Admission to the MS Applied Economics Program is competitive and based on an evaluation that combines the following criteria:
- Awarded a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited US college or university (or equivalent international institution)
- Completed the following prerequisites
- Principles of Microeconomics (ECON 201)
- Principles of Macroeconomics (ECON 202)
- Business Statistics I (ECON 245) or Statistics Foundations (ECON 703) (or equivalent)
- Economics Foundations (ECON 704) or equivalent
- Taken the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) with a preferred score of 150 on the quantitative section of the exam.
- Two letters of recommendation (in English) from individuals that can speak of your academic record. Letters can be sent to either:
School of Graduate Studies
Roseman Building Room 2013
Whitewater, WI 53190
Or: via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants with a limited background in economics or statistics are advised to enroll in prerequisite courses at the University of Wisconsin Whitewater prior to starting the MS program. Further, we highly encourage that applicants have taken Intermediate Microeconomics (ECON 301), Intermediate Macroeconomics (ECON 302) or equivalent and Econometrics (ECON 345). This will prepare prospective students for the rigor of our program.
The above criteria are a helpful guide for the admissions committee to make their decision. Exceptions to the admission requirements may be made on a case-by-case basis. Additionally, due to competitive enrollments, admission may be limited despite fulfillment of the entrance requirements shown here. Typically, individuals with higher grade point averages and GRE quantitative scores will be given more consideration for the program.
If you are a student from a country where English is not the native language, you will also need to supply results for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A TOEFL score of 550 paper, 213 computer, or 79 internet-based, or an IELTS score of 6.0 is required for admission.
International students will want to learn more about our Center for Global Education. Apply
You can apply online today.