During each pre-clinical experience, students are concurrently enrolled in courses of related content and/or methodology. This plan enhances learning through experience and professional development. The staff at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, the students, and the cooperating schools share in the task of meeting the following objectives:
- To approach teaching as articulated in the College of Education & Professional Studies' Conceptual Framework: The teacher is a reflective facilitator.
- To strive for effective teaching as articulated in the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Teacher Standards (See Appendix A.).
- To have early and varied experiences in school settings which will lead to a successful student teaching experience.
- To observe the pupil's behavior as related to child or adolescent growth and development.
- To become familiar with classroom and school operating procedures.
- To become sensitive to similarities and differences between one's self and individuals of different backgrounds.
- To observe the general qualities and responsibilities of effective teachers.
- To observe and implement a variety of methods and techniques of teaching.
- To identify and use a variety of instructional materials.
- To identify and use a variety of evaluation techniques.
- To observe and utilize effective management techniques.
- To internalize a personal commitment to improving education for diverse student populations.