Awards & Honors
Nominations for Faculty Service Award
The Faculty Service Award is given annually to a faculty member for his/her outstanding service to the University and the academic profession.
"Service" is defined as contributions to the University, as well as professional and public services activities.
- Contributions to the University include contributions to the governance, administration, and operation of the institution.
- Professional and public service activities include activities in the faculty member's discipline, art, profession, or society, provided that the faculty member provides such service as a practitioner of his/her discipline, art, or profession, or as a representative of the University or University system.
- Consult the Standard Classification of Performance Data for a list of service activities.
- Teaching and research activities are excluded from consideration for this award.
The process for nominating individuals for the Faculty Service Award varies. Some departments nominate individuals, and Colleges may have their own processes for selecting nominees. There is also an open call for nominations for this award. A faculty member, staff member, a college, an academic department or program may nominate someone for this award. Any individual nominated needs to meet the eligibility criteria listed below. All nominees will be honored at a reception sponsored by the Chancellor and the Provost. Each recipient of the award will also:
- Have their name and picture in UW-Whitewater periodicals and other publications,
- Have his/her name and photograph displayed in the Andersen Library for a year with other campus-wide award recipients,
- Receive recognition at the Chancellor's welcoming speech for the Fall semester,
- Be recognized at Spring commencement, and
- Have a formal presentation of the award at the annual Awards/Retirement dinner in May.
Any candidate nominated must:
- Be a tenured or tenure-track faculty member, and
- Must not be a previous recipient of this award.
Submission of Nomination Materials
The following materials need to be submitted by candidates (by February 15):
- A letter of nomination no longer than two typed letter-sized pages.
- A narrative of no longer than three typed pages describing the significance of the candidate's service activities.
- A listing of titles and dates of service activities. Contributions identified by an applicant must have been made while a member of the faculty at UW-Whitewater.
- A completed Recognition Reception Nominee Information Form (completed and submitted digitally by March 1) that includes:
- Information about the nominee and the award under consideration,
- A one-paragraph narrative describing the merits of the nominee for this award (max. 200 words), and
- The name and contact information of the presenter for this nominee.
All individuals' nomination materials must be received by David Munro, Faculty Senate Chairperson, by February 15 (aside from the completed Recognition Reception Nominee Information Form, which needs to be submitted no later than March 1 - see above). If materials are missing, an individual's nomination for this award may not be considered.
On or before the last day of fall term classes, annually the Faculty Senate shall select a Faculty Senate Award Selection Committee consisting of five faculty Senators to serve a two-year term. Annually, on or before the last day of fall term classes, the Faculty Senate shall select one former recipient of the Faculty Service Award to serve on the Committee.
SUBMISSION OF MATERIALS TO THE ASSOCIATE VICE CHANCELLOR'S OFFICE
A list of nominees needs to be submitted to the Associate Vice Chancellor's Office by March 15. Decisions on all awards (made by the selection commitees) are due to the Office of the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academics by no later than March 31.