CIGENRL/ESL 350/550: Introduction to ESL and Bilingual-Bicultural Education
CIGENRL/ESL 403/603: ESL Methods and Curriculum
CIGENRL/ESL 405/605: Assessment in the ESL/Bilingual Classroom
CIGENRL 723: Issues, Perspectives and Directions: A Professional Seminar in Education
Supervision of Field Study and Student Teachers
B.A. Educational Psychology, St. Olaf College (the Paracollege)
M.A. TESOL, Teachers College, Columbia University
Ed.D. Applied Psycholinguistics, SLA Emphasis, Boston University
Licensure: Wisconsin 395 (ESL, PreK-12)
- Head Start Teacher Assistant Teacher – Bloomingdale Family Program, New York City (1974-76)
- EFL Teacher – Institute of North American Studies, Barcelona, Spain (1977-80)
- Assistant Professor – Ohio University, M.A. TESOL Program, Dept. of Linguistics (1986-88)
- Adjunct Associate Professor – Beloit College, TESL and Linguistics Programs (1991-2006)
- Gastprofessorin (Visiting Professor), Augsburg University, Dept. of German as a Second/Foreign Language, Augsburg, Germany (2004-05)
- ESL Teacher – School District of Beloit (Beloit Memorial High School, 2006-09)
- Assistant Professor – UW-Whitewater, Dept. of Curriculum & Instruction (2009-2013)
- Associate Professor – UW-Whitewater, Dept. of Curriculum & Instruction (2013-present)
Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Wisconsin Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (WITESOL)
UW-Whitewater Faculty Senate, 2010-2014, 2016-present
Beloit League of Women Voters
Lines of Research or Creative Activity:
Second language teaching and learning, ESL/bilingual methods, professional development of ELL/ESL, Bilingual & Dual Language teachers, integration of science inquiry and literacy learning
Selected Publications and Grant Awards:
Bonjour, J., Courtier, A., & Schneider, M. (in press). Science notebooks: Key to connecting science inquiry and literacy learning. Science and Children.
Schneider, M., Huss-Lederman, S., & Sherlock, W. (2012). Charting new waters: Collaborating for school improvement in U.S. schools. TESOL Journal, 3(3), 373-401.
Schneider, M. (2012). TeacherInsight and the selection and hiring of bilingual speakers of English. TESOL Journal, 3(4), 639-658.
Bongartz, C., & Schneider, M. L. (2003). Linguistic development in social contexts: A study of two brothers learning German. The Modern Language Journal, 87(1), 13-37.
Wisconsin ESEA Improving Teacher Quality Grant (renewal), with Matt Vick. UW System and ESEA Title II Higher Education Professional Development Program. November 2014.
Wisconsin ESEA Improving Teacher Quality Grant, Integrating Science and Literacy with English Proficient and EL Learners, with Matt Vick. UW System and ESEA Title II Higher Education Professional Development Program. December 2013.
Education Outreach Grant, Graduate Studies and Continuing Education, University of Wisconsin - Whitewater, June 2012.
Transatlantic USable Idea Competition (Transatlantischer Ideenwetttbewerb USable), with Anja Ballis. Paving the way for success in German secondary schools: Using the sheltered instruction observation protocol (SIOP). Körber Foundation, Hamburg, Germany, March 2006.
Tennis, perennial gardens, cross-country skiing