All business majors are required to complete twenty hours of community service prior to registering for Management 489, which is a required course for all business majors. Students will not receive their diplomas without having this requirement recorded and documented in the Assistant Dean’s office.
Community service helps students see how their goodwill can have a positive effect on other people, organizations, and entire communities. This requirement also provides leadership opportunities for students outside of their campus experiences and instills a habit of accepting an ethical responsibility for the public good.
What are the criteria for Community Service?
- Pay cannot be received for the work done.
- Work is done for a not-for-profit entity.
- An effort is made to help a community above and beyond personal responsibilities.
- For example, visiting a nursing home through a program would qualify as community service, but visiting a relative in a nursing home would not qualify.
- Participating in an activity sponsored by a community service organization would qualify, but membership to the organization alone would not qualify.
- You may participate in several different activities to complete the required twenty hours. Submit a different form for each activity.
How do I record my community service work?To record and bank your community service hours you must turn in a Community Service Form to Hyland Hall 4300, or have a letter sent to the Assistant Dean, which included the following:
- The name of the organization
- The number of hours worked
- A description of the work performed
- The dates the work was performed
- A contact person for the organization who can verify the information
- The contact person's telephone number and signature
Send or bring the completed form to the Assistant Dean's Office in Hyland Hall 4300. If you are not certain that the service you perform will count as community service, contact the Assistant Dean's Office at 262-472-4900.