University of Wisconsin-Whitewater 2000-2001 Undergraduate Catalog

[Catalog Index] [Major Index] [Course Index] [Keyword Serach]


This section of the Catalog is prepared to highlight certain pertinent rules, rights and responsibilities of which students should be aware. By no means all inclusive, it is meant only to group together certain key items which will be of special assistance. Students are urged to study and use the rest of this Catalog to become knowledgeable about those matters of importance to them, their program of study, and their graduation requirements.


Student Government provides a Legal Services Program free of charge to UW-Whitewater students. An attorney, hired by Student Government, is available approximately 10 hours per week.


The complete copies of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Student Non-academic Disciplinary Procedures (Administrative Code UWS Chapter 14) are available on the UW-Whitewater WEB page at http://www.uww.wdu/stdhdbk/uwsystem.html.

For information, regarding these procedures, contact the Office of Student Life at 262-472-1533. the student's rights and options.


The following information briefly describes student rights and responsibilities. Additional information may be found in the Student Handbook.

STUDENT RESPONSIBILITY Students are held responsible for monitoring an accurate record of their own progress toward graduation. No changes will be made to course entries on the academic record that are not appealed within two years of the posting date and changes will not be made to a record after the degree is officially entered.


The University believes that academic honesty and integrity are fundamental to the mission of higher education and of the University of Wisconsin System. The University has a responsibility to promote academic honesty and integrity and to develop procedures to deal effectively with instances of academic dishonesty. Students are responsible for the honest completion and representation of their work, for the appropriate citation of sources, and for respect of others' academic endeavors. Students who violate these standards are subject to disciplinary action. UWS Chapter 14 identifies procedures to be followed when a student is accused of academic misconduct. For additional information, please refer to the section in the Student Handbook titled, Student Academic Disciplinary Procedures.


University policy adopted by Faculty Senate and the Whitewater Student Government states that students will not be academically penalized for missing class in order to participate in university sanctioned events. They will be provided an opportunity to make up any work that is missed; and if class attendance is a requirement, missing a class in order to participate in a university sanctioned event will not be counted as an absence. A university sanctioned event is defined to be any intercollegiate athletic contest or other such event as determined by the Provost. Activity sponsors are responsible for obtaining the Provost's prior approval of an event as being university sanctioned and for providing an official list of participants. Students are responsible for notifying their instructors in advance of their participation in such events.

STUDENT RIGHTS STUDENT RECORDS: All student records held by the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, regardless of origin, are the property of the University and may be used by the University in any manner legally appropriate. Student records will be treated in a responsible manner and with due regard to the personal nature of the information they contain. However, the student should understand that student records may be disclosed to others who have a legal right to such access when, in the judgment of the University, such disclosure serves the best interests of the student, the University, and the community.

The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater reserves the right not to release a student's record, or any information based upon the record, when the student has failed to discharge any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the University.


If students change their first or last name and wish to have this change reflected on their academic record, they would need to complete a "Change of Name Declaration Card." Students can get these forms from the Registrar's Office. Any name change requires at least one legal form of documentation, i.e., a certified copy of a court order, a marriage license, a dissolution decree, a drivers' license, or a state issued I.D.

Registrar's Office - UW-Whitewater
For comments:
Last revised on March 10, 2000 by WDT