College of Letters & Sciences
Advising Banner


Contact Information

Annie LaValley
Advising Coordinator
Phone: (262) 472-1550
Location: Laurentide 4111

Peggy Strong
Advising Program Assistant  
Phone: (262) 472-1550
Location: Laurentide 4116

Transfer Students

Transfer students are not required to submit ACT/SAT scores; their placement into math and English is based on one of the following:

Primary: Coursework from a transfer institution
Secondary: ACT/SAT scores if submitted (scores are on WINS)
UW Placement Tests if neither of the above are available.

Questions: Contact the Testing Center at (262) 472-5613 , the Math Dept. at (262) 472-1313, and/or the English Dept. at (262) 472- 1036

Evaluation of Transfer Courses

Students must submit transcripts to the admissions office from all institutions attended (including high school). The admissions office will evaluate the coursework, and post it to the student’s record. This record includes what students identify on their admission application as currently enrolled courses ("tentative courses"). They must follow this up with a final transcript.

"TNT" on the Advising Report stands for "Transfer Tentative." This means that the Admissions office has not yet received final transcripts. If a student does not successfully complete tentative coursework, his/her Gen Ed requirements could change.

Transfer Electives

Transfer courses may be assigned a "999" course number (such as English 999). These courses will count for credit, but may not fulfill requirements until the courses have been evaluated by the appropriate departments.

Advising for Transfer Students

Students with fewer than 24 units (including tentative) are advised at the Advising Center (Roseman 2054).
Students with 24 or more units are advised by faculty in their major department (check WINS or the Department Office).
Check your WINS page to find your advisor’s name and email.

General Education Requirements for Transfer Students:

Students with fewer than 21 transfer credits should follow the General Education Program outlined here.

Students who have earned an associate degree
(Assoc. of Arts, Assoc of Science Assoc. of Arts and Sciences) from an approved General Education transfer program are waived from all University General Education Requirements (including World of Ideas). Contact the Admissions Office for information.

Students must still complete specific UWW requirements for their degree (BA, BS, BSE), for their majors, and their minors.

Note: The Diversity requirement is waived for some Associate Degrees, but not others. Check your Advising Report for information.

will need to fulfill Gen Ed requirements including Diversity and must have 32 units of Gen Ed coursework as outlined below.

Communication and Calculation Skills (12 credits or waivers):
English 101: Freshman Composition I
English 102: Freshman Composition II
Speech 110: Fundamentals of Speech
Math 141 (or 140): Intermediate Algebra

Quantitative and Technical Reasoning (7-11 credits)
Selected from science, math and computer science courses from at least two different disciplines. At least one course must be a 4-5 credit laboratory science.

Core Curriculum (12 credits)
Students with 40 or more transfer credits (no associate degree) will follow the core curriculum outlined below. World of Ideas is required.

Students with 21-39.9 transfer credits are responsible for the World of Ideas and one additional core. This additional Core course will be determined by the Asst. Dean of L&S and will be indicated on the students’ Advising Reports.

Cultural Heritages (6 credits)
One course designated as General Studies Arts (GA)
Core 900-390: The World of Ideas

Communities (6 credits)
One course designated as General Studies Social Sciences (GS)
One course designated as General Studies Humanities (GH)

Physical Health and Well-Being (1-2 credits)
1-2 units of Physical Education Designated as GP

Breadth Electives (7-12 credits)
Select from courses in the arts, humanities, social sciences, ethnic studies, women studies and interdisciplinary courses. (No more than one course from a discipline may be counted in electives)

Repeating Transfer Courses

Students may repeat a D or an F that they received at their former institution by taking an equivalent course at UWW. Courses that are evaluated as "999" cannot be repeated. The second grade will be used when factoring the combined GPA. These repeats are subject to other repeat rules (see The Degree Planning Guide and the University Catalog). It is best to consult an advisor before repeating a course.

Excess Credits Policy

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents has established an Excess Credits Policy requiring resident undergraduate students to pay a surcharge for all credits beyond 165 that are earned toward their first undergraduate degree. This policy includes all earned credits from UW-Whitewater as well as earned credits from other UW System schools or Wisconsin Technical Colleges System (WTCS) schools that are accepted for your degree. Credits from non-UW or WTCS schools do not count toward this policy, nor do Advanced Placement, retroactive, credits by exam, and remedial credits.
Contact the Director of L&S Advising for information.

Transfer Issues: Troubleshooting

Within a year of a student’s first enrollment, he/she can request that Admissions re-evaluate the course. Students may also appeal to an academic office to have a transfer course "substituted" for a course in the curriculum:

English 101 and 102 - English Dept., HE 405
Math - Math Dept.,B 205
Speech - Communications Dept., HE 465
Gen Ed and Diversity - Asst. Dean of L&S, S 124
Major and minor - Dept. Office of the major or minor

For assistance with transfer issues, contact:
Annie Weberpal, Advising Coordinator Director of L&S Advising
LT 4111, 262 472-1555

It is often a good idea for transfer students to schedule an appointment with the Advising Coordinator during their initial semester to verify that their transfer records are accurate.

For the following issues, you may need assistance:

  • If your transfer units are not appearing on the AR.
  • If you have taken a college level English or Math course and the lower level requirements need to be waived.
  • If your transfer courses carry credits that are different than ours---such as 2.7 instead of 3 units. (We generally use a 2/3 rule to judge whether it has fulfilled a requirement.) Also, some students may transfer in a course that carries more units than our course. In these cases, the AR may not accept the course in a requirement and will need to be personalized.