Awards & Honors
Nominations for the Everett Long Award for the Advancement of General Education
(Awarded during even-numbered years)
This award, endowed by Professor emeritus and former Chair of the History department, Everett Long, provides a $2,000 stipend in recognition of faculty members who value the General Education Program, make it a priority for themselves and their colleagues, defend its centrality within the university, and seek to enhance its vitality. The award is intended to honor a faculty member who, over a career or an interval of several years, has been exceptionally vital in advancing the centrality of the General Education Program, ensuring that it continues to occupy a pre-eminent position within the curriculum, promoting the coherence of the program, and ensuring its vitality.The award is not intended primarily as a teaching award, but rather a way of recognizing those who have consistently nurtured the concept of General Education, fostered multidisciplinarity within the program, and modeled its ideals in their academic endeavors.
Nominations for the award may be made by any department, dean, or academic administrator. All nominees will be honored at a reception sponsored by the Chancellor and the Provost. The recipient of the award will also:
- Have their name and picture in UW-Whitewater periodicals and other publications,
- Have his/her name and photograph displayed in the Andersen Library for a year with other campus-wide award recipients,
- Receive recognition at the Chancellor's welcoming speech for the Fall semester,
- Be recognized at Spring commencement, and
- Have a formal presentation of the award at the annual Awards/Retirement dinner in May.
Submission of Nomination Materials
A candidate's nomination materials should consist of the following (to be submitted by February 15):
- A letter of nomination (no longer than two pages) from a department, dean or academic administrator outlining the nominee's contributions to General Education.
- A current curriculum vita, including specific activities and accomplishments relating to General Education.
- A completed Recognition Reception Nominee Information Form (completed and submitted digitally no later than March 1) that includes:
- Information about the nominee and the award under consideration,
- A one-paragraph narrative describing the merits of the nominee for this award (max. 200 words), and
- The name and contact information of the presenter for this nominee.
All nomination materials must be received by Liz Hachten, Coordinator of General Education (and Assistant Dean, College of Letters and Sciences) by February 15 (aside from the completed Recognition Reception Nominee Information Form, which needs to be submitted no later than March 1 - see above).
Submission of Materials to the Associate Vice Chancellor's Office
A list of nominees needs to be submitted to the Associate Vice Chancellor's Office by March 15. Decisions on all awards (made by the selection commitees) are due to the Office of the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academics by no later than March 31.