Associations & Organizations
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- Wisconsin Early Childhood Association
- Division of Early Childhood
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Council for Children with Behavior Disorders (CCBD)
- Division for Learning Disabilities (DLD)
- Division on Autism and Developmental Disabilities (DADD)
- Teacher Education Division (TED)
- The Student Council for Exceptional Children (SCEC) is a nationally recognized student chapter of the Council for Exceptional Children. Special education students frequently participate in other professional organizations to promote collaboration across disciplines in education.
- Students also participate in Best Buddies and CARE.
Check out the bulletin boards in Winther Hall for these organizations for information on upcoming activities.
- Best Buddies matches people with intellectual disabilities with college students and creates one-to-one friendships. In the past, individuals with an intellectual disability often didn't have the opportunity to have friends outside their own isolated environment. When a college student becomes a Peer Buddy, he or she offers their Buddy the chance to explore friendship and all it offers.
- Our Best Buddies Whitewater Chapter partners with St. Colletta's in Jefferson, to form lifelong friendships. Our members are responsible to be in contact weekly with their buddy as well as be at our mandatory group events, which are held once a month. Best Buddies at UW-Whitewater is extremely rewarding and a fun great way to make new friends with and without disabilities.