University of Wisconsin-Whitewater 2002-2004 Undergraduate Catalog

Catalog IndexMajor IndexCourse IndexKeyword Serach


A grant is a form of aid which does not have to be repaid.

FEDERAL PELL GRANT: The Federal Pell Grant Program provides a "foundation" of financial aid to undergraduates to which aid from other federal, state and private sources may be added. To determine a student's eligibility for a Pell Grant, the U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula to evaluate the information the student supplies on an aid application. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution, which indicates whether or not the student is eligible. This amount is on the Student Aid Report (SAR), which is sent to the student.

FEDERAL SUPPLEMENTAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY GRANT (FSEOG): The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a federally funded grant program. FSEOG's will be awarded first to those undergraduate students with exceptional need, those with the lowest expected family contributions and Federal Pell Grant recipients.

WISCONSIN HIGHER EDUCATION GRANT (WHEG): The Wisconsin Higher Education Grant is a state funded grant available to eligible undergraduate Wisconsin residents who demonstrate financial need. Awards are determined by the Higher Educational Aids Board.

TALENT INCENTIVE PROGRAM GRANT (TIP): The Talent Incentive Program Grant is administered by the Department of Public Instruction's Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program (WEOP). The purpose of TIP is to provide supplemental grant awards to extremely needy nontraditional students. TIP awards are designed to reduce the need for self-help aid during the period of greatest academic vulnerability. Contact your local WEOP Office, 262-227-4942.

INDIAN STUDENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM: The Indian Student Assistance Program grants are available to Native Americans who demonstrate financial need, are enrolled in a post secondary program in Wisconsin, and are Wisconsin residents of one-fourth Native American lineage. Applicants must complete the Indian Scholarship Application available from the Bureau of Indian Affairs, or the Financial Aid Office, in addition to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

NON-RESIDENT GRANT: These grants are available to out-of-state (excluding Minnesota) students enrolled full-time who demonstrate need. Upperclassmen must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or better. These awards cover part of non-resident tuition expenses.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP: Each year UW-Whitewater's Admissions Office selects 10 new freshmen from foreign countries to receive scholarships. The awards are renewable for up to four years. The awards are based on academic record and financial need. Awards are made in the form of a partial waiver of non-resident tuition. Contact the Admissions Office, Baker Hall, 262-472-1440, for more information.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENT GRANT: The Financial Aid Office has a limited amount of funds available to assist continuing students from foreign countries. Applicants must have earned a minimum of 24 units at UW-Whitewater with a minimum G.P.A. of 2.50 for undergraduates. These awards are made on the basis of need resulting from extenuating circumstances. Awards are made in the form of a partial waiver of non-resident tuition.

WISCONSIN HEARING/VISUALLY HANDICAPPED GRANT: These grants provide assistance to Wisconsin residents who are deaf, hard of hearing, or visually handicapped. To qualify, such students need to demonstrate financial need. Grants are determined by the Higher Educational Aids Board.

U.S. AIR FORCE ROTC SCHOLARSHIPS AND INCENTIVES: Air Force ROTC has several types of scholarship opportunities available for students. High school seniors must apply for the Air Force ROTC College Scholarship Program no later that December 3. If selected, high school seniors are awarded 3- and 4-year AFROTC scholarships. For those students already in college and who are eligible, AFROTC offers the Professional Officer Course Incentive. Each term, the incentive pays $1,500 per term for tuition, and $225 for textbooks. Students also receive a monthly stipend of at least $250. For more information, contact the Air Force ROTC representative at 262-472-1876. Campus location is Room 119 Salisbury Hall.

U.S. ARMY RESERVE OFFICER TRAINING CORPS (ROTC) SCHOLARSHIP: There are four categories of annual scholarships awarded by the Department of Army available to students participating in Army ROTC. High school seniors entering a university with Army ROTC may compete with students across the nation for a four-year scholarship. Interested students should contact the Department of Leadership, Military Science and aerospace Studies, 262-472-1541, any time from September 1 through November 1 during their senior year in high school. Two-year, three-year and three and one-half year scholarships are also available to selected students participating in Army ROTC.

LAWTON UNDERGRADUATE MINORITY RETENTION GRANT: These grants provide funds to undergraduate minority students (Hispanic, African-American, Native American, Southeast Asian) who are of at least sophomore status. Qualifying minorities must be U.S. citizens and Wisconsin residents who are enrolled at least half-time and making satisfactory academic progress. Students who demonstrate financial need must have a grade point average of 2.0 or better; students not eligible for financial aid must have a grade point average of 2.4 or better to be considered. Contact the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Support Services, 226 McCutchan Hall, 262-472-4985, for applications and information.

DIVISION OF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION (DVR): DVR assistance is available to students having some type of disability. Vocational Rehabilitation is a Division of the Wisconsin Department of Health and Social Services. Students should contact their local DVR counselor in addition to filing the FAFSA.

UW Logo Registrar's Office - UW-Whitewater
For comments:
Last revised on May 20, 2002 by MAR