- Dr. Chris Veldkamp and undergraduate student Larry Wiliams, alumni, have co-authored an article that has been published in the journal Science. The full story can be viewed at this link.
Promotions and awards:
- Dr. Catherine Chan is the recipient for the 19th Annual Outstanding Women of Color in Education Award Nomination for UW-W.
- Dr. Chris Veldkamp is promoted to an Associate Professor with tenure.
- Dr. John Ejnik received College of Letters and Sciences Excellence in Research Award (2014).
- Dr. Hephzibah Kumpaty received College of Letters and Sciences Excellence in Service Award and UW-W Service Award (2013).
- Dr. Steven Girard has been hired as an Assistant Professor (August 2014). His specialization is in the area of nano-materials. He got his Ph.D. from Northwestern University in 2014.
- Dr. Veldkamp received a three-year, $334,633 Academic Research Enhancement Award from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in 2011.
- Dr. Jessica Menke and Dr. Kim Naber were involved in the development of laboratory safety training in Second Life. Their project results evolved into a business plan which placed in two competitions (UWW Warhawk Business Plan Competition - 2nd place & BizStarts Business Plan Competition - 3rd place). This then led to the project continuing at the Whitewater University Technology Park Innovation Center iHUB and iFellow programs during the summer of 2012.
Additional positions held by Chemistry personnel:
- Dr. Catherine Chan is the director of Undergraduate research Program
- Dr. John Ejnik is the coordinator for Integrated Science and Business majors
Science Undergraduate Research Program
Drs. Catherine Chan, Elisabeth Harrahy and Paul House, three faculty members from the Biological Sciences and Chemistry Departments at the University of Wisconsin Whitewater, received a grant from the Merck/ AAAS Undergraduate Science Research Program to conduct summer research on pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs) with six undergraduate students each year for three years (2009 – 2011).