Phi Alpha Honor Society
A National Honor Society for Social Work Students
The Purpose of Phi Alpha Honor Society is to provide a closer bond between social work students and promote humanitarian goals. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work.
Motto - "Through Knowledge - The challenge to serve"
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Chapter
The purpose of University of Wisconsin-Whitewater chapter of Phi Alpha shall be:
- To recognize and promote scholastic achievement among students and faculty involved in the undergraduate social work program at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater;
- To recognize, improve and further the goals of social work in the community, state, nation and world;
- To stimulate interest in preparation for a career in social work;
- To encourage continued study and research at the undergraduate level, the graduate level, and in professional practice; and
- To recognize those professional social workers and others whose service, contributions and leadership are held in esteem.
An undergraduate student is eligible for active membership after achieving the following National minimum requirements and meeting local chapter requirements:
- Declared social work as a major.
- Achieved sophomore status.
- Completed 6 semester hours.
- Achieved an overall grade point average of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.
- Achieved a 3.25 grade point average in required social work courses.
- Nomination by the majority of the social work department faculty.
Nomination letters are sent out in February/March of each year. There is a $26 lifetime membership fee. Students who meet membership criteria and wish to join the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater chapter will be recognized and inducted during the Spring Social Work Department Banquet. The fee includes a certificate and honor cords, which may be worn at Graduation.
If you have questions about the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater chapter, please contact Mr. Mike Wallace, Social Work Honor Society Faculty Representative at firstname.lastname@example.org or 262-472-1212. If you are interested in learning more about Phi Alpha, please visit their website: www.phialpha.org.