Teacher Internship Application Process
Fall 2013 and Spring 2014
Applications should be brought to WH 2036
Contact Marie Benson or Cheryl Wegner with questions
Special Education students must contact the Special Education Field Coordinator of Directed Teaching or Department Chair for approval before applying to the Teacher Internship Program.
All students must pass the appropriate Praxis II test for their major before they will be approved as an intern candidate. However, we encourage students to apply to the Teacher Internship Program even if they haven't passed the Praxis II test yet.
All interns must abide by the same placement rules that apply to student teachers. For example, an MC-EA major who does his/her field study at the middle school level must student teach or intern at the elementary level (and vice versa). An EA-A major who does his/her field study at the middle school level must student teach or intern at the high school level (and vice versa).
Forms/documents necessary to apply for a teacher internship are listed below. The forms can be completed online and saved. (DO NOT STAPLE). Adobe Reader is required. You can download a free copy at the Adobe Reader Homepage. Also, please contact Cheryl Wegner if you have problems with the forms.
1. Teacher Internship Application Form
2. THREE (3) Teacher Internship Reference Forms - Applicants should give or send a Reference form to each of their references or have them go online to complete it (and save if preferred). If a reference completes it online, s/he can print the form, sign, and return to you or to the Teacher Internship Office. You also need to complete and give a FERPA form to each of your references and to our office for them/us to keep (see #3 just below).
3. FERPA - Complete and give a FERPA form to each of your references along with the Reference form referred to above. F.E.R.P.A. stands for Federal Educational Rights & Privacy Act. The purpose is to give your references permission to complete the reference form for you. Applicants must also complete and turn in one F.E.R.P.A. form for the Teacher Internship Office (giving us permission to send your paperwork to schools in need of interns. For assistance in completing the F.E.R.P.A. form, see #20 after clicking on "here" on the bottom of the page).
4. Teacher Internship Clearance Form
5. Teacher Internship Application Materials Release Form
6. Teacher Internship Reference Check Sheet
7. Resume (including Philosophy of Education)
8. Unofficial Transcript
Additional Steps and Information for UW-W Teacher Internship Candidates can be found here.