Advising Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions:

In order to have academic advising in the department of COMDIS rather than the general advising group, you must have completed 30 college credits and completed the paperwork to declare COMDIS as a major.

Your adviser should appear on your WINS dashboard on the right hand side under "Advisor".

You can find a list of the courses and other advising resources and forms on the department undergraduate advising page.

In the COMDIS department you are required to meet with an advisor each semester prior to enrolling for courses the following semester.

  • Our department advises students in groups based on numbers of credits completed.
  • Advising for the spring semester courses takes place during the last two weeks of October and first two weeks of November.
  • Advising for the fall semester courses takes place during the last three weeks of March.

  • Group advising is set up as a drop-in session. You can come in at any point during the allotted time to receive help with course selection and academic planning.
  • One or more faculty members will be available to answer questions and circulate around the room.
  • During group advising you may have to be patient in order to get one-on-one assistance from the faculty member depending on how many students are in attendance.
  • It is a great opportunity to learn from other student's questions and network with other students in the major.
  • Group advising is best if you have a fairly simple or straight forward academic plan and just need to check in for the semester.

  • The more prepared you are with your questions and needs the better!
  • As much as possible you should fill out the following forms either by hand or electronically. All forms can be found on the forms page.
    • Gen Ed Checklist
      • If you haven't completed all of your Gen Ed requirements you will need to include them in your semester course plan. 
      • If you haven't taken a biological science lab course we recommend BIO 120.
      • If you haven't taken a physical science course we recommend PHYSCS 240 as physics is a prerequisite for COMDIS 240.
    • COMDIS Major Plan (either starting as a sophomore or as a junior)
      • These plans have the COMDIS courses already placed for each semester based on the semester they are offered.
      • Fill in the unique requirements and any minor courses around the COMDIS courses.
    • Use the COMDIS Major Requirements Checklist to help you create your plan
      • Make sure to note that COMDIS courses are only offered in specific semesters (spring or fall)

You are not required to complete a minor with a major in COMDIS, but you will not accrue 120 total credits to graduate with a major in COMDIS and the Gen Ed requirements. You would have to take several electives each semester.

  • The minor you choose should depend on your future career goals and the types of skills and competencies you want to develop.
  • Many students consider a minor in a field that supports a secondary career choice if they are not admitted into a graduate program.
  • Employer will not likely look at your transcript to see what courses you have taken, they will look at your resume with your degree and your experiences. A minor is another method to inform a potential employer more about your expertise and competencies.
  • Things to consider when choosing a minor:
    • Do you want to have a minor that is closely related to COMDIS?
      • Examples:
        • Special Education
        • Psychology
        • Family, Health & Disability Studies
        • Adaptive Education
    • Do you want to have a minor that compliments COMDIS?
      • Examples:
        • Teaching English as a Second Language
        • Occupational Health and Safety
        • Spanish
        • Biology (if interested in PT or OT)
    • Do you want a minor that diversifies your skills?
      • Examples:
        • Human Resource Management
        • Finance or Accounting (if interested in private practice)
        • Marketing and Professional Sales
        • International Studies
        • Visual Media Design
        • Advertising
  • Links to minors offered in each college

  • If you have officially added a minor, you should schedule an advising appointment with an advisor in the minor department.
  • It is helpful to take your COMDIS Major Plan that maps out the courses you are going to take to complete your major in COMDIS to this meeting so that you can discuss with your minor advisor how the minor courses will fit best into that plan.

  • The first thing to do is e-mail the course instructor and politely ask if they would be willing to open another spot in the course or if there is a waiting list. Your COMDIS advisor cannot grant you permission to enroll in courses that are outside of the department.
  • The second thing to do is look at your course plan and select a different course that you were planning to take in a later semester and register for that course instead.
    • Most of the unique requirements (PSYCH, PHYSCS, ENGLISH, STATS, SPECED, SOC, EDFOUND) are more flexible in their offerings than the COMDIS courses.
  • If you are still unable to come up with a solution send an e-mail to your COMDIS advisor describing the steps you took and requesting their input.

  • You will need to visit the COMDIS undergraduate advising forms page and download the "Major/Minor change form".
  • Complete the form and return it to Pedro Aranda in the COMDIS office and he will process the change.
  • If you are changing your major from COMDIS to something else, you will need to take the change major form to the NEW major department.
    • For example, If changing from COMDIS major to SPECED major you would take the form to the office in Winther to be processed.

The best source of current programs, funding, and travel options would be the center for global education.  Their office is located in Hyland Hall.

  • A COMDIS major is just like having a bachelor's degree with a major in biology, history, psychology, etc.  Your bachelors degree is the valuable piece and while you are completing your bachelor's degree you should think about what types of skills you are cultivating to be competitive in the workplace for multiple career paths.
  • What can I do with a degree in Communication Sciences & Disorders?
  • Often times students think of a COMDIS major like a technical degree in that you get your degree, go to graduate school, and become an SLP.
    • This is the traditional pathway to becoming an SLP or AuD, but the majority of students who major in COMDIS do not get into graduate programs.  There are far more undergraduate degrees in COMDIS than graduate positions available.
    • A bachelor's degree is designed to give you skills that can generalize to multiple career paths.
  • If you want a post-secondary education that gives you a specified career path and skill, a technical college might be the best for you.
    • Technical programs are very good for individuals who know exactly what they want to do and that they want to do that for a long time.
    • Technical programs are not very good for someone who wants to change their career path because that would require returning to school for a whole different program.