International Student Teaching Opportunities: Jamaica
The Jamaica Student Teacher Program is organized much like a traditional travel study course; program participants and the faculty advisor travel together to Jamaica and will live and work among Jamaicans for the duration of the student teaching placement.
Approximately 4 weeks from the second Wednesday in January to the first Wednesday in February.
Program Requirements and Application Procedures:
- Obtain a Student Teaching Abroad Permission Form from Winther Hall, Room 2036. Follow the instructions exactly as noted on the Form!
- Schedule an appointment with Dan Colleran, Travel Study Coordinator, Center for Global Education, (262) 472-5757, email@example.com.
- Enroll in CIGENRL 470 Student Teaching Seminar. Physical Education licensure students should register for PEPROF 410.
- Schedule a pre-departure orientation meeting with the UW-W Center for Global Education by calling Ext. 5759.
For more information about the application process please contact:
Tel. 262-472-1935 >
For more information about Jamaica please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Application Deadlines:
The deadlines for students to notify Cheryl Wegner that they plan to student teach abroad are:
- February 1st (those who are planning to student teach the following fall)
- September 15th (those who are planning to student teach the following spring)
The deadlines for students to turn in the Permission to Student Teach Abroad form to Cheryl Wegner are:
- February 15th (those who are planning to student teach the following fall semester)
- October 1st (those who are planning to student teach the following spring semester)
Student Teaching Assignment & Placement:
Student teacher placement typically occurs at the same grade level/subject area as the Wisconsin assignment. Assignments are available at the elementary and secondary levels. Contact the Program Faculty Advisor at email@example.com for more information about the placement process.
Please Note: Special Education majors are not eligible to participate in the Jamaican Student Teaching Program.
Student Teacher Supervision:
Participants are observed and supervised by the Program Faculty Advisor, Dr. L. Brenda Clayton (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Passport and Visas:
A valid U.S. passport is required in order to participate in this student teaching program. Currently, a Jamaican visa is not required to enter Jamaica for short-term academic purposes.
U.S. Passport Application Information:
Airfare and Housing:
The Program Faculty Advisor, with the assistance of the Center for Global Education, will make arrangements for airfare and lodging.
Estimated Program Cost:
The total cost for program participants is estimated to be $2,500-$3,000 depending on air fare and taxi costs in Jamaica. This estimated cost includes roundtrip airfare from Chicago or Milwaukee, housing/lodging while in Jamaica, 2 meals per day, phone charges, local transportation, internet access, and a weekend excursion to Montego Bay.
Study Abroad Scholarship & Wisconsin State Grant for Study Abroad Information:
For information about study abroad scholarships and the Wisconsin State Grant for Study Abroad and for deadlines and application processes, please use the link below: