winterim > Admission & Registration

Admission & Registration


New students or those needing to be re-admitted may apply online at: (choose "Special Student" application for Winterim term only).

Admitted students will receive a letter via U.S. mail containing their Net ID and 7-digit UW-Whitewater student ID number, which are required for registration on the WINS system.


Registration Begins November 5th for Winterim 2013

Winterim registration is available via the on-line WINS System only. If this is your first WINS log in, go to to set up your password. Refer to your letter of admission for your Net ID and your temporary password. (UW-W 7 Digit ID). After setting up your password, go to the UW-Whitewater home page at and click on WINS. Enter your Net ID and Password and click on Sign In. Refer to the WINS Tutorials for further information.

Registration holds must be cleared prior to registering for a Winterim course.

Course Numbering System

001-099 Non-Degree Credit
100-199 Primarily Freshman Level
200-299 Primarily Sophomore Level
300-399 Primarily Junior Level
400-499 Primarily Senior Level
500-599 Graduate - Taught with 300
600-699 Graduate - Taught with 400
700-799 Graduate Only


Prerequisite: a requirement that must be satisfied BEFORE registering for the course. There are three types of prerequisites: (a.) Course(s) which must be successfully completed or are in progress; (b.) Academic requirements, i.e., curriculum, major, minor, classification or GPA; (c.) Consent of instructor, minimum credits in the discipline, minimum of a "C" in MATH 141, etc. Corequisite: a course that must be completed prior to, or concurrent with, registration for the specified course.

Maximum Number of Units/Credits (Overload)

Undergraduate and graduate students may enroll in no more than 3 units. Requests for overloads during Winterim are rare and typically require special circumstances. Overload requests by undergraduates require approval of the dean of the student's major. Overload requests by graduate students must be made in writing to the School of Graduate Studies.