Academic Support Center, McCutchan Hall
Learning Assistant Training Process
Learning Assistant Training Before Beginning the Job
The length of this varies based on qualifications of applicant and nature of position; for example, education majors usually require less training. Along similar lines, different positions require different training.
Ideally education majors are hired for this position.
- Required to read the "Active Learning Strategies" training manual and attend orientation meetings.
- Paired with senior S.I. tutor for Tutor Mentoring
- required to attend senior tutor"s S.I. sessions and reflectively journal/discuss the process; After hiring, tutor will still work with his/her mentor in developing weekly lesson plans for the sessions
Writing Learning Assistants
- Applicant submits samples of writing to be used "tutorials" where director or a senior writing tutor models the tutorial process
- Applicant takes grammar exam that will be used for used for a customized remediation plan
Subject Area Learning Assistants (Math, Foreign Language, etc.)
The specific nature of this varies applicant by applicant; usually involves a "customized" plan based on areas of weakness. For example,
- Peer Training to Build Content Knowledge
- Development of Communication Skills
- Learning about Pedagogy of Tutoring (reading and abstracting articles)
- Faculty Sponsorship of New Tutors
On-Going Tutor Training During the Job
Even after the tutor officially begins tutoring, the training process continues in the following ways:
- Scripted Observations by the Director
- Tutor-to-Tutor Mentoring (both being mentored and serving as mentors)
- Faculty Sponsorship
- Tutor-to-Tutor Reflective Feedback Exchanges (take turns observing each other; discussion follows)
- Tutor Development Meetings (examples include "Working with LD Clients"; "Article Presentation Forum"; "Working with International Students"; "Dealing with Difficult Clients").
If you have questions about any aspect of this process, call 472-1230 or e-mail us at email@example.com.