All students seeking admission to any B.M. or B.A. in Music degree program, or for a music minor, are required to perform an audition in their primary performance area (keyboard, voice, or instrument). Students may not begin a music major or minor program or enroll in music courses until being accepted through audition. Students with sufficient background may audition in more than one area. Audition results will be used to determine admission to music degree programs, and be considered in decision on scholarship awards to incoming music majors.
Any Applicant who is unable to audition on one of the scheduled dates should contact the UW-Whitewater Music Department (262-472-1310 or 1-800-621-8744) as soon as possible to see if special arrangements may be possible.
Audition requirements for the different areas of performance are outlined below:
KEYBOARD (Piano or organ):
- Two contrasting selections of serious solo keyboard literature (memorization optional). Selections should contrast in terms of historical period, tempo, or style of writing. Movements from longer works are acceptable as selections. Exception: For applicants for the B.M. program in Performance: three contrasting selections, at least two of which must be memorized.
- Sight reading
- Keyboardists wishing to pursue the major in Instrumental Music Certification will be expected to demonstrate proficiency on a wind, string or percussion instrument.
Applicants for B.M. General Music Education Emphasis, B.M. Choral Music Education Emphasis, or B.A. with voice as performing instrument:
- Two contrasting selections (not pop songs). Contrast in terms of historical period, tempo, or language. Memorization is preferred. All applicants will be asked to sight-read.
Applicants for B.M. Performance Emphasis:
- Three contrasting selections. Selections should contrast in terms of historical period, tempo, and language. At least two pieces must be memorized. All voice applicants will be asked to sight-read.
NOTE: Singers should provide their own accompanist if at all possible. If you need the Music Department to provide an accompanist, you must inform us and send copies of your music to be performed at least two weeks in advance of your audition.
INSTRUMENT (Brass, Woodwind, String)
- Solo(s) and/or etudes of contrasting style (approximately 10 minutes total length).
- Scales (major and chromatic) and sight-reading, if requested by the faculty.
- Instrumentalists are strongly encouraged to perform solo repertoire with an accompanist, but may perform without accompaniment if necessary. However, applicants for the B.M. with Performance Emphasis MUST perform two solo works with piano accompaniment. (Note: The Music Department does not provide accompanists for instrumental auditions.)
- Instrumentalists may also elect to demonstrate jazz improvisation ability during the audition with piano accompaniment or recorded rhythm section (e.g. Abersold). Call 262-472-4655 for additional information.
- Students auditioning on Percussion must prepare a solo or etude on mallet percussion (2 or 4 mallet), snare drum (rudimental or orchestral), and timpani. Auditioning on drum set is encouraged, but not required. Sight reading on mallet percussion and/or snare drum may be required.
All applicants should also submit the following two weeks in advance of the preferred audition date:
- Music Department Application for Audition and Music Major
- High school or college transcript
- Music Teacher Recommendation form(s)