October 4, 2012 Minutes
Present: Paul Adogamhe, David Cartwright, Ellen Davis, Jolly Emery, Paul Gregory, Chair Elizabeth Hachten, Angela Harlan, Debra Heiber, Paul House, Elizabeth Olson, Molly Patterson, Ellie Schemenauer, Matthew Winden, Steve Sahyun. Absent: Eric Compas, Sarah Hessenauer, Pilar Melero, Trudi Witonsky. Called to order at 2:20 p.m.
- The minutes of the September 6, 2012 were approved as distributed on a Davis/House motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- Announcements: Liz Hachten reminded to always check with the Registrar’s Office to see if a course number is available to use.
- House/Cartwright moved to approve two Chemistry proposals:
- CHEM 270 Introductory Green Chemistry
- CHEM 271 Green Chemistry Laboratory
Discussion followed with questions regarding electives for Chemistry Majors, Pre-Reqs for Safety Majors and the status of the request for new staffing for green chemistry. House/Cartwright withdrew the motion.
- Harlan/Jolly moved to approve the following Computer Science and Math proposals:
- Title change – COMPSCI 172 to Introduction to Java
- Course Revision –COMPSCI 271 Assembly Programming
- Course Deletion – COMPSCI 302 Computer Logic
- Title Change – COMPSCI 382 to CGI Scripting
- Course Revision- COMPSCI 412 Computer Organization and Systems Programming
- Title Change – COMPSCI 451 to Topics in Applied Computing
- Course Description – COMPSCI 482 Web Database Development
- Prerequisite change – MATH 352 Infinite Processes for Elementary Teachers
- Change in minor – Mathematics Minor
Harlan will seek a formal consultation regarding item 4C. Course Deletion – CompSci 302 Computer Logic. Harlan/Jolly amended the motion to approve all items except C. The motion passed unanimously.
- Jolly/Gregory moved to approve the following new Political Science submajor (emphasis/track) Political Science – Legal Studies Emphasis (BA/BS). The motion passed unanimously.
- Gregory shared information regarding a new course – SOCIOLOGY 475 – Criminal Theory and the Intent to plan new major – Criminology major (BA/BS).
- Consultation requested (Lauren Smith) – New Spring 2014 course proposal from Continuing Education – INTRAUNV 300 Credit for Prior Learning Portfolio Course. This is currently a grant supported course. Discussion followed, with many members relaying their positive experiences with the PLA process.
- The meeting adjourned at 3:40 p.m. on a Sahyun/Adogamhe motion.
Joan Fox-Drake, Secretary