Undergraduate Bulletin


GENERAL TRANSFER: Transfer course numbers are converted to UW-Whitewater course numbers whenever possible. If a specific course number appears on the evaluation, students must not enroll for the course at UW-Whitewater unless they are repeating a course under the transfer course repeat policy. This would mean loss of credit, since duplicated credit for a course cannot be awarded.

Although grades earned at other post-secondary institutions will be included on the evaluation of transfer credit and the APR, the UW-Whitewater grade point average is not affected by grades earned elsewhere. Grades earned at other institutions are considered only for purposes of determining eligibility for admission to the University and eligibility for registration in certain majors, such as those in business, education, management computer systems, economics, and social work.

For majors requiring higher grade point averages, the combined cumulative GPA of both the transfer college(s) and UW-Whitewater will be used to determine eligibility for course enrollment. Also, business students must complete course work in residence at UW-W in at least six courses (18 credit minimum) in their major field. A maximum of only two transfer courses will be allowed to count in any major in the BBA curriculum. Regardless of major, a minimum of 25% of the major course credits and 25% of the minor course credits must be completed at UW-Whitewater.

In order to be equated to a UW-Whitewater course, a course taken at another post-secondary institution must be taken for at least 2/3 of the number of semester credits for which the course is offered at UW-Whitewater.

Credit may be transferred to UW-Whitewater if the grade earned in the course at the previous institution is recognized as a passing grade (D or better) and the course parallels work offered at UW-Whitewater. If a course is repeated, credit will only be granted for repeated courses in which grades of D and F were received. Students may repeat courses transferred to UW-Whitewater from other post-secondary institutions subject to UW-Whitewater's repeat policy. Please contact the Office of Admissions for further details or reference the repeat policy section of this Bulletin.

Appropriate credits may be transferred from one curriculum to another within the University. Waiver(s) granted by one of the four colleges may not be recognized if the student switches colleges.

Quarter Credits: The number of credits earned for a course taken on the quarter system must be multiplied by 2/3 in order to convert to the semester system. Thus a course for 3 quarter credits would be changed to 2 semester credits when transferred to UW-Whitewater.

It is possible that some credit in academic areas other than those offered at UW-Whitewater may be accepted upon written appeal to the Admission and Academic Standards Committee. In considering appeals, the Committee will consult with the appropriate department chairperson to determine whether the course content is related to the major or minor and whether granting the credit is of demonstrable educational value.

Students who feel that an adjustment in an evaluation is necessary should contact the Admissions Office before proceeding with academic advising and registration. Any adjustment in the credit evaluation must be requested within one year of the date of UW-W enrollment.

TWO-YEAR COLLEGE TRANSFERS: Courses taken at two-year campuses may be equated only to UW-Whitewater 100-level (freshman) or 200-level (sophomore) courses. When a course taken at a two-year college appears to parallel a 300-level (junior) or 400-level (senior) course at UW-Whitewater, the course may be accepted as a general elective.

After accumulating 72 credits, a minimum of 48 additional credits must be earned at UW-Whitewater and/or other accredited four-year colleges before a degree may be awarded. Upper-division UW-Whitewater students who decide to attend a two-year college after accumulating 72 credits toward graduation must obtain prior permission from the dean of their college.

Students enrolled in the Wisconsin Technical College (WTC) System who wish to continue their education at UW-W may be eligible to transfer credits toward their bachelor's degree in the following ways:

  1. Students enrolled in the college parallel programs at Madison Area Technical College, Milwaukee Area Technical College, and Nicolet Area Technical College may be eligible to transfer up to 72 credits toward their baccalaureate degree.
  2. Students who have successfully completed an Associate of Applied Arts or Science Degree in the Wisconsin Technical College System may be eligible to transfer up to 15 credits of general education course work.
  3. Students transferring from the Wisconsin Technical College System may be eligible for credit by earning appropriate scores on standardized examinations (e.g. College Level Examination Program) or examinations developed by UW-W.

For more information about these transfer opportunities, students should consult with their Wisconsin Technical College advisers or the UW-W Admissions Office.

TRANSFER INFORMATION SYSTEM (TIS). The University of Wisconsin System developed a computerized course equivalency matrix which provides transfer information for all UW and WTC institutions. All UW-System and WTC campuses have TIS PCs available for students to easily access transfer information. Although the information is intended to be current and accurate, it should not be considered a contract or a substitute for advising and admission requirements. Students are advised to periodically refer to TIS for updated information. For those interested in using the Transfer Information System at UW-W, contact the Admissions Office, a College Advising Coordinator, or follow procedures available in the McGraw Computing Laboratory.

UNIVERSITY REMEDIAL, PROFICIENCY, GENERAL EDUCATION, AND DIVERSITY FULFILLMENT: Transfer students with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from an accredited Illinois junior college, Madison Area Technical College, Milwaukee Area Technical College, Nicolet Area Technical College, or the University of Wisconsin Center System, who can transfer at least 40 acceptable credits to UW-Whitewater are considered to have fulfilled the University Proficiency and General Education requirements. In addition to satisfying University Proficiency and General Education requirements, the UW-Center Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree awarded since Fall 1991 satisfies the Diversity requirement as well. Advisers should be made aware of this fact so students are not needlessly advised into General Education courses. The final official transcript from the sending institution must indicate that the degree(s) specified have been awarded or the student will be responsible for fulfilling these requirements.

For applicants who have a bachelor's degree from an accredited post-secondary institution and are seeking a second bachelor's degree at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, the first degree satisfies the University Proficiency, General Education and Diversity requirements.

Beginning with the 1996 fall semester, all transfer students will be required to complete the following General Education core course requirements:

# of Credits Transferred                UW-W Core Course Requirements
20 credits or less                      All General Education Core
Courses 21 - 33 credits Three Core Courses (must include
600-390 World of Ideas)

34 - 45 credits Two Core Courses (must include
600-390 World of Ideas)

Greater than 45 credits 600-390 World of Ideas only
-no AA/AS degree

Conferred AA/AS degree General Education requirements from UW-Center System, satisfied Madison/Milwaukee Area Technical Colleges, Nicolet Technical College, or Illinois Junior Colleges

Students transferring without the associate or bachelor's degrees described above are required to complete any remaining University proficiency requirements prior to completion of 60 credits toward graduation. Transfer students with 60 or more credits toward graduation must complete any remaining proficiency requirements within their first UW-W semester.

Students who do not receive transfer credit for English 101 or Mathematics 141 are required to take the English and/or Mathematics Placement Test. ACT/SAT score results may exempt students from the English and mathematics placement tests; see the timetable for most current score requirements. Depending on the placement test results, students may be required to take remedial course work. If so, remedial English (680-090) and remedial mathematics (760-040 and 760-041) must be satisfactorily completed before registering for courses beyond 30 credits.

CREDIT BY EXAMINATION AND ADVANCED STANDING: The University provides opportunities for a student to receive advance academic credit and/or advanced standing on the basis of examination. Students desiring credit by examination should contact the Director of Testing and Student Research for information and the CREDIT BY EXAMINATION OPPORTUNITIES booklet which lists the examinations which have been approved by the University. The maximum number of credits by examination allowed will be 60 credits. This includes departmental and nationally-administered examinations or other credit by examination transferred to UW-W from another institution.

A student with a score of three or better on a College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Advanced Placement Examination will receive credit for a specific course offered at UW-W if the appropriate department has approved the examination and the particular test is included in the CREDIT BY EXAMINATION OPPORTUNITIES booklet. General elective credit will be granted for CEEB Advanced Placement courses even if they do not have direct relationship to specific courses offered at UW-W provided a score of three or better is earned.

The University also recognizes certain tests offered by the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). CLEP examinations include both general and subject examinations. In the case of subject examinations, the appropriate department at UW-Whitewater determines the course for which credit can be granted and the score required. With regard to CLEP General Examinations, the following policies apply:

  1. A student attaining a score of 500 or above on the Social Science-History exam will be awarded 3 credits in social science.

  2. A student attaining a score of 500 or above on the Humanities exam will be awarded 3 credits in fine arts or 3 credits in humanities. The student, with the advice of an adviser, may choose 3 credits in either fine arts or humanities.

  3. A student attaining a score of 500 or above on the Natural Sciences exam will be awarded 5 credits in natural sciences.

All exams must be taken no more than one month after enrolling in college level course work which is covered by the examination to be taken.

Each department at the University is authorized to devise its own test for purposes of granting advance credit for any course offered by the department.

Students may be placed in advanced courses, without receiving advanced credits, on the basis of standardized tests, high school performance, or departmental interviews.

Qualified students may attempt to earn retroactive credits in foreign language (French, German and Spanish). The procedure in each case is outlined in the CREDIT BY EXAMINATION OPPORTUNITIES booklet.

The University also has provisions for awarding advance credits based upon satisfactory scores on International Baccalaureate exams. For specific information concerning credits which may be awarded and the necessary score, students may contact the Director of Testing and Student Affairs Research.

VETERANS: The University is approved by the State of Wisconsin Educational Approval Board for Veterans. Veterans may receive four elective credits if they received an honorable discharge after six months or more of service. The discharge certificate (DD214) must be submitted to the Admissions Office to obtain these credits.

Credit may be granted for formal courses offered by the armed services if the Guide compiled by the American Council on Education so recommends. Check with the Admissions Office for this type of credit.

Questions concerning veterans' educational benefits should be directed to the Veterans' Clerk in the Registrar's Office. Students meeting with the Veterans' Clerk for the first time should be sure to bring along their discharge certificate (DD214).

INTERNATIONAL STUDY TOURS: Prior to participation in an international study tour, it is important that students contact the Admissions Office regarding the transferability and applicability of credit. According to University of Wisconsin System policy, course work from accredited international universities and study abroad programs at accredited United States post-secondary institutions may be accepted in transfer. No credits will be granted on the basis of a transcript furnished by a commercial study tour.

ACADEMIC LOAD: The average course load to graduate in eight semesters is 15 credit hours. A maximum of 18 credits may be taken if students are in good standing. There is a 12-credit maximum for all students in summer session and a 6-credit maximum for special students without credentials during the regular semesters. Students will be limited to 15 credits per semester if they have less than a 2.00 grade point average, are admitted on probation, or are a new freshman who ranks in the lower one-half of their high school graduating class and scores in the lower one-half on the American College Test (ACT) or the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). Permission of the dean of the college in which students are enrolled must be received before they can carry more than the maximum credits allowed according to their academic standing. The maximum credit load for all students during the semester advance registration phase is 16 credits.

Students will not be permitted to enter a course after the fifth day of classes for the term. Exceptions to the deadline must be obtained from the dean of the college of the course. Students will be held responsible for the completion of all courses for which they are registered on that date unless they officially withdraw from the University or officially drop the course by proper procedures.

SENIORS TAKING GRADUATE COURSES: UW-Whitewater undergraduate students with senior status may be allowed to take at most six graduate credits at UW-Whitewater provided they have completed at least 90 semester credits with at least a 2.75 overall grade point average (or 2.90 over the last half of their course work). Seniors must file a Senior Application at the Graduate Office and have the written recommendation of the department chairperson of their undergraduate major. Seniors may not use graduate-level credits to satisfy requirements for the bachelor's degree, and undergraduate fees will be charged for their graduate-level work.

TIMETABLE: Published each term by the Registrar's Office, it includes all policies, procedures, courses offered with their requisites, and other information pertinent to registration.

UW-W HomePage index

UW-Whitewater Undergraduate Bulletin - 1995-1997
Office of the Registrar
Formatted by Web Development Team - UWW
Last Update - CG 2/11/96