Library Media

Contact Us

Location: Winther Hall 1005
Phone: (262) 472-2837

Graduate Admissions

Students may take library media courses for licensure at the graduate level either as part of a graduate degree program or not. For teachers who are seeking to add the library media license, see the page on "Which is for You?" to help you choose the best option for you.

Non-candidate for Degree (Graduate Special Student)

This status is available if you possess a bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited institution but do not want to start a graduate degree from UW-Whitewater immediately. You are considered a non-candidate for degree student if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • A student with a bachelor's degree but not in a master's degree program.
  • A teacher wanting to complete graduate course work to maintain educational certification requirements.
  • A student enrolled in a graduate degree program at another institution that wants to transfer the UW-Whitewater course work to that program
  • A student who has already received a master's degree from UW-Whitewater and wishes to take additional selected course work at the graduate level.

There is no $56 application fee, and transcripts are also not collected. Your signature on the application attests that you have earned a bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited institution. Once admitted, graduate fees are applied for all course work taken, even when taking a combination of graduate and undergraduate courses. If you want to take a course at the undergraduate level, you can not also take one at the graduate level in the same semester. Students are allowed to transfer up to 12 credits earned as a non-candidate for degree into their degree program. If you plan to eventually enroll in a graduate degree program, you may take up to four of the library media or core education courses at this status and have them count toward the degree. Use the online application form. If you plan to take all your library coursework at the undergraduate level, do not use this option.  Instead apply as a Special Student Full Credentials.

Master's  Degree Candidate

To enroll in the graduate program leading to a Master of Science in Education - Professional Studies, you must do the following:

  • Meet the admissions requirements:
    • Bachelor's degree and one of the following
      • Overall undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.00 scale OR
      • At least 2.90 GPA on last half of your undergraduate degree program OR
      • At least 12 credits of graduate work completed on regular grade basis at UWW with minimum 3.00 overall GPA in all graduate course work completed at UWW OR
      • Master's degree or higher from another institution
  • Complete graduate application
  • Order official transcripts sent to Graduate Studies Office
  • Submit $56 graduate application fee.
  • Complete transfer of credit form if applicable (These are reviewed for acceptance and may apply to the degree but not necessarily to licensure.
  • International students have additional requirements to demonstrate English proficiency

For more information, see the program application information at the Graduate Studies Office website.  Contact John Zbikowski for information on transferring education courses or Eileen Schroeder about transferring library media courses.