Undergraduate Bulletin


A grant is a form of aid which does not have to be repaired.

FEDERAL PELL GRANT: The Federal Pell Grant Program provides a "foundation" of financial aid to undergraduates to which aid from other federal, state and private sources may be added. To determine a student's eligibility for a Pell Grant, the Department of Education uses a standard formula to evaluate the information the student supplies on an aid application. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution, which indicates whether or not the student is eligible. This amount is on the Student Aid Report (SAR), which is sent to the student.

FEDERAL SUPPLEMENTAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY GRANT (FSEOG): The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a federally funded grant program. FSEOG's will be awarded first to those undergraduate students with exceptional need, those with the lowest expected family contributions and Federal Pell Grant recipients.

WISCONSIN HIGHER EDUCATION GRANT (WHEG): The Wisconsin Higher Education Grant is a state funded grant available to eligible undergraduate Wisconsin residents who demonstrate financial need. Awards are determined by the Higher Educational Aids Board.

TALENT INCENTIVE PROGRAM GRANT (TIP): The Talent Incentive Program Grant is administered by the Department of Public Instruction's Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program (WEOP). The purpose of TIP is to provide supplemental grant awards to severely needy nontraditional students. TIP awards are designed to reduce the need for self-help aid during the period of greatest academic vulnerability. Contact your local WEOP Office, 414-227-4942.

INDIAN STUDENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM: The Indian Student Assistance Program grants are available to Native Americans who demonstrate financial need, are enrolled in a post secondary program in Wisconsin, and are Wisconsin residents of one-fourth Native American lineage. Applicants must complete the Indian Scholarship Application available at the Bureau of Indian Affairs, in addition to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

NON-RESIDENT GRANT: These grants are available to out-of-state students enrolled full-time who exhibit scholastic excellence and demonstrate need. Incoming freshmen must rank in the top three-quarters of their class; upperclassmen must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or better. These awards cover part of non-resident tuition expenses.

FOREIGN STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP: Each year UW-Whitewater's Admissions Office selects 20 new freshmen from foreign countries to receive scholarships. The awards are renewable for up to four years. The awards are based on scholastic excellence and financial need. Awards are made in the form of a partial waiver of non-resident tuition. Contact the Admissions Office, Baker Hall, 472-1440, for more information.

FOREIGN STUDENT GRANT: The Financial Aid Office has a limited amount of funds available to assist continuing students from foreign countries. Applicants must have earned a minimum of 24 credits at UW-Whitewater with a minimum G.P.A. of 2.50 for undergraduates and 3.00 for graduates. These awards are made on the basis of need resulting from extenuating circumstances. Awards are made in the form of a partial waiver of non-resident tuition.

WISCONSIN DEAF/BLIND HANDICAPPED GRANT: These grants provide assistance to Wisconsin residents who are deaf, hard of hearing, or visually handicapped. To qualify, such students need to demonstrate financial need. Grants are determined by the Higher Educational Aids Board.

U.S. ARMY RESERVE OFFICER TRAINING CORPS (ROTC) SCHOLARSHIP: There are four categories of annual scholarships awarded by the Department of Army available to students participating in Army ROTC. High school seniors entering a university with Army ROTC may compete with students across the nation for a four-year scholarship. Interested students should contact the Department of Military Science at UW-Madison any time from September 1 through December 1 during their senior year in high school. Two-year and three-year scholarships are also available to selected students participating in Army ROTC.

LAWTON UNDERGRADUATE MINORITY RETENTION GRANT: These grants provide funds to undergraduate minority students (Hispanic, Black, Native American, Southeast Asian) who have at least 24 earned credits. Qualifying minorities must be U.S. citizens and Wisconsin residents who are enrolled at least half-time and making satisfactory academic progress. Students who demonstrate financial need must have a grade point average of 2.0 or better; students not eligible for financial aid must have a grade point average of 2.4 or better to be considered. Contact the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Support Services, 226 McCutchan Hall, 472-4985, for applications and information.

DIVISION OF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION (DVR): DVR assistance is available to students having some type of disability. Vocational Rehabilitation is a Division of the Wisconsin Department of Health and Social Services. Students should contact their local DVR counselor in addition to filing the FAFSA.


A loan is a form of financial assistance which must be repaid and should only be accepted with the full realization of that responsibility.

FEDERAL PERKINS LOAN PROGRAM: Federal Perkins Loans are available to undergraduate and graduate students. Awards are determined by the Financial Aid Office based upon financial need and availability of funds. Borrowers must sign a promissory note for the loan, which is interest-free as long as they are enrolled at least half-time at any eligible institution. Repayment of the principal plus 5% interest per year begins six months after the student leaves school or graduates. Repayment is determined by federal regulations.

FEDERAL STAFFORD LOAN (Subsidized): The Federal Stafford Loan enables undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at least half-time to borrow directly from a bank, credit union, savings and loan association, or other participating lender. To be eligible, students must demonstrate financial need. Federal Stafford Loans are guaranteed by a guaranty agency. Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation is the primary guarantor in Wisconsin.

Undergraduate freshmen are limited to loans of $2,625; sophomores (25-59.5 credits) are limited to $3,500; junior and senior undergraduates (students with 60 credits or more) are limited to $5,500. Graduate students are eligible to receive up to $7,500 per year. Undergraduates are limited to a cumulative total of $23,000 in Federal Stafford Loans, and there is a $65,500 cumulative total for undergraduate and graduate study.

Federal Stafford Loans are interest-free until six months after graduation or the time the student leaves school. An insurance fee and an origination fee are assessed at the time the loan is made. Interest rates may vary from year to year and will be determined by the Federal Government. The interest rate cannot exceed 9%.

FEDERAL STAFFORD LOAN (Unsubsidized): To be eligible, students do NOT need to demonstrate financial need. However, students are obligated to pay all interest even while enrolled, which differs from the subsidized loan. The same borrowing limits apply less amounts borrowed under the subsidized program. For example, a freshman may borrow a maximum of $2,625 per year in combination of both programs.

FEDERAL PLUS LOAN: The Federal PLUS Loan program enables credit-worthy parents of dependent students to borrow. A Federal PLUS Loan may not exceed the student's estimated cost of attendance minus any estimated financial assistance the student has been or will be awarded during the period of enrollment. Funds are borrowed from private lenders.

An insurance fee and an origination fee are assessed at the time the loan is made. Interest rates may vary from year to year and will be determined by the Federal Government. The interest rate cannot exceed 10%. Information regarding interest rates, deferments, and repayment terms is available from private lenders. Loans are co-payable to the parent and the school. Applications are available from lenders and the Financial Aid Office.

UW-W HomePage index  major index  course index

UW-Whitewater Undergraduate Bulletin - 1995-1997
Office of the Registrar
Formatted by Web Development Team - UWW
Last Update - CG 2/11/96