University of Wisconsin-Whitewater 2002-2004 Undergraduate Catalog

Catalog IndexMajor IndexCourse IndexKeyword Serach



GENERAL TRANSFER: Transfer course numbers are converted to UW-Whitewater course numbers whenever possible. If a specific course number appears on the evaluation, students must not enroll for the course at UW-Whitewater unless they are repeating a course under the transfer course repeat policy. This would mean loss of credit, since duplicated credit for a course cannot be awarded.

Although grades earned at other post-secondary institutions will be included on the evaluation of transfer credit and the AR, the UW-Whitewater grade point average is not affected by grades earned elsewhere. Grades earned at other institutions are considered only for purposes of determining eligibility for admission to the University and eligibility for registration in certain majors, such as those in business, education and management computer systems.

For majors requiring higher grade point averages, the combined cumulative GPA of both the transfer college(s) and UW-Whitewater will be used to determine eligibility for course enrollment. Also, business students must complete course work in residence at UW-W in at least six courses (18 unit minimum) in their major field. A maximum of only two transfer courses will be allowed to count in any major in the BBA curriculum. Regardless of major, a minimum of 25% of the major course units and 25% of the minor course units must be completed at UW-Whitewater.

In order to be equated to a UW-Whitewater course, a course taken at another post-secondary institution must be taken for at least 2/3 of the number of term units for which the course is offered at UW-Whitewater.

Credit may be transferred to UW-Whitewater if the grade earned in the course at the previous institution is recognized as a passing grade (D or better) and the course parallels work offered at UW-Whitewater. If a course is repeated, credit will only be granted for repeated courses in which grades of D and F were received. Students may repeat courses transferred to UW-Whitewater from other post-secondary institutions subject to UW-Whitewater's repeat policy. Coursework completed at one transfer institution and repeated at a second transfer institution is recognized when calculating the transfer grade point average during the admission process. Please contact the Office of Admissions for further details or reference the repeat policy section of this Catalog.

Appropriate units may be transferred from one curriculum to another within the University. Waiver(s) granted by one of the four colleges may not be recognized if the student switches colleges.

Quarter Units: The number of units earned for a course taken on the quarter system must be multiplied by 2/3 in order to convert to the term (semester) system. Thus a course for 3 quarter units would be changed to 2 term units when transferred to UW-Whitewater.

It is possible that some credit in academic areas other than those offered at UW-Whitewater may be accepted upon written appeal to the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee. In considering appeals, the Committee will consult with the appropriate department chairperson to determine whether the course content is related to the major or minor and whether granting the credit is of demonstrable educational value.

Students who feel that an adjustment in an evaluation is necessary should contact the Admissions Office before proceeding with academic advising and registration. Any adjustment in the unit evaluation must be requested within one year of the date of UW-W enrollment.

TWO-YEAR COLLEGE TRANSFERS: Courses taken at two-year campuses may be equated only to UW-Whitewater 100-level (freshman) or 200-level (sophomore) courses. When a course taken at a two-year college appears to parallel a 300-level (junior) or 400-level (senior) course at UW-Whitewater, the course may be accepted as a general elective.

After accumulating 72 units, a minimum of 48 additional units must be earned at UW-Whitewater and/or other accredited four-year colleges before a degree may be awarded. Upper-division UW-Whitewater students who decide to attend a two-year college after accumulating 72 units toward graduation must obtain prior permission from the dean of their college.

Students enrolled in the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) who wish to continue their education at UW-W may be eligible to transfer credits toward their bachelor's degree in the following ways:

1. Students enrolled in the college parallel programs at Madison Area Technical College, Milwaukee Area Technical College, and Nicolet Area Technical College may be eligible to transfer up to 72 credits toward their baccalaureate degree.

2. Students who have successfully completed coursework in the Wisconsin Technical College System may be eligible to transfer up to 15 credits of general education course work in the communication and social science breadth requirements plus an additional course in math and a course in science.

3. Students may be eligible for credit by earning appropriate scores on national standardized examinations (e.g. College Level Examination Program) or examinations developed by UW-W.

4. Students with a declared business major who attain an Associate of Applied Science degree from the Division of Business and Marketing may be eligible to transfer a maximum of 12 units in business related coursework.

5. Two program-to-program articulation agreements are in effect. Gateway Technical College (Speech Communication, Electronic Media emphasis major) and Madison Area Technical College (Biology Cell-Physiology emphasis major). Contact the Admissions Office for specific details.

For more information about these transfer opportunities, students should consult with their Wisconsin Technical College advisers or the UW-W Admissions Office.

TRANSFER INFORMATION SYSTEM (TIS). The Transfer Information System (TIS) is a source of information for students and advisers with questions regarding transferability of units among UW System institutions and the Wisconsin Technical Colleges. This computer-based system provides information regarding transfer course equivalencies, academic program array, and student services departments. The TIS resource link is accessible through the UW-Whitewater WEB Home Page ( under admissions. TIS is very user friendly with easy to use commands and an extensive tutorial. Access is available at all University Computer Labs.

UNIVERSITY DEVELOPMENTAL, GENERAL EDUCATION, AND DIVERSITY FULFILLMENT: Transfer students with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from an accredited Illinois State junior college, Madison Area Technical College, Milwaukee Area Technical College, Nicolet Area Technical College, or the University of Wisconsin Colleges, who transfer at least 40 acceptable units to UW-Whitewater are considered to have fulfilled the General Education (Communication & Calculation Skills and University Liberal Arts & Science) requirements. Although the Associate degree satisfies all General Education requirements, there may be specific courses still required to meet degree and/or major/minor requirements. In addition to satisfying General Education requirements, the UW-College Associate of Arts and Science degree awarded since Fall 1991 satisfies the Diversity requirement as well. Advisers should be made aware of this fact so students are not needlessly advised into General Education courses. The final official transcript from the sending institution must indicate that the degree(s) specified have been awarded or the student will be responsible for fulfilling these requirements.

If a student transfers into a UW-W degree program which requires math, and the student has not completed the equivalent of UW-W math 141 or higher (Intermediate Algebra), the student will be required to complete a math placement exam unless the ACT math subscore is available.

For applicants who have a bachelor's degree from an accredited post-secondary institution and are seeking a second bachelor's degree at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, the first degree satisfies the General Education and Diversity requirements.

Beginning with the 1996 fall term, all transfer students will be required to complete the following General Education Core Course requirements:

# of Units Transferred UW-W Core Course Requirements
0 - less than 21 All General Education Core Courses
21 - less than 40 Two Core Courses (including GENED 390 World of Ideas)
40+ units GENED 390 World of Ideas only
-no AA/AS degree

Conferred AA/AS degree General Education and Core Course
from UW-Colleges, requirements satisfied
Madison/Milwaukee Area
Technical Colleges, Nicolet
Technical College, or Illinois State
Junior Colleges

Students transferring without the associate or bachelor's degrees described above are required to complete any remaining Communication & Calculation Skills requirements prior to completion of 60 units toward graduation. Transfer students with 60 or more units toward graduation must complete any remaining proficiency requirements within their first UW-W term.

Students who do not receive transfer credit for English 101 or Mathematics 141 will be placed according to ACT or SAT subscores.

CREDIT BY EXAMINATION AND ADVANCED STANDING: The University provides opportunities for a student to receive advance academic credit and/or advanced standing on the basis of examination. Students desiring credit by examination should contact the Director of Testing and Student Research for information and the CREDIT BY EXAMINATION OPPORTUNITIES booklet which lists the examinations which have been approved by the University. The maximum number of units by examination allowed will be 60 units. This includes departmental and nationally-administered examinations or other credit by examination transferred to UW-W from another institution.

A student with a score of three or better on a College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Advanced Placement Examination will receive credit for a specific course offered at UW-W if the appropriate department has approved the examination and the particular test is included in the CREDIT BY EXAMINATION OPPORTUNITIES booklet. General elective credit will be granted for CEEB Advanced Placement courses even if they do not have direct relationship to specific courses offered at UW-W provided a score of three or better is earned.

The University also recognizes certain tests offered by the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). CLEP examinations include both general and subject examinations. In the case of subject examinations, the appropriate department at UW-Whitewater determines the course for which credit can be granted and the score required. With regard to CLEP General Examinations, the following policies apply:

1. A student attaining a score of 50 or above on the Social Science-History exam will be awarded 3 units in social science.

2. A student attaining a score of 50 or above on the Humanities exam will be awarded 3 units in fine arts or 3 units in humanities. The student, with the advice of an adviser, may choose 3 units in either fine arts or humanities.

3. A student attaining a score of 50 or above on the Natural Sciences exam will be awarded 5 units in natural sciences.

If a student is enrolled in a course and desires to take a test for credit, the test must be taken no later than one month after the beginning of classes. Students who have completed credit by examination elsewhere should have official test scores sent to the Office of Testing and Student Affairs Research.

Each department at the University is authorized to devise its own test for purposes of granting advance credit for any course offered by the department.

Students may be placed in advanced courses, without receiving advanced units, on the basis of standardized tests, high school performance, or departmental interviews.

Qualified students may attempt to earn retroactive units in foreign language (French, German and Spanish). The procedure in each case is outlined in the CREDIT BY EXAMINATION OPPORTUNITIES booklet.

The University also has provisions for awarding advance units based upon satisfactory scores on International Baccalaureate exams. For specific information concerning units which may be awarded and the necessary score, students may contact the Director of Testing and Student Affairs Research (262-472-5613).

VETERANS: The University is approved by the State Approval Agency. Veterans may receive four elective units if they received an honorable discharge after six months or more of service or if they were discharged into the National Guard or Reserves. The discharge certificate (DD214) must be submitted to the Admissions Office to obtain these units.

Credit may be granted for formal courses offered by the armed services if the Guide compiled by the American Council on Education so recommends. Check with the Admissions Office for this type of credit.

Questions concerning veterans' educational benefits should be directed to the Veterans' Coordinator in the Registrar's Office. Students meeting with the Veterans' Coordinator for the first time should be sure to bring along their discharge certificate (DD214).

INTERNATIONAL STUDY: Prior to participation in study abroad programs, it is important that students contact the Admissions Office regarding the transferability and applicability of credit. According to University of Wisconsin System policy, course work from accredited international universities and study abroad programs at accredited United States post-secondary institutions may be accepted in transfer. No units will be granted on the basis of a transcript furnished by a commercial study tour.

ACADEMIC LOAD: The average minimum course load to graduate in eight Fall/Spring terms is 15 unit hours. A maximum of 18 units may be taken if students are in good standing. There is a 12-unit maximum for all students in summer term and a 6-unit maximum for special students without credentials during the regular terms. Students will be limited to 15 units per Fall/Spring term if they have less than a 2.00 grade point average, are admitted on probation, or are a new freshman who ranks in the lower one-half of their high school graduating class and scores in the lower one-half on the American College Test (ACT) or the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). Permission of the dean of the college in which students are enrolled must be received before they can carry more than the maximum units allowed according to their academic standing.

Students will not be permitted to enter a course after the fifth day of classes for the term. Exceptions to the deadline must be obtained from the dean of the college of the course. Students will be held responsible for the completion of all courses for which they are registered on that date unless they officially withdraw from the University or officially drop the course by proper procedures. (See Course Enrollment Options section for procedures.)

SCHEDULE OF CLASSES: Published each term by the Registrar's Office, it includes all policies, procedures, courses offered with their requisites, and other information pertinent to registration.

SENIORS TAKING GRADUATE COURSES: UW-Whitewater undergraduate students with senior status may be allowed to take a maximum of six graduate units at UW-Whitewater provided they have completed at least 90 units with a minimum of a 2.75 overall grade point average (or 2.90 over the last half of their course work). Seniors must file a Senior Application at the Graduate Office and have the written recommendation of the department chairperson of their undergraduate major. Seniors may not use graduate-level units to satisfy requirements for the bachelor's degree, and undergraduate fees will be charged for their graduate-level work. This privilege is not available to seniors at other institutions or to students who already possess a bachelor's degree. 

UW Logo Registrar's Office - UW-Whitewater
For comments:
Last revised on May 20, 2002 by MAR