- Call to Order. Committee Chairperson Elizabeth Hachten called the meeting to order at 2:20 P.M. in White Hall 6c.
- Members introduced themselves. Present: Paul Adogamhe; David Cartwright; Eric Compas; Ellen Davis; Jolly Emrey; Paul Gregory; Elizabeth Hachten; Angela Harlan; Debra Heiber; Sarah Hessenauer; Paul House; Pilar Melero; Elizabeth Olson; Trudi Witonsky, Molly Patterson, Matt Winden, and Ellie Schemenauer, Joan Fox-Drake.
- Approval of the April 26, 2012 Minutes. House/Emrey motion to approve minutes as submitted. Motion passed unanimously.
- A draft of the Committee’s Guidelines for 2012-13 was distributed, discussed, and approved unanimously.
- Hachten introduced Joan Fox-Drake as the new Curriculum Committee Secretary and welcomed new Committee member Matt Winden.
- L&S Curriculum Committee meeting dates with proposal deadlines were distributed along with Curriculum Flow Chart. Deadlines are earlier so students can plan schedules for a whole year. Since the new deadline for new summer courses now occurs at the beginning of the fall semester, departments need to begin their summer curricular planning more than a year in advance. This may adversely impact new faculty members.
- By acclamation, the committee approved Elizabeth Olson as UCC rep for 2012-2013. Ellie Schemenauer will serve as substitute.
- Schemenauer/Emrey moved to approve as a new course BIOLOGY/GEOLOGY 250 Ecology & Geology of Yellowstone and Upper Great Plains. After discussion of the approval process, motion passed unanimously.
- House/Cartwright moved to approve the Chemistry proposals:
- New course CHEM 260 Introduction to Inorganic Chemistry.
- Course revision CHEM 460 Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Prerequisite change CHEM 184 Intro to Chemistry
Motion passed unanimously
- Patterson/Schemenauer moved approval of the History proposals:
- New course HISTRY 399 Research Methods
- Course revision HISTRY 499 Senior Seminar
- Prerequisite change HISTRY 202 Introduction to Public History
- Change in major History (BA/BS)
- Change in major History Honors (BA/BS)
- Change in major Public History (BA/BS)
- Change in major Public History Honors (BA/BS)
- Change in major History (BSE).
- Change in major Broadfield Social Studies - History Emphasis (BSE).
The motion passed unanimously
- Cartwright/Hessenauer moved to approve the following Religious Studies title changes:
- Title change –RELIGST 211 Intro to Eastern Religions
- Title change – RELIGST 303 Eastern Religious Thought
The motion passed unanimously
- Hessenauer/Cartwright moved to approve the new course SOCWORK/RACEETH 320 Immigration Today. Adogamhe/Melero moved to amend the proposal to remove the RACEETH crosslisting. The motion was approved unanimously. After further discussion, the amended proposal approved unanimously.
- Old Business: Hachten reminded the committee about two discussion items from last Spring. These will be agenda items for the October 18 meeting and reps are urged to discuss these matters with their colleagues in advance of that meeting.
- Proposed guidelines from the Psychology Department regarding factors to consider when designating an upper-level course.
- Draft report from the sub-committee on writing intensive courses.
- Adjourn at 3:30 p.m. on a Adogamhe/House motion.
Joan Fox-Drake, Secretary