skip navigation

Driver Authorization and Vehicle Use

The purpose of this information is to provide the UW-Whitewater campus with procedures regarding driving requirements that must be met in order for officers, employees, LTE’s, students or agents to be authorized to use a State/University owned, leased, rented or personally owned vehicle on university business.

It is critical that those making the determination on the need to drive, remember that driving any vehicle on university business is not a right but a privilege. Vehicle use entails a wide variety of related issues which affect the liability, property and workers compensation experience of the university.

It is appropriate to drive when the purpose of the trip fits the mission of the university or the official business of the university is carried out as a result of the trip. Anyone driving on state business must be an active officer, employee or LTE, currently enrolled student, or specified agent.  A valid relationship between the university and the driver must be in place prior to being authorized.

Coverage for use of university-owned vehicles is restricted to our University Self-Funded Liability Program. It is a requirement of the University Self-Funded Liability Program that anyone driving on behalf of the university must have a Driver Authorization Form on file in the Risk Management and Safety Office, prior to departure.

When driving a personal vehicle on university business, the vehicle owner's personal coverage is primary.  The State liability protection applies on an excess basis only.  The State liability and property program do not provide coverage for non-university vehicles.  The vehicle owner should contact their personal insurance company to determine how coverage will be applied for business use of their vehicle.

In general, non-employee and non-agent passengers are not allowed to ride in vehicles being used on university business due to the additional liability exposure which they pose.  Contact Risk Management and Safety for further information.

Minimum Driving Requirements

  • Must have a valid operator’s license. (new residents to Wisconsin must obtain a WI driver's license within 60 days of residence; 30 days if the person holds a CDL.)
  • Must have minimum of two years licensed driving experience. (not including instructional or probationary experience.)
  • Must be eighteen (18) years of age.

Driver Disqualification

  • Three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents in the past two years.
  • An Operating While Intoxicated (OWI)/Driving Under the Influence (DUI) citation within 12 months.
  • Expired license.
  • Suspension or revocation of driver’s license.
  • Possession of an occupational license only.
  • Less than two years driving experience.
  • License reinstated for less than one year.

UW-Whitewater Driver Authorization Process

The UW-Whitewater Driver Authorization Form must be fully completed and signed by the applicant and the supervisor making the request. 

The State of Wisconsin Fleet Policies and Procedures, which are attached to the driver authorization form, are to be reviewed before driver authorization can be granted.

Please Note: By signing the Driver Authorization Form you are agreeing to inform your supervisor and the UW-Risk Manager whenever any negative change in the status of your driving record may occur. Any negative change in the status of your driving record may result in the revocation of the privilege of driving on university business.

  1. Deliver the completed Driver Authorization Form at least five (5) working days prior to departure to:

    Risk Management and Safety
    Hyer Hall Room 333
    Applicants with an out of state driver’s license must obtain and submit a current driving record from their home state along with the Driver Authorization Form.  Contact the states Department of Transportation to request a driving record State Transportation Web Sites.  The entire process can take 10-15 days; allow enough time for processing prior to needing to drive.  For Illinois, contact Risk Management for the procedure to obtain a driving record at no cost. 

    Applicants from other countries: the only acceptable international driving permit is from Canada. Any driver who has an out-of-country license and is requesting approval to drive on university business must pursue a Wisconsin driver's license.
  3. The applicant's motor vehicle record will be checked and compared to the driving requirements established by UW-Whitewater, UW-System and the State of Wisconsin.
  4. Notification of driving status for officers, employees, LTE’s will be emailed to the employee and the supervisor will be copied.  Notification for students, agents, volunteers will be emailed to the supervisor.

Denied Driver Authorization

If an applicant’s request to drive has been denied by Risk Management, the applicant's supervisor can appeal the denial by writing to the Director of Risk Management and Safety with information as to why it is critical to the mission of the Department that the applicant drive.  The appeal will be reviewed and the supervisor will be notified of the decision.

Vehicle Reservations

Vehicle reservations are made through the UW-Whitewater Transportation Office.  Information can be found at:  Contact Risk Management at 262-472-1856 or Transportation at 262-472-6739 to verify active drivers.

Vehicle Use

12/15 Passenger vans are banned from use, as directed by the Chancellor’s Office,

Driving out of state and in other countries:  Contact Risk Management & Safety

Examples of appropriate use of a university owned, leased, rented, or personal vehicle are:

  1. Field trips that are for educational purposes and have on-site supervision by a UW-Whitewater employee.
  2. Education programs that require training to be taken outside of the Whitewater area and are course-required. (This would not include students who are required to train at some other site all day, i.e. student teaching, internships and coops).
  3. Business errands for a department.
  4. Conference, meeting, events which are university-related.
  5. Research under the direct supervision of a principal investigator or instructor, (Note #1 below for exceptions.)
  6. Volunteer programs that are under the direct supervision of the university, the program provides substantial benefit to the university, and where an agent agreement has been approved by Risk Management.
  7. Student organization trips when the purpose fits the mission of the University.

Examples of inappropriate use of a university owned or leased vehicle are:

  1. Individual research projects or course work primarily for the personal benefit of a student working toward an undergraduate or advanced degree.
  2. Field trips that do not have on-site supervision.
  3. Fraternity or Sorority business trips.
  4. Student organization trips that are not related to the mission of the university.

Vehicle Accident/Damage Reporting

Campus Vehicle - Call the police to file a police report.  Check the glove box for a vehicle accident kit and follow the instructions.  Notify Risk Management as soon as possible for further information.  Complete the Vehicle Accident/Incident Report Form.  Submit the form to Risk Management.

Rental Vehicle - Call the Police to file a police report.  Notify the rental company.  The rental company will manage any claim.  Notify Risk Management as soon as possible.  Complete the Vehicle Accident/Incident Report Form which is attached to the rental contract.  Submit the form to Risk Management.

Personal vehicle - Call the Police to file a police report.  Contact your personal insurance Agent.  Notify Risk Management as soon as possible.  Reminder:  vehicle owner’s insurance is primary in the event of an accident/incident.

General Information

Authorization Term:  Authorized drivers from the State of Wisconsin will have their driving records checked monthly.  Authorization ends when the driver fails to meet the minimum driving standards, when Risk Management & Safety is notified to inactivate, or when employment is terminated.

Student Authorizations:  Expire annually on May 31st.  After May 31st, a new Driver Authorization Form will need to be submitted to Risk Management and Safety for review to determine eligibility.

Agents/Volunteers:  Are authorized for their term of service and may be authorized for a maximum of one year. After expiration of term, a new Driver Authorization Form will need to be submitted to Risk Management and Safety for review to determine eligibility.


  • "Employee" - Officer, Staff, Faculty, LTE, Project
  • "Student Driver" - University of Wisconsin currently enrolled students, including student employees. 
  • "Volunteer/Agent Driver" - An individual other than a student or employee who is officially registered as a University Volunteer in the Office of Risk Management and Safety. 

Additional Information