In this Section
DEADLINE TO ASSEMBLY 15 FEBRUARY annually
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater honors two members of academic staff each year, one from the instructional/teaching ranks and the other from the non-instructional/service ranks. Nominations are sought early in the second semester. The Academic Staff Awards Committee reviews the received nominations and selects a recipient for each Award. The Committee consists of four members, two teaching and two non-teaching. A member of the Academic Staff Assembly acts as the liaison/facilitator for the Committee. The recommendations of the Awards Committee are forwarded to the Academic Staff Assembly for review, approval, and publication. The approved recommendations are forwarded to the Chancellor who formally presents the Awards in May. The nominee reception is held in April at the Fern Young Terrace.
The Awards are limited to Academic Staff at the UW-Whitewater who are employed 50 percent of the time or more, and who have not received the Award in the preceding three years.
Instructions for Submitting Nomination Materials
Please submit four typed copies of the nomination materials to:
Denise Ehlen, Academic Staff Assembly Chair, Suite 2243, Andersen Library
Preparing the Nomination Materials
Please provide the following within each of the four copies of nomination materials:
- Nominee's name
- His/her position/title
- Nominee's job description
- Years of service at the UW-Whitewater
- Current department
- Name of nominator
A completed Recognition Reception Nominee Information Form (http://form.jotform.com/form/1822352700) to be completed and submitted digitally by March 1 that includes:
- Information about the nominee and the award under consideration,
- A one-paragraph narrative describing the merits of the nominee for this award (max. 200 words), and
- The name and contact information of the presenter for this nominee.
The nomination materials may be presented in any form deemed appropriate by the nominator. Please limit nominations materials to five (5) pages or less (not including letters of recommendation or the Recognition Reception Nominee Information Form). Up to three (3) letters of recommendation may be submitted with the nomination.
In addition to the above information, materials may include any or all of the following areas:
- Explain why this individual's classroom/job performance merits consideration for this award.
- What does this person do that is above and beyond the usual requirements of his/her position at the UW-Whitewater?
- Indicate contributions this individual has made through service on committees at the departmental, college, or university level.
- Indicate professional contributions this individual has made, such as leadership in professional organizations, publications, performances, advising student groups, assisting with student seminars, research, etc.
- List any professional awards earned by this individual.
- List contributions that this individual has made beyond their immediate job, including community and state service, charitable work, etc.
- List any other information that you think may assist the selection committee in its deliberations regarding this individual. (If you are nominating someone, please be aware that it is beneficial to contact the nominee for the most current and in-depth information.)
All individuals’ nomination materials must be received by Denise Ehlen, Academic Staff Assembly Chairperson, by February 15 (aside from the completed Recognition Reception Nominee Information Form, which needs to be submitted no later than March 1—see above). If materials are missing, an individual’s nomination for this award may not be considered.
Questions regarding Academic Staff Awards should be directed to the Academic Staff Awards Committee Liaison, Curt Weber [Telephone: 262-472-5448, Email: email@example.com].
Award recipients receive:
- Publication of recipient's name and photo in the UW-Whitewater periodicals.
- Display of recipient's name and photo in the UW-Whitewater Library for one year (along with faculty Award recipients).
- Recognition at the Chancellor's annual State of the University Address in the fall semester.
- Recognition at Spring Commencement.
- Recognition at the Nominee Reception for Faculty and Academic Staff Awards.
- Formal presentation of the Award at the annual Awards/Retirement dinner.
- $500.00 funded by a grant from Commercial Bank and First Citizens State Bank, both of Whitewater.
Additional information on University-wide awards may be accessed online at http://www.uww.edu/acadaff/awards/uwide/.