Office of Field Experiences
Internship Application Process
- Turn in your application materials to WH 2036. Call 262.472.1935 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions. Special Education majors must receive permission to apply. All other students can apply, but must pass the appropriate Praxis II test for your major before you will be approved.
- Meet with the Subject Area Coordinator for your major,
taking the Teacher Internship Clearance Form and a copy
of your unofficial transcript with you (a list of Subject
Area Coordinators is at the bottom of the Teacher Internship
Clearance Form). If you are unsure of your student teaching
semester, please contact the department of your major. If
you have a Bilingual/Bicultural minor, note the additional
- A minimum combined GPA of 3.00 is required for application
to the Teacher Internship Program and must be maintained
throughout the remaining educational program.
- A grade of C (2.00) or better in any course or approved equivalency
in your program area (defined as both major and licensure
area) is required and must be maintained throughout the remaining educational program. An incomplete in any of these courses is unacceptable. If you repeat a course, the repeated grade will count.
- A minimum of Three references are required (two should be UW-Whitewater faculty, and at least one should be a faculty member in your major). Give or mail each reference the reference form and completed COEPS F.E.R.P.A form. The F.E.R.P.A. form (completed and signed by you) gives your reference permission to complete the reference form for you; therefore, your reference should keep the F.E.R.P.A. form. See #20 below for suggestions for completing the F.E.R.P.A. forms. Some references prefer to complete the reference form online (they will need to print the completed reference form, sign, and send or fax to the address on the form). Completed
reference forms can also be given/sent to the intern applicant.
- Applicants must also complete one F.E.R.P.A. form for the Teacher
Internship Office, as we need permission to send your file to schools interested in hiring an intern (see #20 below for suggestions for completing the F.E.R.P.A. form).
- Special paper for your resume is unnecessary, as copies are forwarded to interested school districts.
Questions concerning the design of a resume may be directed
to Career Services. A Philosophy of Education is to be included.
- As part of the approval procedure, the Teacher Internship
Coordinator may solicit input regarding the qualifications
of applicants from faculty members in the UW-Whitewater
Departments of: Curriculum & Instruction; Educational
Foundations; Health, Physical Education, Recreation, &
Coaching; Special Education; and/or other academic departments. An interview meeting with the Intern Coordinator will be required.
- The Teacher Internship Office usually communicates with students
via their University email address.
- After reviewing each completed file, the intern candidate's
student teacher semester will be verified and an email will be sent indicating approval or denial.
If the student has not passed the appropriate Praxis II test yet, s/he will not be approved until that takes place. Approval as a prospective intern does not guarantee the
availability or awarding of a Teacher Internship placement.
A student may reapply to the Teacher Internship Program
if circumstances should change for a student who has been
- Approved Intern candidates will be notified regularly
via email of schools requesting interns. Intern
candidates will then notify the Teacher Internship Office
where to send their files. Typically, school personnel
review the files, select candidates for interviews, and
contact those students directly. Feel free to check with
the Teacher Internship Program Office on the status of your
application at any time. No Teacher Intern placements will
occur after July 15 for fall or December 1 for spring.
- Each UW-W Teacher Intern will be charged $200, which covers
an administrative fee charged by DPI. This should
be paid when you receive your first paycheck. No intern will receive a passing grade for the internship
until this is paid.
- In addition, an internship occurring out-of-area (50+
miles from UW-W) will incur the following expenses:
1) four (or more, if necessary) supervisory visits at the
current market rate, 2) supervisory travel expenses in excess
of $100, 3) Office of Field Experiences supervisory arrangement
fee of $50, 4) liability insurance, etc., if required, 5)
cooperating teacher stipend, if required locally, 6) any
other costs. Please note that an out-of-area internship
is contingent upon our ability to obtain an out-of-area
- Interns are subject to identical requirements as student
teachers with respect to the TB test and criminal background
- Interns may not leave an internship placement early to accept a teaching position.
- Special Education majors enrolled in their full semester of student teaching/internship
are required to enroll in the student teaching seminar course
appropriate to their major. All other majors must enroll in CIGENRL
470 (Student Teaching Seminar), except it is optional for Business Education majors, ECE majors and possibly Phy Ed majors. CIGENRL 470 will provide students
with important information and ideas that will enhance
their preparation for a successful career in teaching. You will meet on campus three days (TBD) and will receive a complimentary lunch while meeting with the Intern Coordinator.
- Teacher Intern candidates and those with confirmed internships
must attend all student teacher meetings, except confirmed
interns do not need to attend the placement/interview meeting (but please notify your Subject Area Coordinator).
- If your application is approved but a placement does
not occur, your assigned student teaching placement will
remain in effect.
- The files of Teacher Internship candidates not receiving
an internship will be discarded at the end of the semester.
- The following guidelines
for completing the COEPS FERPA form are only suggestions: I AUTHORIZE:
UW-Whitewater Teacher Internship Program Office (on the FERPA form for each reference, write in the reference's name).
TO DISCLOSE...: grades and academic
transcript; performance observation notes, evaluation instruments
or information, general comments about performance in a
course during a field experience (Field Studies, Student
Teaching, Internship, Practicum, etc.) OTHER (SPECIFY):
verification of hiring and salary TO THE FOLLOWING...:
prospective employer(s); school official(s) responsible
for admission to educational programs; individual(s) responsible
for scholarship, grants, etc.; OTHER (SPECIFY): rental
agencies FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON(S)
(explain): Future employment; pursuit of
further education; salary verification for housing purposes;
grants/scholarships THIS AUTHORIZATION WILL
BE IN EFFECT UNTIL: we suggest putting a date
of two years from the date of signing.