News in Psychology/Dept Archives
- Come to the Helping Professions Open House, on Monday Oct. 19, 2015 to learn about opportunities for traditionally underrepresented groups who are interested in pursuing graduate education in counseling or school psychology. The open house is from 1:00 to 3:00 pm in Laurentide Hall, Room 1008 on the UW-Whitewater campus. Please register online by Oct. 12 at https://geturl.uww.edu/1ul. For more information, contact Dr. Christine Neddenriep, 262-472-1850, email@example.com.
- Psychology Professor Shen Zhang's research discussed in David Brooks' NY Times Op-Ed (Dec. 2012)
- November 2014 - Drs. Dan Stalder and David Havas were interviewed by the Janesville Gazette in an article on "snow psychology." The article was later picked up by the AP:The article can be viewed here.
- November 2014 - Dr. Dan Stalder gave a talk in UW-Fox Valley's "Scholars Series" titled, "Using Social Psychology to Reduce Bias and Conflict in Socity." The talk can be viewed at this link.
- October 2015 - Congratulations to Heather Niemeier, associate professor of psychology, students Erica Saldana and Hannah Walsh, and recent alumni Jacob Mecca and Nicole Wiswell, who collaborated with St. Mary's Janesville Hospital on The Fit Families Rock program, which aims to combat childhood obesity. The program won the 2015 Global Vision Community Partnership Award from the Wisconsin Hospital Association. Their article may be read here.
- August 2014 - Within the last few months, two former psych majors and emphasis students (scientist-practitioner emphasis) have had their papers accepted for publication in peer-reviewed journals, co-authored by Dr. Dan Stalder. The students are Kyle M. Anderson and Jessica A. Cook. These papers were based on each student's senior thesis (and emphasis capstone project). The full references are:
- Stalder, D. R., & Anderson, K. M. (in press). Are depressed individuals more susceptible to cognitive dissonance? Current Research in Social Psychology.
- Stalder, D. R., & Cook, J. A. (in press). On being happy and mistaken on a good day: Revisiting Forgas' (1998) mood-bias result. Journal of Social Psychology.
- May 2014 - Graduating Psychology major, Amy Schlueter was awarded the Celebration of Excellence Award for Outstanding LGBT*, Gender Identity, or Sexuality Studies Research for her senior thesis "Endorsement of the Traditional Male Gender Role: Its Relationship to Sexual Orientation and Willingness to Seek Help for Body Image Concerns." Amy's recently presented her research at the Midwest Psychological Association meeting (MPA) in Chicago. Dr. Barbara Beaver is Amy's senior thesis chairperson. Drs. Morgan and Neimeier are her senior thesis committee members.
- April 2014 - Dr. Dan Stalder recently launched a social psychology blog. To check it out, go to http://parbsanonymous.wordpress.com/.
- April 2014 - Psych majors present at the National Conference on Undergraduate Research in Lexington, Kentucky.
- March 2014 - Nursing Home Visitation Program students inspire generous charitable donation.
- March 2014 - Psych majors present at Spring 2014 Undergraduate Research Day
- March 2014 - Psych major Thomas Haasl represents UW-Whitewater research at the "Posters in the Rotunda" event at the state capital.
- August 2013 - Dr. Dan Stalder gives two talks at the Seventh Annual Best Practices in Science, Techonology, Engineering, and Math Teaching Conference. The titles of his talks are, "How to improve and measure the content validity of your course exams," and "Being open to one's own biases to improve critical thinking: Preliminary data from a social psychology course."
- Spring 2013 - Psychology students attend the conference of the MPA (Midwestern Psychological Association).
- 2012-2013 - The School Psychology Program is nominated by the UW-Whitewater campus for the UW System Regents' Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- Fall 2012 - Dr. Scherr travels to Scotland to teach a course titled Psychology of the Holocaust for the Wisconsin in Scotland Program.