University of Wisconsin-Whitewater 2000-2001 Undergraduate Catalog

[Catalog Index] [Major Index] [Course Index] [Keyword Serach]


FRESHMAN: To apply for admission to UW-Whitewater, applicants can obtain an admissions application from their high school counselor or from the UW-Whitewater Admissions Office. Also, the UW System electronic application is available through the Internet at this address: An application may be considered as early as September 15 of the senior year. It must include a high school record, class rank or grade point average, the courses to be completed in the senior year, and the application fee.

Eligibility for admission to UW-Whitewater will be based on the following criteria:

  1. Graduation from a recognized high school. (Applicants who completed a high school equivalency diploma (GED) may still be considered if at least 21 years of age and out of school for two years or more.)
  2. Applicants must complete 17 units of high school work with a minimum of 13 core college preparatory units from the academic areas of English (including speech), social studies, mathematics, and science. Within the 17 units, the applicant must have the following academic pattern:
    1. Four required units in English which may include one unit of speech.
    2. Three required units in social studies.
    3. Three required units in mathematics, (including beginning algebra, geometry, and advanced algebra, or an algebra/trigonometry combination).
    4. Three required units in science.
    5. Four additional units from any of the required areas or from the arts, computer science, foreign language, accounting or other academic areas as approved by the University. Admitted new freshmen students failing to complete their senior year required core academic limits will have their admission rescinded. Students interested in completing deficiencies during the Summer must contact the Admissions Office.
  3. Applicants who have completed the required academic unit pattern will be eligible for admission if they (1) rank in the upper 50 percent of their high school class, or (2) rank in the lower 50 percent of their high school class and have combined high school class and ACT/SAT percentile ranks of 100 or above.
  4. Due to an enrollment limitation program, a discretionary admissions category (applications will be held for possible acceptance at a later date) has been established for freshman applicants. UW-Whitewater has defined this category to include applicants who meet the minimum admission standards, but rank in the bottom half of their class, and have a combined class rank percentile and test score percentile between 70 and 99. During recent years, approximately 33% of the students in the discretionary category have been offered admission.
  5. Special consideration may be given for admission for applicants who are 21 years of age, have been home-schooled, have served in the armed forces, come from a disadvantaged background, or have other unique circumstances.
  6. OUTSTANDING students may be considered for part-time or full-time admission to UW-W before completing high school. Early admission is granted on an individual basis and only to those highly qualified applicants who can demonstrate that they can benefit from entrance into college prior to high school graduation. For further information contact the Admissions Office.

FRESHMAN ORIENTATION, REGISTRATION, AND ACADEMIC ADVISING: Incoming freshmen attend one of several summer registration/orientation programs. At that time students meet with an adviser (usually the major department chair) for assistance in selecting courses to be taken in the freshman year. Parents are invited and encouraged to attend, as there will be a special program scheduled for parents while students are receiving advising and are registering.

Also, there will be additional orientation/registration activities during the first few days of the fall semester. These programs are designed to make the freshman transition to college life as smooth as possible.

TRANSFER STUDENTS: To apply for admission, an application can be obtained from a UW System university or center, or an electronic application is available through the Internet at this address: Instructions with the admissions application will explain the procedure to be followed. An application fee is required for transfer students who have not previously attended a UW System campus as a matriculated student. In addition to the admissions application and high school records, official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended must be submitted. Applicants may be accepted on a tentative basis during the last term of enrollment at the sending institution provided they meet the minimum academic requirements for University admission.

UW-Whitewater requires a minimum 2.0 (4.0 system) cumulative grade point average to transfer; however, admission requirements may be higher for students planning to enroll in particular academic programs and during periods of enrollment limitation. Students who are enrolled in their first semester and who do not meet freshman admissions standards, must complete 12 college transferable credits to receive transfer admission consideration.

Guaranteed Transfer Program - Students participating in the UW-College/UW-W Guaranteed Transfer Program may begin their university education at a UW-College and upon completion of 60 credits be guaranteed the same opportunity to continue at UW-W as students who began at UW-W. Please note that upon transferring to UW-W it is necessary for students to submit another UW-System admission application. Students reapplying under this program are not required to resubmit a second high school transcript. UW-College transcripts should be forwarded to the UW-W Office of Admissions at the time of application. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (4.0 system) is required for transfer; however, grade point average requirements may be higher for students planning to enroll in particular programs.

College of Education In order to enroll in a program leading to teacher certification, a student must be admitted to Professional Education (which normally occurs after completion of 40 or more college credits). Students who are pursuing teacher education programs will be admitted on a competitive basis of experience with children and diverse groups as well as cumulative grade point average. The application and information on criteria for admission may be obtained from the College of Education Information desk, Winther Hall 2033 (262-472-1184).

College of Business and Economics applicants interested in pursuing a business major must declare "Pre-Business" as the major. Pre-Business students are eligible to enroll in lower division business courses after they have completed twenty-four credits and possess at least a 2.50 combined grade point average. After a student completes fifty-four or more credits and has satisfactorily completed or is enrolled in 210-244, 210-249 or 210-341/342, 230-211, 230-212, 230-245 and 250-211 (765-162 and 765-171 for BBA MCS majors), the student can apply for admission to a major in the College of Business and Economics. All students with a 2.80 combined GPA or better would be admitted to a major in the College. Application forms for admission to the College of Business and Economics are available at the Assistant Dean's Office and are completed during the required Pre-Business advising meetings. Students who have questions concerning admission should contact the Assistant Dean of the College of Business and Economics.

Transfer credits are not granted for upper-division business courses at UW-W unless the equivalent courses were taken after completing 60 credits and were junior or senior level at the previous institution. Before receiving a degree in Business, students must earn at least 18 credits in their major at UW-W (21 credits if majoring in accounting or management computer systems).

For transfer students enrolling in the College of Business and Economics or the College of Education, the grade point average compiled at previous post-secondary institutions is considered for purposes of determining eligibility to enroll in these programs.

ACADEMIC ADVISING AND COURSE SELECTION: Transfer students are required to attend an orientation session and receive academic advising for registration purposes. Advising is normally handled by personnel from the major department; however, students should consult with their minor department as well. Students admitted under the "special student" classification are not required to attend the orientation program or to seek advising assistance.

READMITTED STUDENTS: Students returning to the University after an absence of one semester or more must file an application for readmission. The application can be obtained from the UW-W Admissions Office or any other UW System university or center, or an electronic application is available through the Internet at this address: It is also necessary to furnish transcripts covering college-level work taken elsewhere during their absence from UW-Whitewater. Readmitted students must receive advising before registering and are encouraged to seek other assistance as needed for their unique situation.


SPECIAL STUDENTS WITHOUT CREDENTIALS. Students who wish to enroll for six credits or less in any semester may apply for admission as a "special student without credentials". The application fee is not required but some record of previous academic work may be required to establish academic eligibility. Prospective students who do not meet admission standards will not be granted admission as a special student. Special students without credentials may attend summer school without establishing academic eligibility and may take as many credits as are regularly allowed in the summer school for all students.

Special students without credentials are not considered candidates for a degree and are not required to receive formal academic advising upon enrollment. Academic Progress Reports (APRs) are not available for special students; however, sample APRs are available upon request.

SPECIAL STUDENTS WITH CREDENTIALS. Students who have a conferred bachelor's degree and wish to enroll only for undergraduate work may apply as a "special student with credentials". An admissions application and an official transcript indicating receipt of the degree must be submitted for review. An admissions application fee is required for students seeking teaching licensure or a second bachelor's degree and who have not previously attended a UW System campus as a matriculated student. Students in this classification must meet the UW-W program grade point average requirement and are considered to have fulfilled proficiency, general education, core and diversity requirements. Transfer credit evaluations and Academic Progress Reports (APRs) are not available for special students; however, sample APRs are available upon request. Formal academic advising is not required.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: The University will consider applications from international students who demonstrate academic potential, are proficient in English, and have adequate financial resources to meet expenses while attending UW-Whitewater. To assess academic potential, results of nationally-administered examinations and the secondary school record will be considered. Please note that secondary education must consist of a college-preparatory program.

ACADEMICALLY DISMISSED STUDENTS: Students dismissed for academic reasons at UW-Whitewater will be considered for readmission if their grade point average is improved by means of work taken through UW-Whitewater summer sessions. Students will also be eligible for readmission if they have remained out of college for the time specified under the probation and dismissal policies of the University. Students who have been academically dismissed and attend other post-secondary institutions during their absence from UW-W will be evaluated based upon their academic performance (final grades) at the sending institution; this may delay the readmission process to the University and could affect admission eligibility.


Applicants who are adults and who have been bona fide residents of the State of Wisconsin for one full year prior to the beginning of the term of enrollment or minor students whose parents have been bona fide residents of the state for 12 months prior to the beginning of the semester of enrollment are exempt from payment of nonresident tuition. Also, applicants who have been continuously employed full time in this state, and were relocated to Wisconsin by their current employer; or applicants who moved to Wisconsin for employment purposes and accepted current employment before applying for admission to UW-Whitewater, may, along with their spouse and dependents, be exempt from the payment of nonresident fees provided the person making application demonstrates an intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin.

In addition, persons may qualify as bona fide residents if they meet any of the following criteria:

Intent to become a bona fide resident may be demonstrated or disproved by factors including, but not limited to, filing of Wisconsin income tax returns, eligibility to vote in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin operator's license, employment in the state, and self-support.

However, applicants who enter and remain in this state principally to obtain an education are presumed to continue to reside outside this state, and such presumption continues in effect until rebutted by clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence.


This agreement allows Minnesota residents to pay a reduced non-resident fee to attend a Wisconsin university. Arrangements to participate in this program may be made by filing an application with the Minnesota Higher Education Coordinating Board, Suite 400, Capitol Square, 550 Cedar Street, St. Paul, Minnesota, 55101. (Subject to yearly approval by Minnesota-Wisconsin state governments.) (Telephone 612-296-3974 or 1-800-657-3866)

Registrar's Office - UW-Whitewater
For comments:
Last revised on March 10, 2000 by WDT