Requirements to Complete the Certificate are as follows:
Note: A course can count both in a student’s major or minor and for the Certificate program (i.e., double counting is allowed).
REQUIRED CORE (9 Units)
- SPECED 201 Disability & Society
- SOCIOLGY 315 Sociology of Disability
- POLSCI 331 Disability Law & Policies
ELECTIVES (6 Units), selected from the following:
- COMDIS 270 Intro to Human Communication & Distorders
- SPECED 376 Medical Aspects of Disability
- ENGLISH 305 Literature of Disability
- SPECED 205 Psychology of the Exceptional Child
- Any department 498, 493, or 498R Independent study, undergraduate research, or internship (a maximum of 3 units from this list can count in the Electives area)
INDIVIDUALIZED STUDY OR EXPERIENCE (1 Unit)
- Any department 498, 493, or 498R Independent study, undergraduate research, or internship
CAPSTONE (1 Unit)
- LSINDP 494 Disabilities Studies Seminar (to be taken concurrently with Individualized Study or Experience).
- A minimum of 25 hours of experiential learning in a disability-intensive setting that has been approved by the Disabilities Studies coordinator.