or more, and who have not received the award in the past three years.
Submission of Nomination Materials
Submit four (4) copies of the nomination materials by (February 15).Please make sure to include:
- Information about the nominee:
- Nominee's name,
- His/her position/title,
- Nominee's job description,
- Years of service at UW-Whitewater,
- Current department/unit, and
- Name of the nominator.
- A completed Recognition Reception Nominee Information Form (completed and submitted digitally by March 1) that includes:
- Information about the nominee and the award under consideration,
- A one-paragraph narrative describing the merits of the nominee for this award (max. 200 words), and
- The name and contact information of the presenter for this nominee.
The nomination materials may be presented in any form deemed appropriate by the nominator. Please limit nomination materials to five (5) pages or less (not including letters of recommendation or the Recognition Reception Nominee Information form). Up to three (3) letters of recommendation may be submitted with the nomination.In addition to the above information listed, materials may include any or all of the following areas:
- Explain why this individual's classroom/job performance merits consideration for this award.
- What does this person do that is above and beyond the usual requirements of his/her position at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater?
- Indicate contributions this individual has made through service on committees at the departmental, college or university level.
- Indicate professional contributions this individual has made, such as leadership in professional organizations, publications, performances, advising student groups, assisting with student seminars, research, etc.
- List any professional awards earned by this individual.
- List contributions that this individual has made beyond the immediate job, including community and state service, charitable work, etc.
- List any other information that you think may assist the selection committee in its deliberations regarding this individual. (If you are nominating someone, please be aware that it is appropriate/beneficial to contact the nominee for the most current and in-depth information).
Questions regarding Academic Staff Awards should be directed to the Academic Staff Awards Committee Liaison, Curt Weber (262.472.5448; email@example.com). All individuals' nomination materials must be received by Denise Ehlen, Academic Staff Assembly Chairperson, by February 15 (aside from the completed Recognition Reception Nominee Information Form, which needs to be submitted no later than March 1-see above). If materials are missing, an individual's nomination for this award may not be considered.
The Academic Staff Awards Committee reviews the received nominations and selects a recipient for each award. The committee consists of four members, two teaching and two non-teaching. A member of the Academic Staff Assembly acts as the liaison/facilitator for the committee. The list of nominees and the recommendations of the Awards committee are forwarded to the Academic Staff Assembly for review, approval, and publication by March 15.