How to apply for a Teacher, Pupil Services, or Administration License

Instructions on applying for licensure in Wisconsin

For MAY 2014 through AUGUST 2014 Program Completers

Step 1:  Please submit the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) UWW Application Form to the Winther Hall Information Desk window by 5/1/2014 if you have not already done so.  If you are not currently on campus you may email the form to or fax it to:  (262) 472-5716.  Please note:  these forms were handed out at the beginning of the semester at the student teaching meetings.  If you would like to confirm if we received your form, you may call the Winther Hall Information Desk window at (262) 472-1184.

Step 2:  Check here to see if you are required to submit fingerprints to the Department of Public Instruction (DPI):

Step 3:  Check your email approximately one to six weeks after you complete your program, looking for an email from Jillian Smith, UWW Certifying Officer.  Please note:  you will receive two emails.  The first email will state that your endorsement for licensure has been submitted to the DPI.  Approximately 24 to 72+ hours later, you will be sent a second email confirming that DPI's ELO system is ready for you to apply online. 

Step 4:  After you receive the second confirmation email from Jillian Smith, UWW Certifying Officer, you may begin the DPI ELO application process.  Please note:  Step 1 and Step 3 MUST occur before the DPI ELO system will be ready for you.  Here is the web address where you will be able to apply:  You will also be sent the DPI ELO web address in the second confirmation email from the UWW Certifying Officer.

Additional Information:

        • DPI will require UWW to upload your name into ELO before you will be able to submit your license application.
        • In order for UWW to submit your name to ELO, you will have needed to completed Step 1 (see above), have your final grades in, your degree posted (if applicable), your Phase 4 Portfolio completed, your human relations requirement completed, and passed any required content exams.
        • If you are an undergraduate student, you may view your Unofficial Transcript in WINS if you would like to track when your grades have been posted, your Bachelor's degree posted, and to see if your Phase 4 Portfolio and Human Relations Requirement milestones have been posted.
        • If all your ducks are in a row, DPI estimates you should be able to complete the online application in approximately 40 minutes.  
        • DPI will require a $100 credit card payment (no PINS are accepted).
        • Once you are applying on DPI's ELO website, if you encounter problems please email:
        • To check on the status of your application at DPI once your license application has been submitted by you online, use the ELO Public Search at the Department of Public Instruction.

DPI Licensure Codes

To find out your licensure codes for the State of Wisconsin, use the DPI website.  Find the appropriate major and/or minor and choose the content code.

Applying for an Initial Teaching License in another State


      1. Research out-of-state requirements before applying for teaching positions out of Wisconsin. Contact the Department of Education in the state you wish to seek employment.
      2. Complete the appropriate out-of-state application form and mail to the UW-W Licensure Office (if it requires institutional endorsement). Include an official copy of your transcript verification and your Wisconsin teaching license (if you have one).
      3. For new program completers:  The UW-W Licensure Office will hold your out-of-state application until all requirements have been met. This could include waiting for a bachelor's degree, grades, or possibly a program coordinator's approval. For new graduates, degrees are not posted until your student teaching experience has been completed. Depending on when your application is submitted, your application might stay in the UW-W Licensure Office for an extended period of time.
      4. The Licensure Officer will complete the Institutional Endorsement (in lieu of the signature of the Dean) of the application. Once the out-of-state application form is signed, the application will be forwarded to the address of your choice.
      5. While it usually is not necessary for an applicant to hold a valid license from Wisconsin, it will certainly expedite the process. The rule of thumb is "keep your license from Wisconsin in force." It will facilitate your application in another state and in Wisconsin should you return.
      6. During high peak licensure times (January, May, June and August) our main focus is on application processing and applications are processed as fast as possible.  If you are applying for both your Wisconsin license and an out-of-state license, submit both applications together.  They will be processed together which will decrease your wait time. However, due to the extensive number of applications, out-of-state applications submitted without applying for a Wisconsin license could take 2-3 weeks processing time.  Wisconsin license requests submitted during peak licensure times take precedence over out-of-state applications. Please note: During non-peak licensure times, the focus is on other areas of the office other than license applications. For this reason processing time through the Licensure Office can take 4-6 weeks. The best time to submit your application is during one of the high peak licensure times (Jan, May, June, Aug) when our main priority is licensure.  During non-peak licensure times, applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of requested State.

Applying for an Exception for Licensure GPA

        1. Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for an exception: 
          • Completed an approved major, major and minor, or broadfield major, the required professional education sequence, and a baccalaureate degree. 
          • Completed the Directed Teaching semester or Graduate Practicum semester at UW-Whitewater.
        2. Students must apply for the exception by submitting the following information to the College of Education & Professional Studies Licensure Office:

        • A letter from the student requesting an exception, stating reasons for the request, and why the applicant believes that if an exception is granted, he or she can be a successful teacher.
        • Letters from the cooperating teacher(s) and a university supervisor(s) supporting the request, which must include reasons why an exception should be made. The student is to obtain the letters from the cooperating teacher(s) and the university supervisor(s) and include them in the completed application.
        • A current transcript. This can be printed from the University WINS System.
        • Students with a previous bachelor's degree who apply for an exception must submit photocopies of transcripts from their previous institutions.
        • Submit your cover letter addressed to the Licensure Office, letters of recommendation, and your current UW-Whitewater transcript and/or previous transcripts to the Licensure Office.  If you choose to hand deliver the appropriate paperwork, you can drop them off at the Winther Hall Information Desk (lobby area). The staff at the Information Desk will begin the process before delivering to the Licensure Office.  You will be notified by mail in about two weeks after you complete your program.

 For additional information for applying for an exception for your Wisconsin teaching license, please feel free to contact us at

Further Information

US Department of Education
Career Services: Informational Items