Greenhill Center of the Arts
- Built in 1971
- Largest academic building on campus, housing the departments of art, music and theatre/dance.
- Home to: Barnett Theatre, Crossman Gallery, Hicklin Studio Theatre, Light Recital Hall, and van Steenderen Family Atrium
In 2001, during the 30th anniversary, the Center of the Arts was renamed to the Greenhill Center of the Arts to honor the academic and financial contributions of H. Gaylon and Hannah Greenhill. From 1991-1999, Gaylon Greenhill served as the chancellor of the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater. During his tenure, the university developed and implemented a long list of improvements that became known as the Excellence for 21st Century Capital Campaign which included the construction of the Young Auditorium and major technological advances. Hannah Greenhill taught first grade in the Whitewater public schools for 30 years and instilled in her students an appreciation for the arts. The Greenhills have been familiar figures at auditorium events, theatre recitals, and exhibitions. Upon Gaylon’s retirement, the Greenhill Endowment was established in 1999 by friends and colleagues. This endowment is used to fund the Greenhill Excellence in the Arts Awards, which are given to three incoming freshmen planning to major in the fine arts in each of their four years.
The Crossman Gallery serves the Department of Art and Design, the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and the community by providing a forum for the exhibition of art works and related educational activities. By facilitating the exhibition of distinctive works of art, the gallery offers students, faculty and visitors an opportunity to enjoy and study a variety of art expressions. The gallery also serves as an extension of the educational mission of the university by enabling students to exhibit their own work and conduct research into the objects presented throughout the year in the exhibition series.
- Completely renovated 2000-2001.
- The front of the house was painted, seats were painted and stuffed, and the new main drape and curtains were hung.
- Backstage and technical areas of the theatre renovations include several technical improvements: updated lighting, sound, and electrical systems, as well as the rigging system.
- Audience capacity of 412
- Home to six productions for the Theatre/Dance Department throughout the academic year: three plays, a children’s tour, a musical or opera, and a dance concert.
Barnett Theatre was named after Wynett Barnett, who was chair of the Theatre Department when it was located in Old Main. Old Main burned down in February of 1971, and the Center of the Arts was built in the fall of that year. Dr. Barnett was an Omicron Associate for Zeta Phi Eta, a national professional fraternity in Communication Arts and Sciences, from 1932 until 1943. There is also a theatre scholarship in Dr. Barnett’s name for the following categories: performance, technical, costume, and dance, and the all around student.
Hicklin Studio Theatre
- Experimental theatre (black box) built in 1971.
- One mainstage production during the academic year.
- Used as a dance studio when theatrical productions are not being produced in the space.
Dr. Fannie Frazier Hicklin was a Theatre Department faculty member at UW-Whitewater from 1964 to 1988. As the first African-American faculty member on campus, she directed over fifty theatre productions, and helped to establish Summer Theatre in the Park and the Touring Children’s Theatre programs. During her time at Whitewater, she was the Associate Dean of Faculties, Director of Affirmative Action, and Chair of the Theatre/Dance Department. The theatres was dedicated and renamed to honor Dr. Hicklin on April 21, 1996. She currently resides in Madison, and is often seen attending performances at the Greenhill Center of the Arts.
Light Recital Hall
- 350 seat music recital hall that is home to most choir concerts and student recitals.
- Excellent acoustics with its premier wall design.
- Offers the use of a grand piano.
Dr. Raymond E. Light served a Music Department faculty member at UW-Whitewater from 1954 until he retired in 1982. He became the Director of Vocal Music and established the Concert Choir, which is among the best in Wisconsin. Dr. Light was the founding Dean of the College of Arts, and in 1971, he supervised the design and the completion of the Greenhill Center of the Arts.
Dr. Light proved to be an outstanding teacher, receiving the W.P. Roseman Excellence in Teaching Award in 1968. He passed away on February 14, 1994, and shortly after, his family established three scholarships in his name. The scholarships are awarded every year in art, music, and theatre.
- State-of-the-art auditorium with 1,300 seats and a 400 square foot stage.
- Completed in 1993, the $9.3 million auditorium.
- Flexible seating which can accommodate 46 wheelchairs.
- Voice and TDD services, scanning text for conversation to Braille, and a state-of-the-art system for hearing impaired individuals.
- Additional areas: Kachel Center and Fern Young Terrace
The ground breaking for the auditorium in June 1991 was made possible through the Irvin L. Young Foundation. The Foundation, along with the auditorium, honors an individual whose name had long been associated with philanthropy and humanitarianism throughout the state of Wisconsin and around the world.
From humble beginnings, without the advantages of a high school or college education, Mr. Irvin Young used his time, talents and strong entrepreneurial spirit to establish a variety of successful businesses. Inspired by a business trip to Africa and the commitments he formed there, Mr. Young established the Irvin L. Young Foundation in 1949.
Mrs. Fern Young continued her husband's benevolence until her death in January 2002. Thousands of people, both at home and abroad, have been positively affected by their kindness. It is our goal that, by bearing Mr. Young's name, we continue in his path of serving Wisconsin residents for years to come.