Undergraduate Bulletin


    Campus Directory:     472-1234
    Information Center:   472-1170
    Ticket Center:        472-2222
    FAX:                  472-3900

The University Center (UC) is considered a gathering place for the campus community. It's a great place to attend a program, work on group projects or study individually, shoot a game of pool, grab a snack or enjoy a full-sized meal, and best of all--to meet up with friends. Activity thrives in the UC!

Students will soon discover there is a number of offices and services in the UC which have been carefully designed to meet students' needs. They'll find study lounges, meeting and conference rooms, four dining areas, the Convenience Store, Adult Resource Center, The Center Gallery, the Multicultural Education Center, Credit Union, TYME machine, Ride Board, and more.

One of the best ways to learn about the daily events in the building or around campus is to stop by the Information/Ticket Center. This is also the place to purchase tickets for Cultural Affairs, Theatre/Dance, athletic events, and other campus programs. Another timely way for students to find out what is happening is the "UC Weekly" newsletter, which is distributed every Monday.

Student organizations such as the University Center Activities Board, the Whitewater Student Association, the "Royal Purple" (student newspaper) and the UW-W Student Foundation are also located in the UC. And, if students want to relax between classes, they can go to the Recreation Center to have some fun.

The University Center also provides a number of employment opportunities for students. Positions available range from working as an Information Desk Attendant to a Building Manager, and from a Technical Services Crew Member to a Graphic Artist. These positions can help give students professional experience in their chosen area of study. They also get the chance to work with other students, faculty and staff and gain many new insights into how campus departments work together. In addition, some positions are arranged for students to earn academic credits.

Come to the University Center and join in the activity. You'll soon find "You're Among Friends" in the University Center.

CAMPUS ACTIVITIES AND PROGRAMS (UC 264): Each week there is a variety of programs to attend or to be a part of the planning. These range from recreational events, entertainment and social activities, to educational experiences and cultural events.

Coordination of many of these events is the job of the Campus Activities and Programs (CAP) office. The staff also assists students and student groups by advising student organizations, coordinating room reservations, and sponsoring special programs such as Homecoming and the Campus Awards Reception.

The University Center Activities Board (UCAB) is the student programming board which develops, coordinates and produces events in the University Center. By working with one of the UCAB committees such as Comedy, Live Entertainment, Insights and Ideas, Special Events, or Public Relations, students can enhance their formal education by building skills and exploring new interests. Students who get involved with UCAB make a difference and affect the university community.

Other popular programs offered to students are the Emerging Leaders and Mosaique Internship program. These opportunities promote a cooperative method of learning leadership skills.

THE RECREATION CENTER (UC 22): For a great place to meet new people and have fun with friends, visit the University Center Recreation Center (UC Rec Center). The Rec Center is located in the lower level of the south end of the University Center. A 10-lane bowling center, 8 full-sized pool tables, foosball, air hockey, electronic darts, and two dozen video and pinball games are featured in the Rec Center.

Intramural bowling and billiards leagues begin the fourth week of each semester. Bowling and billiards tournaments and weekly specials are held throughout the school year. Student groups and Residence Hall wings or floors can reserve the bowling center or billiards tables for parties by contacting the UC Recreation Advisor at 472-5681.

In addition, camping and canoeing equipment is available for rent from the UC Rec Center. Items include canoes, tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, lanterns, inner tubes, bike packs, cooking kits and more. Free maps and brochures from many of Wisconsin's counties and state parks are also available.

The UC Rec Center is open seven days a week during the regular school year. Call 472-1164 for information about rates, daily specials and open bowling hours.

CONVENIENCE STORE (UC 15): The Convenience Center is located next to the Information Center, and provides snacks and quick meal items for students and staff on the go. Also available are clothing and school supplies, cleaning and grocery products, health and beauty items, and photo processing services.

THE CENTER GALLERY (located next to the Credit Union): The Center Gallery features diverse presentations of two and three-dimensional artwork from students, faculty, visiting artists, and traveling shows. The Center Gallery is open Monday through Friday during the academic year.

CREDIT UNION (UC 121): For banking needs, the University of Wisconsin Credit Union is located in the University Center. Services include checking accounts and TYME, savings and investments, student loans, consumer and home loans, Master and Visa cards, and electronic services.

ADULT RESOURCE CENTER (UC 3A/3B): The Adult Resource Center offers resources and programs on relationships, parenting, personal growth, men's and women's issues and much more. It's a friendly place to visit, meet others, and relax between classes.

CULTURAL ORGANIZATIONS (UC 122): Students can culturally enrich their lives through the Multicultural Education Center (MEC). The MEC sponsors a variety of speakers, films and events intended to enhance cultural awareness. Stop by and enjoy displays of different cultures and find out when the next event will be presented. In addition to the MEC, student organizations such as the Black Student Union (BSU), Latinos Unidos, Asian Student Association, Indonesian Student Association, Chinese Student Association, and the International Club, offer culturally enriching activities for the campus community.

DINING AREAS: There are four main dining areas in the University Center, each with its own specialties. These include:

The Commons features home-style hot luncheon entrees, made to order jumbo croissant sandwiches, homemade soups, and all-you-can-eat salad bar. The Graham Street Cafe offers fresh homemade bakery goods, cappuccino, made to order submarine sandwiches on freshly baked bread, and made-from-scratch soups. The Cafe also offers weekly specialty bars, salads and tempting dessert items ranging from specialty candies to malts and banana splits. The Down Under offers hot cheesy pizzas, gourmet burgers, chicken sandwiches, onion rings and other appetizers. A selection of imported beers and wine coolers are also offered. Live entertainment, a big-screen T.V., and a sports club atmosphere make the Down Under a fun place to hang out. The Warhawk is a favorite student hangout and features Burger King and Taco Bell serving grilled and Mexican favorites, as well as weekly value meals. Fresh bakery items are also available from Dunkin Donuts, and Baskin Robbins offers tasty frozen treats.

These places provide an ideal opportunity to meet friends between or after classes and to enjoy a great meal.

MEAL PLANS: Freshman and sophomore students living in University residence halls are required to participate in a food service meal plan. There are four basic plans to choose from: 19 meals per week, any 14 meals per week, any 10 meals per week or any 5 meals per week. Students may also add on $25.00 in points to any of these plans which can be used as cash in any of the dining halls.

The Center Point Plan gives the junior, senior or off-campus student a minimum of $50.00 in points which can be used in any of the University Center restaurants (The Commons, Down Under, Graham Street Cafe, or The Warhawk.) As with the above points, these can be added throughout the semester, but must be used by the end of each semester. They do not carry over from one semester to another. Further information can be obtained from the ID/Meal Plan Office, UC 245, or by calling 472-1437, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.

UNIVERSITY BOOKSTORE: The University Bookstore, located in Moraine Hall, provides personal and educational materials to students and faculty. In addition to course textbooks and manuals, dictionaries, magazines, records and an array of books such as best sellers, classics, home and health books, children's books and course related titles are available in the book department. In the supply department, students may obtain supplies for Art, Biology and other courses as well as notebooks, paper and general school supplies. In addition, cards, posters, and sundries are available. Jackets, shorts, sweatshirts, knapsacks and T-shirts are popular items. Film processing, class rings, caps and gowns, laminating, and special orders are other services provided by the Bookstore staff.


FACILITIES The Office of Residence Life administers thirteen residence halls that can accommodate approximately 4,000 students. Residence halls range in size from 200 to 600 residents and offer a range of living options such as single sex and coed halls, coed floors, coed wings, smoke-free halls, upperclass floors and halls, academic focus halls, and a "Healthy Lifestyle" floor. In addition, residents may choose from single rooms, double rooms, triple rooms and two and four-person suites.

All residence halls offer completely furnished rooms, as well as kitchens, study lounges, laundry facilities, and TV lounges. Many halls offer other amenities such as saunas, ice machines, game rooms and meeting rooms. All residence hall students are invited to use the computer labs in Wells and Drumlin Halls.

STAFF Each Residence Hall is administered by a Residence Hall Director who is a professional staff member with a Master's Degree in College Student Personnel, Counseling or a related field. The Hall Director works closely with an Assistant Hall Director who is a graduate student at UW-W with previous residence hall experience. A Resident Assistant (RA) lives on each wing and assists students with the residential living experience. Additionally, each complex will employ a Diversity Advocate to assist minority students and to educate all residents about issues of diversity. Custodians work hard in each building to keep public area facilities clean and in top shape. All of these staff members are eager to work with residents to meet their on-campus housing needs.

PROGRAMMING AND INVOLVEMENT The UW-Whitewater Residence Halls are proud to offer a variety of programming and involvement opportunities to meet the needs of all students. Hall, house and floor governments in each building work with the staff to plan many different activities such as dances, dinners, movie nights, trips, intramural teams, study skill programs, and speakers to present a variety of topics.

University Fitness is located in the lower level of Wells Hall and membership is available for a nominal fee to all students. The Cable 6 Television station also operates through the Office of Residence Life and offers opportunities for involvement.

The Office of Residence Life is a large student employer on campus and is often recruiting for many positions such as RA, desk receptionist, student custodian, clerical assistant, graphic artist, fitness instructor, grounds crew worker, and many others. Students who seek information about these positions, or any aspect of Residence Life, should feel free to call for more information.

RESIDENCY POLICIES All freshman and sophomore students with fewer than 60 credits are required to live in university-operated residence halls. Exceptions can be made for students who are veterans, are married, if two academic years or more have elapsed since earning a high school diploma or equivalent, or who have university permission to live at home. A notarized request for commuter status must be filed with the Office of Residence Life. Students may also be exempted from this policy if they have resided in university-owned residence halls for at least four semesters.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE Further information about housing, along with an application, is sent to students upon their admission to the university. Students are required to submit a $125 prepayment with their residence hall application and contract acceptance form. This prepayment is non-refundable after the May 1 contract cancellation deadline identified in the contract.

Additional information about university-owned residence halls is available by calling the Office of Residence Life at 472-4255.


The Whitewater Student Government is the official representative of the student body. It has the primary responsibility for University policy concerning student life, services, and interests, and also maintains several agencies which provide a variety of services to the University and community.

Structurally, the Whitewater Student Government consists of an executive branch and the Student Senate.

By meeting the responsibilities given to it by state law, the Whitewater Student Government gives students an opportunity to become involved in University governance and to develop their initiative and leadership.

Any questions, comments or suggestions are welcome, and can be directed to the Whitewater Student Government Office at University Center 261; the telephone number is 472-1166, and the FAX number is 472-5097.

UNIVERSITY HEALTH AND COUNSELING SERVICES Ambrose Health Center Health Services 472-1300 Counseling Services 472-1305

The University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS) provides comprehensive services and referrals for multiple concerns related to students' physical and mental health. Services are available to all currently registered UW-W students from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters; hours vary during the evening and during summer session and break periods. A 24-hour Crisis Line, phone 472-5770, is available for all students. UHCS staff are committed to quality service and health education with services, programs and consultations provided in many different settings (individually and with groups).

Health services include consultation and treatment by physicians, nurse practitioners, and nurse clinicians for illnesses and injuries. Many laboratory tests (including cholesterol screen and HIV testing) and some medications are provided. Programs include weight control counseling, smoking cessation, nutrition counseling for students with eating disorders and borderline cholesterol levels, allergy shots, cold self-care, contraceptive services, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases through regular Personal Reproductive Care (PRC) clinics, and assistance in coordination of health care for students with chronic illnesses and/or physical disabilities. UHCS does not provide eye examinations, dental care, or consultation with specialists. Assistance with referrals to outside sources of care is provided, if needed. Charges are made for some services and supplies within the Health Services, and all outside services are the financial responsibility of the student. A number of outreach programs is offered by staff and peer educators, and again focus on the individual's rights and responsibilities with personal health care issues.

Health insurance is recommended; a policy is endorsed by the university and information is available from UHCS. Hospital care is available when needed in nearby communities. Transportation can be arranged to Fort Atkinson, Janesville or Elkhorn for medical consultation/urgent care both day and night; call UHCS (1300 or 1305) or University Police (4660). In the case of emergencies, the City of Whitewater Rescue Squad should be contacted by calling 911 off-campus or 9-911 on-campus.

Counseling services include individual and group counseling (primarily short-term) for UW-W students dealing with a number of personal issues. In addition, consultation is available to faculty, staff and students. Significant outreach efforts are made with the campus and the community. The primary focus is on prevention and education in these outreach programs.

The services are staffed by professional psychologists and counselors, as well as supervised counselors-in-training. If immediate or direct services are not available here, assistance is offered with appropriate referrals. This is especially important when there is a need for a psychiatric evaluation and/or follow-up since there is not a psychiatrist on the UHCS staff. Students with ANY personal concerns (adjustment to college, relationship issues, stress management, self-esteem, roommate problems, eating disorders, sexuality issues, or even feeling better about life) should be encouraged to ask for help at UHCS. ALL SERVICES OF UHCS ARE CONFIDENTIAL.


Most students take advantage of the services of the Career Services Office as they explore career fields, develop career plans, prepare themselves for the job search process and actually search for employment. Valuable information and assistance are available to all undergraduate students, graduate students and alumni of the University. Services include individual and group career counseling, a library of career information, computer guidance systems, regular listings of job opportunities, assistance in establishing credential files, creative job hunting, resume and cover letter writing, job-interviewing skills and referral to employers. Students are encouraged to take advantage of career planning and placement services during their college years.


The Whitewater Women's Center is located in Salisbury Hall and is open during Fall and Spring semesters. It is a safe place for all women on campus to receive help, support, information, referrals and advocacy, ranging from issues of sexual assault to support groups for victims of abuse.

The Center is a place where women can work together toward dissolving barriers, rules and attitudes which deny women education, earning power, choices about their own lives or the right to stand with pride as women. This is done through educational programs, support groups and advocacy efforts.

Referrals utilize agencies both on and off campus that can best provide assistance to those in need. The Center also has a resource library on women's issues.


The Multicultural Education Center (MEC), located in UC 122, provides a friendly and inviting atmosphere which brings students, faculty and staff to its doors. The MEC has a wide array of multicultural resources that are available for students, staff and faculty. Some of these resources include information on campus activities, information on leadership programs, and an extensive multicultural library. In addition, the MEC provides support and leadership to educational programs, which are existent or newly developed on campus. The MEC is open to all visitors during its regular hours: Monday-Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Please contact the staff at 472-2798 with any questions about its resources or to reserve the facilities.


The University offers high-quality preschool and school-age programs for children of students, faculty and staff ages 2-6 years during Spring and Fall Semesters and 2-12 years during Summer Session. Part-time and full-time schedules are available to suit parents' class, work and study times on and off-campus. The Children's Center also serves as a teacher-training site and is state-licensed and nationally-accredited. The Center is open Monday through Friday 7:30 am - 5:30 pm during the Spring and Fall Semesters and Monday through Friday 7:15 am - 1:30 pm during the Summer Session. For information regarding curriculum, registration and fees write or call: Director, University Children's Center, Roseman Building Room 1035, UW-Whitewater, (414) 472-1768.


INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS The Director of International Programs provides individual and group counseling services and orientation, and assists international students with personal, academic, and financial problems as well as problems with housing, food, or immigration. The office also serves as a liaison with the academic and administrative areas of the University and coordinates cultural and social programs that interface foreign and domestic cultures such as the International Dinner, Heritage Fair, UN Day, Host Family Program and International Week.

STUDY ABROAD AND FACULTY EXCHANGE The Director of International Programs provides necessary services and assistance to students who are interested in participating in study abroad, travel, or exchange opportunities. In addition, the Director works closely with the Director of Faculty Exchange and Fulbright Programs in assisting faculty who may be interested in faculty exchanges.


Fraternities. Nine general Greek fraternities maintain chapters on the Whitewater campus. Eight of these--Alpha Phi Alpha, Delta Chi, Kappa Alpha Pi, Lambda Chi Alpha, Omega Psi Phi, Phi Beta Sigma, Phi Sigma Kappa, and Tau Kappa Epsilon--are nationally affiliated. Phi Chi Epsilon is a local fraternity. A male student may become acquainted with a fraternity through inquiry to the respective fraternity.

Sororities. Eight sororities maintain chapters on the Whitewater campus. Six of these--Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Delta Zeta, Sigma Gamma Rho, Sigma Sigma Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta--are nationally affiliated. Alpha Sigma and Zeta Sigma Chi are local sororities.


Roseman 1004 472-4711 (V/TT)

UW-Whitewater has had a program to provide services for students with disabilities since the 1970-71 school year. In 1973, the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System gave UW-Whitewater a unique, specific mission to provide services for students with disabilities. As a result, the UW-Whitewater campus is one of the most accessible campuses in the nation. More than $5 million has already been expended to make programs and facilities accessible. In addition, professional staff members in Disabled Student Services and other Student Affairs Offices are available to provide a wide variety of services to meet both ordinary and unique needs of students with disabilities. The primary goal is to integrate disabled students into existing programs to the maximum extent possible. Specialized services are provided to meet unique needs.

Services include, but are not limited to:

Roseman 1004

This is an organization open to ALL interested people. The organization was originally formed to meet the special needs of disabled students on campus, i.e., building modification and transportation. With the increased accessibility of the campus, SAS is gearing itself more towards political, social and economic concerns of disabled individuals. Its goal is to work not only on removing architectural barriers, but also on removing attitudinal barriers created by society's stereotypes.

For further information on SAS, or for information concerning other areas (i.e. transportation, housing, aides, physical therapy), students may contact Disabled Student Services at 472-4711.


The "Royal Purple" is an independent student newspaper of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater which is published weekly. Students can obtain hands-on editorial or advertising experience while receiving course credit. The "Royal Purple" also offers students the opportunity of advancement to editorial and business management positions.


MEN: 10 varsity sports . . . Member of Wisconsin State University Conference. Affiliated with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) III . . . Football . . . Cross Country . . . Basketball . . . Swimming . . . Wrestling . Indoor/Outdoor Track and Field . . . Tennis . . . Baseball . . . Soccer

WOMEN: 11 varsity sports . . . Member of the Wisconsin Women's Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and the NCAA Division III . . . Volleyball . . . Swimming . . . Gymnastics . . . Basketball . . . Softball . . . Tennis . . . Indoor/Outdoor Track and field . . . Golf. . . Cross Country . . . Soccer


Sports facilities are open evenings and weekends for unorganized recreational use. Indoor facilities are available for such activities as basketball, volleyball, badminton, weight lifting and swimming. Outdoor areas and facilities are also available for such activities as softball, football, tennis, sandpit volleyball, and basketball. A walking/jogging trail is located near Warhawk Stadium for recreational use. Equipment checkout is available for these activities with a valid University I.D. Facility reservations are also available for any of the indoor or outdoor facilities, as well as the Lawcon picnic shelter near Wells Hall. A nominal weight room membership fee is required, and can be purchased through the Office of Recreation Sports and Facilities, Room 142 Williams Center. Call 472-1544 for further information.


An extensive program of intramural sports is available for male and female students, faculty or staff. Tournaments and leagues are conducted throughout the year in various activities such as flag football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, wrestling, softball, tennis, sandpit volleyball, inner tube water polo and floor hockey. Entry forms for these activities are available in the Intramural Office, Room 142 Williams Center. Call 472-1145 for further information.


A more in-depth sports experience than the intramural and/or general recreation program, it blends aspects of learning new skills, practicing with fellow participants and competing against clubs from other campuses. Active clubs include ice hockey, men's volleyball, lacrosse, tactics, bowling, rugby, hang gliding, billiards, karate, hobbits outdoor, martial arts and skiing. Contact the Club Sports Office, Room 142 Williams Center. Call 472-1145 for further information.


The following religious organizations are represented on campus: Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship, Catholic Student Association (Roman Catholic), Lutheran/Episcopal Student Association, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Latter Day Saints Student Association, UW-W Gospel Choir, Foolish Wisdom Clown Troop, and WELS Campus Ministry. In addition, the Campus Ministry Center is affiliated with the following religious faiths: Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopal, and United Ministries in Higher Education (Presbyterian, Congregational United Church of Christ, United Methodist, and American Baptist). Local churches or off-campus houses maintained by religious organizations provide the facilities for religious and social programs. Some meetings are held in University facilities.

UW-W HomePage Index Major Index Course Index

UW-Whitewater Undergraduate Bulletin - 1995-1997
Office of the Registrar
Formatted by Web Development Team - UWW
Last Update - CG 2/11/96