Undergraduate Bulletin


GRADE POINT AVERAGE (GPA):The grade point average is based on the computation of credits attempted and honor points earned. It is computed by dividing the honor point total by the total number of credits attempted (excluding credits attempted on a satisfactory/no credit basis). For example, if students undertook 16 credits of work and received a B in each course, they would receive 48 honor points which would give them a grade point average of 3.00. Grade point averages are not rounded.

The undergraduate marking system and credit points for each semester credit are as follows:

     Conventional Grades      Honor Points
          A    Superior            4
          B    Above Average       3
          C    Average             2
          D    Poor                1
          F    Failure             0

N--No Grade Reported: 0 honor points for each semester credit but computed in the grade point average.

I--Incomplete: 0 honor points for each semester credit but not computed in the grade point average. If students have been doing passing work until near the end of a semester or summer school and then, because of illness or other unavoidable circumstances, are prevented from completing the work, their instructor may give them an incomplete and extend to them the privilege of completing the work at a later date. The instructor must give specific directions for the completion of the course on a Contract for Incomplete or Progress Grade and submit it to the Registrar with the final grades. An incompleted course must be completed within the agreed time but no later than the end of the next 17-week semester, or the grade automatically becomes an F unless a default grade was submitted by the teacher with the incomplete grade, in which case the default grade will be assigned. If awarded in the term of graduation, the make-up period is 30 days maximum. In no case will students be given an incomplete when, through their own fault, they failed to complete the requirements of the course on time or failed to report for the final examination as scheduled.

P--Progress: 0 honor points, indicates course in progress toward completion. Can be used only in those courses that extend beyond the end of the semester. If students are given a P (progress) grade in a course, they must complete the work for a permanent grade at the agreed time, but no later than the end of the next 17-week semester, or the grade automatically becomes an F. If awarded in the term of graduation, the make-up period is 30 days maximum.

NC--No Credit: Indicates an unsuccessful (D or F equivalent) attempt of a course on a satisfactory/no credit basis. This grade is not computed in the grade point average.

S--Satisfactory: 0 honor points for each semester credit but not figured in computing grade point average. It represents a C grade or above in a satisfactory/no credit grading situation.

W--Drop/Withdrawal: 0 honor points and 0 credits. Indicates enrollment in the course through the first ten days of the semester or the first five days in a short-term course or summer session with a subsequent course drop or withdrawal.

X--Audit: 0 credits and no honor points.

SEMESTER HONORS: Students having earned a 3.40 or above semester grade point average with no grade below C (D, F, N, or NC), will be granted Academic Honors for that semester. However, to be considered for Academic Honors, students must have successfully completed a minimum of 12 credit hours of work for the semester, at least 9 of which must have been taken on a conventional grade basis.

ABSENCES: Notifying instructors and arranging make-up work in cases involving absence from class are the student's responsibility. If students are absent, they should notify instructors by phone or in person of the absence as soon as possible. If contact with instructors cannot be made directly, students should see that a note is placed in each instructor's mailbox, explaining the nature of the situation and inquiring about the effect of the absence on their course work. If that is impossible, the student should call the academic departments involved. In serious situations where students are incapacitated and temporarily unable to perform the aforementioned responsibilities, family members may contact the Office of New Student Programs, (414-472-3205) for assistance with these matters. That office will then provide notification (not verification) of the absence to the instructors involved; however, arrangements for make-up work or exams, or possible assignment adjustments are entirely the student's responsibility. THE HEALTH AND COUNSELING CENTER AND THE OFFICE OF NEW STUDENT PROGRAMS DO NOT PROVIDE EXCUSES FOR ABSENCES FROM CLASS DUE TO ILLNESS.

If students have questions or need consultation regarding specific situations, they are encouraged to contact their instructors or the academic department involved.

UW-W HomePage index

UW-Whitewater Undergraduate Bulletin - 1995-1997
Office of the Registrar
Formatted by Web Development Team - UWW
Last Update - CG 2/11/96