Our department mission aligns with the UW-Whitewater Mission, Core Values, and Strategic Plan as well as that of the College of Letters & Sciences. Our department mission provides an inclusive, safe, and secure learning environment committed to the development of the individual while engaged in the pursuit of knowledge. The department will:
1. Provide a current and robust curriculum with an array of undergraduate majors, minors and emphases in the areas of Anthropology, Asian Studies, Criminal Justice, Health and Family Studies, and Sociology.
2. Support the general education curriculum, related academic programs, and the department's majors and minors by providing essential elements of a liberal education in the social sciences, advancing student critical thinking and analytic reasoning skills, and improving students' ability to analyze issues and develop alternative solutions.
3. Foster ethical and socially sensitive personal and professional growth and the capacity for life-long learning in students through traditional instruction and through experiential-based learning in student internships and research, global learning, and community-service opportunities, and by encouraging/recognizing student achievements and supporting a student club of majors and minors.
4. Create and maintain a positive and inviting environment all students, including multicultural students, students with disabilities, students of all sexual and religious orientations, and non-traditional students,
5. Offer effective preparation for students interested in continued pursuit of knowledge via graduate school or other professional programs, as well as those interested in starting a career with a bachelor's degree.
6. Create and maintain a supportive environment for faculty to engage in scholarly activity, including research, scholarship and creative endeavors.
7. Create and maintain a supportive environment for faculty to engage in service on campus, in their professional fields, and in the community regionally, nationally, and/or internationally.
8. Create and maintain a supportive environment for faculty to provide an engaging, creative, high quality education in multiple formats including in-classroom, on-line, and out of classroom instruction.
9. Create and maintain a supportive environment for faculty to provide advising and non-classroom support or learning opportunities for students.
10. Offer support for faculty in their pursuit of professional development.