Mission Statement & Core Values
The School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education provides high quality services and programs that promote the personal and professional development of diverse, non-traditional constituencies internal and external to the University.
The School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education does this by collaborating with academic units to enhance the University's ability to serve as an educational, cultural, and economic resource center for the region, as well as facilitate the growth of faculty and staff. The division is committed to:
- Providing and coordinating services for graduate students from initial inquiry through graduation in a context of having all such students participate in a "true graduate-level experience."
- Providing an array of non-credit events that participants find useful, meaningful, and rewarding.
- Collaborating with academic departments to offer credit courses for traditional students during Winterim and Summer Session, as well as delivering credit courses off campus and through distance education that address the needs of part-time, non-traditional students during academic semesters.
- Collaborating with faculty and administrative units to develop short-term travel-study programs supporting the development of traditional and non-traditional student populations.
- Coordinating efforts of faculty and staff to secure intramural and extramural funding to support the accomplishment of University goals and individual research agendas.
- Providing programming, services, and resources to support faculty and instructional staff in their efforts to optimize student learning specifically, and refine skills as teacher/scholars generally.
Guiding the work of the division of the School of Graduate Studies & Continuing Education are core values. These values include:
The School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education will continue with their commitment to providing excellent service by maintaining strong, supportive relationships that are flexible and responsive to the needs and interests of its constituents.
The School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education will have a positive impact on services and programming offered by, or coordinated through the division, by holding to a strong commitment of high standards that sustain and advance excellence.
Learning and Development
The School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education will operate as a learning organization, seeking continuous feedback on its performance and using this information to further develop its members and improve its performance.
The School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education will honor diversity in the populations it serves, the means through which it provides its services, and the processes by which it evaluates its efforts.