University of Wisconsin-Whitewater 2002-2004 Undergraduate Catalog

Catalog IndexMajor IndexCourse IndexKeyword Serach


THE UNIVERSITY HONORS PROGRAM: The University Honors Program is based on the conviction that students should be given the opportunity to develop their intellectual abilities to the fullest extent possible. Those who come to the university with special academic talents and/or extensive backgrounds in specific disciplines are, through the University Honors Program, provided with instructional options designed to challenge their abilities and allow them to more fully realize their intellectual potential.

Through enrollment in honors courses and entry into individualized honors work, students are able to explore subject matter areas in greater depth than would otherwise be possible. For those who come to the university seeking the maximum return for their educational investment, the University Honors Program offers an excellent means of matching interests and skills with university expertise. The end results can be both personally and professionally rewarding.

Students active in the Honors Program are afforded an opportunity to participate in Study Abroad programs, undergraduate research and a variety of social and cultural activities which will augment their formal educational experience. Field trips, participation in the Wisconsin State Honors Council, Upper Midwest Honors Council and National Collegiate Honors Council and social interaction with other talented and motivated students combine to provide the University Honors Program participant with opportunities for enriching experiences beyond the laboratory or classroom setting. Entering freshmen eligible for the Honors courses and continuing students in good standing in the program are extended registration preference in recognition of their exceptional academic achievement.

In addition to the enhanced educational opportunities presented by the University Honors Program, students who successfully meet all specified requirements are privileged to graduate with a University Honors designation. This achievement is both personally gratifying and of importance as students seek professional employment or admission to graduate schools.

Components: University Honors Program students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.40 or better and complete honors courses and honors option work according to the following distribution:

Classification Minimum Honors Units
Freshman Six units at 100 level or greater
Sophomore Three units at 100 level or greater
Three units at 200 level or greater
Junior Three units at 200 level or greater
Three units at 300 level or greater
Senior Three units at 300 level or greater

Full-time students should not go two consecutive Fall or Spring Terms without completing an honors course or an H-option contract. Part-time students in the University Honors Program will have their progress monitored by the University Honors Program Office.

To graduate from the University Honors Program, students must complete a minimum of twenty-one (21) honors units. All University Honors Program requirements and regulations must be met and adhered to throughout the time of enrollment.

Eligibility Requirements: Entering freshman students are eligible to become members of the University Honors Program if they have:

1. graduated in the top ten percent of their high school class AND attained a composite ACT/SAT score which ranks in the top twenty-five percent nationally;


2. attained a composite ACT/SAT score which ranks in the top ten percent nationally AND graduated in the top twenty-five percent of their high school class.

Application forms are required for admission to the University Honors Program. Information and appropriate forms may be obtained from the University Honors Office.


POLICIES AND PROCEDURES: Students who participate in priority registration may make schedule changes by the on-line WINS Registration System through the deadline date. The last day to add a 17-week course is the fifth day of classes. The last day to add a short course (or 8-week course) is the second class period. Students must have written approval of the dean of the course to add a class after the last day to add a class has passed. Students may drop courses through the sixth week of the Fall/Spring Term. Short-term courses may be dropped through Friday of the week in which 33% of the course is completed. Drops must be done through the WINS Registration System. Note the fee reduction schedule for dropped courses in the Schedule of Classes, because there may be a charge for any course dropped after the first week of classes. Also refer to the Standards of Academic Progress in the Schedule of Classes. A review of the course drop policy is as follows:

1. A "W" grade will appear on student academic records (transcripts) for all courses dropped after the tenth day of instruction. This "W" grade notation will also appear on the records of students who withdraw from the University after the tenth day. THEREFORE A COMMITMENT MUST BE MADE TO THE COURSE BY THE TENTH DAY, OR IT SHOULD BE DROPPED TO AVOID THE "W" GRADE. The fifth day of classes will be the deadline for short-term courses and for Summer Term courses.

2. An administrative drop procedure policy authorizes all departments to drop a student from a course if both of the following conditions have been satisfied:

a. The student has not attended the first session of a course that meets once each week, or the student has attended neither of the first two sessions of a course that meets more frequently than once a week.

b. The student has not provided written notice to the academic department in which the course is offered that the student will not attend the required initial class session(s).

Students who add courses after the term has started are expected to attend the classes and will not be covered by this administrative drop policy. This policy does not negate the responsibility of students for their schedule of classes. To avoid an "F" grade, students must immediately drop any courses not attended.

PROGRESSION STANDARDS: A reduction in unit load can affect students in a variety of ways, depending upon the situation.

A student enrolled in six or more units at the end of the tenth day of classes for any fall/spring term must complete 50% of the units on record with a passing grade (excluding withdrawal). If a student fails to make this progress, the student will be placed on Progression Warning. Failure to meet the Progression Standards a second time will result in suspension. If suspended under this policy, the student may appeal for reinstatement to the Academic Standards Committee by contacting the Academic Standards Office.

FINANCIAL AID PROGRESSION: Whenever students may decide to apply for federal aid, their entire academic performance will be evaluated by Progression Standards. Students not meeting the standards for academic progress will be ineligible to receive federal financial aid.

Full-time undergraduate students may receive federal financial aid only through a maximum of their first twelve (12) fall/spring terms. Half-time students are eligible through a maximum of their first twenty-four (24) fall/spring terms. Full-time students receiving aid must successfully complete a minimum number of units in proportion to their years of attendance. Part-time students must complete one-half the requirements. For complete details of these implementation guidelines, reference the Registration Guide and Schedule of Classes.


GENERAL: Courses may not be taken for credit more than once unless they are identified in the Catalog as "Repeatable". If a course is repeatable, the limitations on the number of times or maximum number of credits that may be applied to the major/minor, degree or graduation credits will be indicated. This policy also applies to transfer courses: a student may not take a course for credit at UW-Whitewater if the student has received transfer credit for taking that course at another institution unless the UW-Whitewater Catalog lists the course as repeatable (except as described below for grade point average adjustment).

GRADE POINT AVERAGE ADJUSTMENT: At the undergraduate level, students may repeat for grade replacement any course in which they earned a grade of D or F, under the following conditions.

1. The student has not received credit for a higher level course in the same department for which the course to be repeated is a prerequisite or corequisite (e.g., a student who has received credit for English 102 may not repeat English 101).

2. The grade and the credits earned in the first repeat of a course will replace those earned in the initial attempt for purposes of calculating grade point average and credits toward degree (e.g., if a student repeats a course in which a grade of D was earned and receives a B in the repeat, only the B and the credits earned in the repeat will be included in the gpa and credits to degree; if the student receives an F, only the F will be included in the gpa and the student loses the credits for the course).

3. In situations where a course has a change in the number of credits offered (e.g., a 5-credit course becomes a 4-credit course), students who repeat for grade replacement will have credits and grades for the first attempt replaced by credits and grades for the second attempt (e.g., a 5-credit D would become a 4-credit C, ar a 4-credit D would become a 3-credit A).

4. Only the first repeat of a course may be applied to grade replacement; if the student does not earn credit for the course on the first repeat, any additional attempts in the course will be included in the gpa calculation until the student does earn credit for the course.

5. All repeats must be taken for conventional grades, not satisfactory/no credit.

6. Courses taken initially at UW-W may be repeated only at UW-W; they may not be take at another institution to replace the UW-W grade.

7. Students may repeat a D or F grade earned at a transfer institution if the course has a direct UW-W equivalent and the course attempted only once prior to transfer to UW-W. Students who repeat a transfer course will receive UW-W course credits regardless of the number of credits the course carried at the transfer institution (e.g., a student repeating a 4-credit transfer course with a 3-credit UW-W course will receive only the 3 UW-W credits). All other repeat regulations apply.

Students are limited to a total of 3 repeats for grade replacement during their undergraduate work at UW-W, including repeats of courses transferred in. To allow for extenuating circumstances, students may be granted up to 2 additional repeats for grade replacement by appeal to the Dean of their major. This repeat regulation applies to any courses for which a student receives a grade beginning with the Fall Term 2000 and any term thereafter including Summer and Winterim. Developmental Studies English and Math courses are not included in this regulation.

The initial attempt of repeated courses, including the grade, remains in the permanent record on the transcript even though it is not included in the gpa calculation. Students should be aware that graduate schools and other institutions to which they might wish to transfer may not accept repeats and may include all grades in calculating gpa for admission.

Athletes should check with their coaches before repeating courses in which a grade of D was earned, as it may affect their athletic eligibility. Students receiving veterans' benefits may not count in benefit level determination those credits for which D's were previously earned.

REPEAT FOR NO CREDIT: Under certain circumstances (e.g., if a grade of C or B is required for a student to proceed to a subsquent course or to remain in a major), a course in which a C grade (or a D grade in a repeat for grade replacement) or above was earnedmay be repeated, but the new grade and credits will not be included in either the term or the cumulative gpa. Both attempts will be reflected on the permanent academic record, with the second identified as "no credit." Students considering this option should confer with the department offering the course and inform the Registrar's Office of their decision at the time of registration, or the course registration may be cancelled.

SATISFACTORY/NOCREDIT: Special permission is not needed to enroll for a course on a satisfactory/no credit basis. The S/NC option may be selected by using the WINS Registration system during the add/drop period, provided the limitations listed below are followed:

1. The S/NC option will be limited to a maximum of fifteen (15) units in an undergraduate degree program. Developmental courses (040 or 090) that do not count toward the minimum units necessary for graduation, and unit courses offered only on an S/NC basis, are not included in the fifteen-unit limitation.

2. Courses that fulfill a student's major/minor requirements, the lower/upper BBA degree requirements, any College of Business and Economics course attempted by a BBA student, and the General Education core courses may not be taken on an S/NC basis unless the course is offered only on an S/NC basis by the department. Proficiency, General Education options, unique major/minor, and elective courses may be taken on an S/NC basis.

3. The S/NC option is available to any student without regard to grade point average or class standing. The decision to take a course for S/NC must be recorded by the tenth day of class for 17-week courses and by the end of the second day of class for short courses. The decision for S/NC basis for off-campus courses must be made prior to the third class period.

4. Satisfactory (S) is the equivalent of a grade of C or better. The S will be recorded on the permanent record, but it will not be computed in the grade point average. Course work that does not merit a C or better will be graded NC. The NC grade will appear on the permanent record, but the course units will not be counted in units to degree or the grade in the grade point average. If a course in which an NC grade was earned is repeated, it must be attempted on a conventional grade basis.

5. The S/NC option cannot be used to repeat a course taken for a conventional (ABCDF) grade under the Repeat Policy. Veterans should refer to the VA Educational Assistance section for information related to this grading option.

AUDIT POLICY: For purposes of audit, there are two categories of students per UW-System policy: 1) students who are taking courses on an audit-only basis, with no courses for credit; 2) students who are taking a combination of courses for credit and courses for audit.

Audit-Only Enrollees: Students who are auditing courses only may do so under the following stipulations:

1. Wisconsin residents (Wis Stats 36-27 (2))will pay 30% of the normal per unit resident academic fee and non-residents will pay 50% of the normal non-resident fee per the fee chart. No audit fees will be assessed disabled Wisconsin residents who are receiving federal old age survivors and disability insurance benefits (OASDI) under 42 USC 401 to 433.

2. Students will register on a space available basis with departmental permission in the week immediately prior to the start of classes. Remedial English (ENGLISH 090) and mathematics (MATH 040 and MATH 041) may not be taken as audit-only.

Note: Auditing of Art Department courses may be restricted. See department for restrictions.

3. Any special course fees other than the normal tuition charges will be assessed and paid by the student.

4. Students registering under this option cannot change their courses to a credit grade basis during the term of enrollment.

5. An audit (X) symbol will be recorded on the academic record provided the instructor reports satisfactory attendance.

6. A fee of approximately $2.50 per unit will be assessed for required texts.

7. Access to University services will be limited to the library and to non-segregated fee funded activities of the University Center. A special identification card will be issued for auditors which will permit this limited access.

8. Regent, University, and Student Government regulations applying to other students will apply equally to audit-only enrollees.

Audit and Unit Combination Enrollees: Students who are taking a combination of courses for regular credit and for audit will pay the regular fees for all units based upon the fee chart. The following stipulations will also apply:

a. The decision to audit must be finalized and recorded by the tenth day of classes for 16 or 17-week courses and by the end of the second class day for shorter courses.

b. No unit will be granted for the audit course, but an audit (X) symbol will appear on the academic record, provided the instructor reports satisfactory attendance.

c. The audit course may be repeated for unit in another term.

d. Audits do not count as units for either veteran benefit certification or financial aid consideration.

WITHDRAWAL FROM THE UNIVERSITY: Students who find it necessary to leave the University while the term for which they are registered is still in session should report to the Registrar's office and initiate a withdrawal form. The following conditions apply:

a. If the withdrawal is initiated within the first ten class days of the fall/spring term, there will be no academic penalty.

b. If the withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes in a Fall/Spring Term or fifth day in summer session, "W" grades will be recorded for each of the courses in which the student is enrolled at the time of withdrawal.

c. If withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes, but the student was enrolled for six or more units on the tenth day, a whole or a partial Fall/Spring Term of eligibility will have been lost for financial aid.

d. The last day to withdraw from the University is 15 days prior to the end of the Fall/Spring Term (exam days included) and as published in Calendar announcements for all other terms.

e. Withdrawals processed after the last day to withdraw will result in the student receiving grades of "F" in those courses which are not being passed at the time of withdrawal, and the student may be suspended for not meeting the minimum grade point requirement.

f. Withdrawal does not affect the academic progression warning policy, but it may affect financial aid eligibility.

Failure to officially withdraw when leaving the University may result in students receiving failing grades in those courses for which they were enrolled. This may cause a problem in an attempt to return to the University or transfer to another institution. If students must withdraw for medical reasons, they may petition to have a portion of their academic charges reduced. The appeal process is initiated in the Office of Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs.

WAIVING OR SUBSTITUTING FOR A REQUIRED COURSE: The chairperson of the major or minor department may waive a required course within the major/minor if mastery of the course content can be demonstrated. However, other coursework must be completed to meet the minimum unit requirement for the major/minor.

A required course from a department other than the major or minor can be waived or substituted by: 1) the dean of the college of the degree if the course is in the college or degree requirements; 2) the Assistant Dean for Letters and Sciences if the requirement is in general education or diversity; or 3) the college dean of the course in the proficiency area. In selected cases, departments may waive a course in their own department based upon high school background or departmental exam.

Students may not take for credit any course for which they have received a waiver, nor may they take for credit any course in the same department that is a prerequisite for a course that has been waived (e.g., if a student has been waived from Math 143, he may not take Math 141 for credit).  

UW Logo Registrar's Office - UW-Whitewater
For comments:
Last revised on May 20, 2002 by MAR