Offered on a satisfactory/no credit grade basis only. Professional laboratory experiences under the guidance of carefully selected, qualified, cooperating nursery school teachers in area schools. Repeatable for a maximum of 6 credits in major/degree (however, currently all preschool student teachers take this as a three-credit course). Restricted to students with professional education admission and minimum GPA of 2.75.
Students will have completed the following courses before entering Directed Teaching PreK:
- Child Development
- Preschool Child Development
- Observation and Participation
- Programs and Curriculum for Young Children
- The Professional Block
- Language Arts Methods
- Mathematics in the Elementary Schools
- Reading Teaching Strategies
- Field Study
- Most students will probably have already completed Children’s Literature, Nutrition and Health and if placed in an infant/toddler setting, Programs and Curriculum for Infants and Toddlers must be completed before the student teaching placement. Ideally, students will complete the PreK student teaching experience during the last semester of classes and take Administration of Preschool Programs concurrently with PreK student teaching.