Our department mission aligns with the UW-Whitewater Mission, Core Values, and Strategic Plan as well as that of the College of Letters & Sciences. Our department mission provides an inclusive, safe, and secure learning environment committed to the development of the individual while engaged in the pursuit of knowledge. The department will:
- Provide a current and robust curriculum with an array of undergraduate majors, minors and emphases in the areas of Anthropology, Asian Studies, Criminal Justice, Health and Family Studies, and Sociology.
- Support the general education curriculum, related academic programs, and the department's majors and minors by providing essential elements of a liberal education in the social sciences, advancing student critical thinking and analytic reasoning skills, and improving students' ability to analyze issues and develop alternative solutions.
- Foster ethical and socially sensitive personal and professional growth and the capacity for lifelong learning in students through traditional instruction and through experiential-based learning in student internships and research, global learning, and community-service opportunities, and by encouraging/recognizing student achievements and supporting a student club of majors and minors.
- Create and maintain a positive and inviting environment all students, including multicultural students, students with disabilities, students of all sexual and religious orientations, and non-traditional students,
- Offer effective preparation for students interested in continued pursuit of knowledge via graduate school or other professional programs, as well as those interested in starting a career with a bachelor's degree.
- Create and maintain a supportive environment for faculty to engage in scholarly activity, including research, scholarship and creative endeavors.
- Create and maintain a supportive environment for faculty to engage in service on campus, in their professional fields, and in the community regionally, nationally, and/or internationally.
- Create and maintain a supportive environment for faculty to provide an engaging, creative, high quality education in multiple formats including in-classroom, online, and out of classroom instruction.
- Create and maintain a supportive environment for faculty to provide advising and non-classroom support or learning opportunities for students.
- Offer support for faculty in their pursuit of professional development.