A grant is a form of aid which does not have to be repaid.

FEDERAL PELL GRANT: The Federal Pell Grant Program provides a "foundation" of financial aid to undergraduates to which aid from other federal, state and private sources may be added. To determine a student's eligibility for a Pell Grant, the Department of Education uses a standard formula to evaluate the information the student supplies on an aid application. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution, which indicates whether or not the student is eligible. This amount is on the Student Aid Report (SAR), which is sent to the student.

FEDERAL SUPPLEMENTAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY GRANT (FSEOG): The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a federally funded grant program. FSEOG's will be awarded first to those undergraduate students with exceptional need, those with the lowest expected family contributions and Federal Pell Grant recipients.

WISCONSIN HIGHER EDUCATION GRANT (WHEG): The Wisconsin Higher Education Grant is a state funded grant available to eligible undergraduate Wisconsin residents who demonstrate financial need. Awards are determined by the Higher Educational Aids Board.

TALENT INCENTIVE PROGRAM GRANT (TIP): The Talent Incentive Program Grant is administered by the Department of Public Instruction's Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program (WEOP). The purpose of TIP is to provide supplemental grant awards to severely needy nontraditional students. TIP awards are designed to reduce the need for self-help aid during the period of greatest academic vulnerability. Contact your local WEOP Office, 414-227-4942.

INDIAN STUDENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM: The Indian Student Assistance Program grants are available to Native Americans who demonstrate financial need, are enrolled in a post secondary program in Wisconsin, and are Wisconsin residents of one-fourth Native American lineage. Applicants must complete the Indian Scholarship Application available at the Bureau of Indian Affairs, in addition to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

NON-RESIDENT GRANT: These grants are available to out-of-state students enrolled full-time who exhibit scholastic excellence and demonstrate need. Incoming freshmen must rank in the top three-quarters of their class; upperclassmen must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or better. These awards cover part of non-resident tuition expenses.

FOREIGN STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP: Each year UW-Whitewater's Admissions Office selects 20 new freshmen from foreign countries to receive scholarships. The awards are renewable for up to four years. The awards are based on scholastic excellence and financial need. Awards are made in the form of a partial waiver of non-resident tuition. Contact the Admissions Office, Baker Hall, 472-1440, for more information.

FOREIGN STUDENT GRANT: The Financial Aid Office has a limited amount of funds available to assist continuing students from foreign countries. Applicants must have earned a minimum of 24 credits at UW-Whitewater with a minimum G.P.A. of 2.50 for undergraduates and 3.00 for graduates. These awards are made on the basis of need resulting from extenuating circumstances. Awards are made in the form of a partial waiver of non-resident tuition.

WISCONSIN DEAF/BLIND HANDICAPPED GRANT: These grants provide assistance to Wisconsin residents who are deaf, hard of hearing, or visually handicapped. To qualify, such students need to demonstrate financial need. Grants are determined by the Higher Educational Aids Board.

U.S. AIR FORCE ROTC SCHOLARSHIPS: High school seniors entering a university with Air Force ROTC may compete with students from across the nation for three and four year scholarships to cover tuition, books and fees. Students who are already in college can apply for two and three year scholarships at specific intervals during the school year. In addition, the Air Force routinely sponsors a series of special scholarships targeted for specific majors, or to address under representation of some racial or ethnic groups in the Air Force. Lastly, the Air Force sponsors incentive scholarships in the amount of $1,000 per semester for individuals in their last two years of training, in addition to the $150 per month they receive for participating.

U.S. ARMY RESERVE OFFICER TRAINING CORPS (ROTC) SCHOLARSHIP: There are four categories of annual scholarships awarded by the Department of Army available to students participating in Army ROTC. High school seniors entering a university with Army ROTC may compete with students across the nation for a four-year scholarship. Interested students should contact the Department of Military Science at UW-Madison any time from September 1 through December 1 during their senior year in high school. Two-year and three-year scholarships are also available to selected students participating in Army ROTC.

LAWTON UNDERGRADUATE MINORITY RETENTION GRANT: These grants provide funds to undergraduate minority students (Hispanic, Black, Native American, Southeast Asian) who have at least 24 earned credits. Qualifying minorities must be U.S. citizens and Wisconsin residents who are enrolled at least half-time and making satisfactory academic progress. Students who demonstrate financial need must have a grade point average of 2.0 or better; students not eligible for financial aid must have a grade point average of 2.4 or better to be considered. Contact the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Support Services, 226 McCutchan Hall, 472-4985, for applications and information.

DIVISION OF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION (DVR): DVR assistance is available to students having some type of disability. Vocational Rehabilitation is a Division of the Wisconsin Department of Health and Social Services. Students should contact their local DVR counselor in addition to filing the FAFSA.

 major index  course index

UW-Whitewater Undergraduate Bulletin - 1997-1999
Office of the Registrar
Formatted by Matt Benson - UWW
Last Update - LW 8/31/97