|Plan 2008: GOAL V: INCREASE THE NUMBER OF FACULTY, ACADEMIC STAFF, CLASSIFIED STAFF AND ADMINISTRATORS OF COLOR, SO THAT THEY ARE REPRESENTED IN THE UW SYSTEM WORKFORCE IN PROPORTION TO THEIR CURRENT AVAILABILITY IN RELEVANT JOB POOLS. IN ADDITION, WORK TO INCREASE THEIR FUTURE AVAILABILITY AS POTENTIAL EMPLOYEES.|
|RELATED INSTITUTIONAL Plan 2008 GOAL (UW-W Continuing Activity #4):
· Continue and enhance efforts to recruit and retain faculty and staff of color.
|Name of Department(s)||All Units and Departments of the University|
|Target Group||UW-W Faculty and Staff of Color and Potential UW-W Faculty and Staff of Color|
|Total Number Served|
|Time Line||Academic Year|
|Duration of Program||Continuing|
|Program Cost and Funding Sources||UW-W Budget|
|INITIATIVE/PROGRAM||1. Continue to work with the Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Office to identify information about the available pool of employees and a suggested target makeup of employees.
2. Set up mentoring programs for new faculty and continuing non-tenured faculty.
3. For departments that are unable to recruit faculty and staff of color:
a. Require the development of a plan to diversify the department. Departments are expected to use methods such as the following:
4. Increase recruitment opportunities for native-speaking professors to teach Spanish as well as bilingual/bicultural professors for Chicano/Latino Studies and other subjects.1. The use of visiting faculty membersb. Provide incentives for departments that aggressively pursue diversity.
|EXPECTED OUTCOMES OR NEED FOR INITIATIVE/PROGRAM||
· Profiles of departments
|ACTUAL OUTCOMES OR EFFECTIVES OF IMPLEMENTATION ACTIVITIES||
1. Each department, when beginning a search for a new faculty or staff member, is presented with information about the available pool of employees and a suggested target makeup of employees.
|FACTORS INFLUENCING PROGRAM OUTCOMES||Factors affecting program outcomes include the availability of potential employees in the job applicant pools, the workload expectations, and the salaries available.|
|FUTURE PLANS; WILL YOU DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY, IF SO, WHY||We plan to continue the efforts that are underway. The mentoring program being developed by the LEARN center will tie into efforts underway in the academic departments to support new faculty.|