General Online MBA Information
- Whom should I contact if I have a question about the MBA program?
- Is there a difference between diplomas and transcripts for those courses taken online and those taken in the classroom?
- How many credits are required to complete the degree?
- Are all the courses three credits?
- How many courses can I take each semester?
- How long does it take to complete a course?
- Do you offer a Human Resource Certificate program?
- Can I complete more than one emphasis?
- Is UW-Whitewater fully accredited?
- What is AACSB International?
- What are the costs/credit hours for the UW-Whitewater MBA?
- What emphasis areas can I earn entirely online?
- Can I combine online courses with traditional on-campus courses?
Academic Requirements and Policies
- Is the TOEFL test score required?
- My undergraduate grade point average was 2.93, what GMAT score do I need?
- What do I need to be admitted on good standing?
- What does it mean if I am admitted on probation?
- Can I enroll in Graduate business classes if I am on probation?
- Can I transfer credits into the MBA?
- I have no college education but have been in management for 14 years. Can I be admitted into the online MBA?
- My undergraduate grade point average is 3.95 and I have over 10 years of business experience; do I need to take the GMAT, GRE, or any other exam?
- What is the application deadline?
- Can I take an online course from UW-Whitewater if I am enrolled in a graduate program at another school?
- Can I enroll in graduate business classes as a non-candidate for a degree until I take the GMAT?
Online MBA Program Information
- Is the online MBA open for international persons?
- Do I have to log into the course at a specific time?
- Are any visits to campus required?
- If I have difficulties, will I be able to ask the professor questions?
- What degree will I receive after completion of the online program?
- What is the cost of course materials for the online courses?
- What courses are available online?
- Is the same application used for the online MBA as is used for the regular MBA?
- Can I apply online?
- Is there an application fee?
- What are the modes of payment, and can payment be made in installments?
- What are the computer requirements needed to be able to work with the online MBA?
- Whom do I contact if I have more questions about technology?
Whom should I contact if I have a question about the MBA Program?
If you have questions about the MBA program please contact Dr. John Chenoweth, Associate Dean of the College of the Business and Economics.
Is there a difference between diplomas and transcripts for those courses taken online and those taken in the classroom?
All MBA students receive identical diplomas stating that they are graduates of the MBA Program at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. Both our online classes and traditional MBA classes are held to the same high standard of quality. Students may complete the MBA Program attending only online courses, only traditional courses, or a combination of online and traditional courses.
How many credits are required to complete the degree?
The UW-Whitewater MBA requires a minimum of 36 credits. Some students may need to complete more credits, depending on their undergraduate preparation.
How many courses can I take each semester?
You can take up to 15 credits during Fall and Spring terms and 12 credits during the Summer term without special permission if the courses you need are available. Fifteen credits is the maximum load. You are considered a full-time graduate student if you enroll in 9 or more credits during the Fall or Spring semester.
How long does it take to complete a course?
Courses are currently structured to begin and end with the normal campus schedule. Courses are 16 weeks during Fall and Spring semesters and 6-week consecutive sessions for Summer term.
Most 2-credit classes are scheduled with the first or last 8 weeks of the term. A small number of 3-credit classes may run for only 8 weeks. The course schedule indicates the length of term for each offering.
Do you offer a Human Resource Certificate program?
Yes, we offer a Certificate in Human Resource Management. It can be completed entirely online or face-to-face. We also offer a Human Resource emphasis in the MBA program.
Can I complete more than one emphasis?
Yes, you can complete more than one emphasis. Each emphasis is 9-12 credits. Emphasis courses can also satisfy other MBA requirements, but cannot be counted in two separate emphases.
What is AACSB International?
AACSB International -- The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business is a not-for-profit corporation of educational institutions, corporations, and other organizations devoted to the promotion and improvement of higher education in business administration and management. Organized in 1916, AACSB International is the premier accrediting agency for bachelor, master, and doctoral degree programs in business administration
What are the costs/credit hours for the UW-Whitewater MBA?
Online MBA students receive a highly competitive value per credit hour. Please visit Tuition & Fees for the most up-to-date information. Wisconsin residents and non-residents all pay the same tuition for online courses.
Cost for traditional courses
Tuition for traditional face-to-face classes varies depending on credits taken and residency. If you mix online and traditional courses in a semester, you will pay separate tuition for the online credits.
- Human Resource Management
- Operations & Supply Chain Management
- IT Management
- International Business
Is the TOEFL test score required?
If you are a student from a country where English is not the native language, you will also need to supply results for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). For more information visit the graduate admission requirements page.
My undergraduate grade point average was 2.93, what GMAT score do I need?
You would need a 414 on the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test). UW-Whitewater requires a composite of at least 1000 for admission in good standing (gpa x 200 + GMAT = 1000+). Students may also use the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) rather than the GMAT for admission. To learn about the GRE-based formula, contact our advisors at email@example.com.
What do I need to be admitted in good standing?
You would need at least a 2.75 undergraduate grade point average and a composite score of at least 1000 (gpa x 200 + GMAT = 1000+). In addition, international students would need at least a 550 TOEFL score. Students may also use the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) rather than the GMAT for admission. To learn about the GRE-based formula, contact our advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students with lower composite scores may be admitted on a case-by-case basis.
What does it mean if I am admitted on probation?
If you have been admitted on probation then you have not met the minimum standards for admission in good standing. You must attain at least a 3.0 (B average) after completing your first 12 graduate credits in order to stay in the program.
Can I enroll in graduate business classes if I am on probation?
Yes, however, you must have at least a 3.0 grade point average after completing 12 graduate business credits in order to stay in the program.
Can I transfer credits into the MBA?
The UW-Whitewater Graduate School permits a maximum of nine graduate credits to be transferred into a degree program from another university. They are to be equivalent to the UW-Whitewater courses and/or appropriate for the program. The term of the earliest course transferred into the program marks the beginning of the seven years permitted to complete the degree.
I have no college education but have been in management for 14 years. Can I be admitted into the online MBA?
No, you must have a bachelor's degree with at least a 2.75 grade point average from a regionally accredited university.
My undergraduate grade point average is 3.95, and I have over 10 years of business experience; do I need to take the GMAT, GRE, or any other exam?
Yes, a Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score is part of the admission data needed to make an admission determination and therefore required for all applicants.
Can I take an online course from UW-Whitewater if I am enrolled in a graduate program at another school?
Yes, you apply to UW-Whitewater as a "guest" and submit a guest matriculant form which lists the course(s) you wish to take and has verification from your program adviser that you are in good standing and that the course(s) will satisfy requirements in your degree.
Can I enroll in graduate business classes as a non-candidate for a degree until I take the GMAT?
No, you must be enrolled in a degree program to be eligible to take graduate business courses from UW-Whitewater. We require the GMAT (or GRE) score as part of the admission decision. If you were admitted into another UW-Whitewater graduate program, however, you could take graduate business classes.
Is the online MBA open for international persons?
Yes, you can enroll in UW-Whitewater online graduate business classes from anywhere in the world so long as you have a computer that meets the minimum Technical Requirements.
Do I have to log into the course at a specific time?
No, the classes are asynchronous at this time, so there is no mandatory time to log on. Instructors may have deadlines to complete assignments, but not a time when you have to log on to talk with them.
Are any visits to campus required?
There is no required visit to campus. All courses can be completed entirely online, but we would enjoy seeing you walk across the stage to receive your diploma at commencement!
What degree will I receive after completion of the online MBA?
After completion of the program, you will receive a Master of Business Administration degree from the University. Your diploma will show the exact same information as that of our on campus students.
What is the cost of course materials for the online courses?
Course materials costs vary widely. The individual costs are reported on the WINS registration system for each course. A rough average might be between $75 - $150 per course.
What courses are available online?
The entire MBA program and all of its emphases can be taken online. Visit the course catalog to search for online courses this semester.
Is the same application used for the online MBA as is used for the regular MBA?
Yes, there is one application form for all graduate programs at UW-Whitewater.
Can I apply online?
The Graduate School has an online application used by all University of Wisconsin System graduate schools.
What are the methods of payment, and can payment be made in installments?
The university accepts check, money order, or credit card payment. Payment can be made in two installments if a signed credit agreement is on file.
What are the computer requirements needed to be able to work with the online MBA?
To access the online MBA courses and lecture content, you need a computer with an internet connection and web browser. For video content, Adobe Flash Player 9 or above is required. More detailed specifications follow.
Minimum Computer Requirements:
- Windows or Macintosh OS X-based computer (Windows XP or later, Mac OS X 10.5 or later)
- Internet connection, broadband preferred
- Firefox 2.0
- Adobe Flash 9
*Additional software requirements may apply in some courses*
Whom do I contact if I have more questions about technology?
Please contact the online MBA Helpdesk with any technical questions.