University of Wisconsin-Whitewater 2002-2004 Undergraduate Catalog

Catalog IndexMajor IndexCourse IndexKeyword Serach


RETENTION STANDARDS: To remain in good academic standing in the University, students must have an overall cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or above. Some colleges and/or departments may require a combined UW-W and transfer grade point average above 2.0 in order to remain in good academic standing in their programs.

In addition, if students are enrolled in six or more units at the end of the tenth day of classes for fall/spring terms, they must complete (with a passing grade - D or better) 50% of the units on record. Students failing to make this progress will be placed on progression warning and/or suspended.

Students will be ineligible to continue at UWW if their term grade point average falls below 1.0 for any fall/spring term.

PROBATION AND PROGRESSION WARNING: Students will be placed on academic probation if their academic record does not meet the minimum retention standards set by UW-Whitewater. Notice of probationary status indicates that academic grade improvement is necessary to attain the minimum required overall grade point average of 2.0. Failure to complete 50% of the units on record during a fall/spring term will result in receiving a progression warning. Students will be suspended if they do not meet the standards of progress in any subsequent fall/spring term. Withdrawal from the University will not cause a progression warning in the term of withdrawal.

If placed on probation, students will be limited to 15 units in a fall/spring term, they will not be allowed more than two consecutive fall/spring terms to remove themselves from probation. They must earn at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA in the next fall/spring term of attendance or be academically dismissed. Students will be removed from probation at the end of any fall/spring term in which an overall grade point average of 2.0 or better is attained.

SUSPENSION: If students have been on academic probation for two consecutive fall/spring terms without meeting the required 2.0 cumulative grade point average, or if they are suspended under the progression policy, they may not continue in attendance. Students will be ineligible to continue if their term grade point average falls below 1.0 in any term, or if they do not earn a 2.00 term GPA in the term after they have been placed on probation, or if they do not earn a 2.0 cumulative GPA after being reinstated.

If academically ineligible to continue at this University, students may submit a written appeal for readmission to the Academic Standards Committee.

If students have been suspended, readmitted, and again fail to earn the required 2.0 cumulative grade point average, they will be eligible for reinstatement only after a successful appeal to the Academic Standards Committee. However, students may attend the summer term to improve their GPA and to enhance their chances of being reinstated.

Information regarding how to file a written appeal is available in the Academic Standards Office, McCutchan Hall.

UNDERGRADUATE ACADEMIC FORGIVENESS POLICY: With an absence from formalized higher education for a minimum of five consecutive years prior to readmission to UW-W, students may make a written appeal to invoke the Academic Forgiveness Policy. The appeal, which is made to the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee, must give reasons for the previous poor UW-W performance, information about current educational plans and justification for the appeal. The Committee will assess the student's record and appeal to determine the approach most educationally appropriate. The Committee will determine whether academic forgiveness is a better approach than use of the repeat policy. Factors such as time elapsed, changes in courses, course availability, course requirements, and educational objectives can be used to determine Committee action.

The Committee may require the student to complete certain specific conditions such as completion of a specified number of units or term(s) of enrollment in work academically acceptable to the Committee before authorizing the implementation of the policy.

The most current Catalog will be used by the Committee to evaluate the prior course work and its applicability to the degree requirements. All other University regulations will apply.

When notified in writing by the Committee, the Registrar will mark the permanent academic record with an "Academic Forgiveness" notation and begin the computation of a new grade point average for all subsequent course work. None of the previous UW-W record will be used in the new calculation. 

UW Logo Registrar's Office - UW-Whitewater
For comments:
Last revised on May 20, 2002 by MAR