The Certification in Human Resource (HR) Management is designed to allow HR professionals with Bachelor’s Degrees in a non-HR area to acquire specific Human Resource Management knowledge in five broad areas of Human Resources. These courses are available for students on campus and online.
Individuals that complete the Certificate in Human Resource Management will be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Employment, safety, and administration of personnel
- Compensation and benefit structures in profit and nonprofit organizations
- Design of quality training and development programs for employees
- Contract negotiation, establishing a positive relationship with all parties of a labor contract, and conflict resolution as mediation or arbitration
- Strategic HR Management and its role of sustaining competitive advantages for the organization
- International Management
- Influences on organizational effectiveness and the social responsibilities that an organization holds
Certificate in Human Resource Management Courses Degree Requirements:
The Certificate Program requires completion of 5 of the 7 courses listed or course areas:
- MANAGEMENT 751 STAFFING AND EVALUATION
- MANAGEMENT 752 CURRENT ISSUES IN COMPENSATION& BENEFITS
- MANAGEMENT 753 TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
- MANAGEMENT 758 MANAGEMENT AND LABOR RELATIONS
- MANAGEMENT 760 STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
- MANAGEMENT 777 INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT
- MANAGEMENT 745 BUILDING EFFECTIVE ORGANIZATIONS
MANAGEMENT 759 SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY OF BUSINESS
To qualify for admission to a degree program in good standing, you must have:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- At least 3.00 overall grade point average in all graduate course work completed at UW-Whitewater, with no grades of I or P pending; and
- an overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.75 on a 4.00 scale, or
- at least a 2.90 grade point average in the last half of the undergraduate degree program, or
- at least 12 credits of graduate work completed on a regular grade basis at UW-Whitewater, or
- a master's or higher degree at a regionally accredited institution at the corresponding graduate level, or
- at least a 2.50 overall grade point average in the undergraduate degree program, a Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score of at least 570, and at least five years of appropriate work experience (This only applies to the M.B.A. and the M.P.A. programs).
For policies regarding admission on probation, please consult the current Program Coordinator.
*No GMAT required.
Students may apply through the School of Graduate Studies.
Note: Students in the HR Certificate Program may enroll in the Masters of Business Administration (MBA) at UW-Whitewater if they meet the normal criteria for that program. Certificate courses are part of the MBA program and may count toward completion of that degree at a later date.