Department of Music
Strings at UW-Whitewater
There are many outstanding opportunities for string players at UW-Whitewater. In addition to the University Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra our campus also hosts string quartets, an early music ensemble, and alternative style quartets/ensembles. Music Education students may recieve credit for assisting with our many string events and teaching at the String Academy (providing not only hands-on teaching experience, but also extra income).
Musicians at UW-Whitewater receive a first-rate education from a department that was recently nominated for the statewide Regents Escellence Award, a rare and prestigious honor. Students are taught by our faculty of outstanding musicians, and our preformance and rehearsal facilities play host to many string-related activities through the academic year.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater does not offer graduate degrees in music, making it an ideal department to focus on undergraduate study. Undergrads will not compete for positions in our orchestras and ensembles with graduate students who have much more experience, and will not directly under members of the string faculty instead of graduate teaching assistants.
Why Study at Whitewater?
- Outstanding string faculty: Our faculty are equal parts dedicated teachers and performers, and have won awards in both disciplines
- Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Early Music Ensemble, and many chamber music groups.
- 100% job placement. UW-Whitewater has an excellent reputation for putting out high-quality graduates, and so they tend to get good jobs very quickly.
- A leader in music education: UW-Whitewater students have won the state-wide Gaarder Award for outstanding senior in music education 9 of the last 19 years.
- UW-Whitewater String Academy provides teaching opportunities and income for string majors
- String concerts and masterclasses, given by faculty and visiting artists, throughout each semester.
- Lots of string events for area high school students, such as Orchestra Camp, Chamber Camp, Open House, Junior Audition Day, and "String Days."
- Active student ASTA chapter
- Great facilities: 40 practice rooms, Young Auditorium, Light Recital Hall, Andersen Library, Arts/Media Center.
- Access to a large library of string-related recordings, books, and sheet music, and to excellent recording facilities
- Great scholarship opportunities, especially for string players!
- Very reasonable tuition
Department of Music