Resources for Faculty & Staff

As faculty and staff, you come into contact with many students on a daily basis.  You are on the "front lines" and thus are in an excellent position to observe students, identify those who may be in emotional distress, and offer assistance.  The Dean of Students Office has created the following document to assist you. Dealing with Distressed or Troubled Students [Doc] provides valuable information about how to express your concern to the student, help guide him or her to counseling resources and better understand what happens during the counseling process. It also provides specific information about how to work with a student who is depressed, aggressive, demanding, anxious or out of touch with reality. Please remember that this document serves as a guide and you may always contact our office to consult about a particular situation.

Members of the campus CARE Team are available to provide presentations for a variety of topics that may be of interest to your department or serve as valuable professional development for staff members. Please contact the Dean of Students Office at (262) 472-1533, or stop into Hyer 200 for more information.

Here is a sampling of presentation topics that are available at no cost:

  • Alcohol and drug issues
  • Classroom management
  • Dealing with disruptive or dangerous student behavior
  • FERPA student records and privacy
  • Mental health issues
  • Overcoming grief or loss
  • Personal safety on campus
  • Promoting academic integrity
  • Providing academic accommodations
  • Techniques for dealing with stressed or angry persons
  • Understanding college students today

Resources for Students

Campus Resources

Anti-Hazing Hotline - (262) 472-4293
All university students may use this 24-hour hotline to report instances of hazing directly to a university staff member. Students may provide identifying information or report concerns anonymously.

CARE Team Case Manager - (262) 472-1533
The Case Manager is a university staff member who is also a member of the CARE Team. The Case Manager works directly with students to help them resolve their personal crises, concerns or difficulties. The Case Manager is not a counselor, so (s)he will not provide counseling services for you. However, she can help you decide which resources may be best to resolve your individual concern and put you in contact with a variety of resources.

Center for Students with Disabilities - (262) 472-4711
The Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) helps students with disabilities obtain equal opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of their educational experience. CSD serves students with a variety of visible and hidden disabilities and can help determine whether you are eligible for their services.

Dean of Students Office - (262) 472-1533
The Dean of Students Office helps students with a variety of concerns related to their student status and issues on campus. This office can provide you with information about applying for medical withdrawal, filing a campus complaint, reporting an instance of harassment or sexual assault or navigating other concerns you may have related to our campus environment.

Office of Residence Life - (262) 472-5275
The Residence Life Office has many staff members who can assist you in resolving issues related to your campus housing. Additionally, each residence hall has live-in staff members who are available to discuss your living environment, conflicts with roommates, ways to get involved on campus and other personal issues. Contact your Resident Assistant (student staff) or Complex Director (professional staff) directly if you wish to meet with someone in your residence hall.

Sexual Assault Survivors Assistance Team - (262) 472-1060
The Sexual Assault Survivors Assistant Team (SASA) is a group of campus staff and students who have been trained to provide resources, information and advocacy for survivors of sexual assault. You may contact this group for assistance if you or a friend have been assaulted.

University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS)
Health Center - (262) 472-1300
Counseling Center - (262) 472-1305
The University Health and Counseling Services provides comprehensive, low-cost health services including examinations and treatment for minor illnesses, immunizations, labs, medications, contraceptives, family planning, HIV/STD testing, mental health services and other services. UHCS does not offer emergency medical care. Mental health services are free of charge for students. Counselors are available for crisis intervention each day from 8am-4:30pm, Monday through Friday. You may call or walk-in to make a crisis appointment.

University Police - (262) 472-4660
The University Police provide law enforcement, safety and educational services on campus. University Police Officers are available 24-hours a day if you need to report a crime or emergency. Dial 911 if you feel your safety is threatened or to report an emergency that needs immediate response. The phone number listed above for other non-emergency concerns.

Whitewater Student Government-Sponsored Legal Services - (262) 472-1471
The Whitewater Student Government contracts with a lawyer who provides free legal advice for students. The lawyer is available to meet privately with students to discuss their concerns but will not provide representation. You may contact Career & Leadership Development at the number listed above or in person in the University Center 146 to schedule an appointment time.

Winther Counseling Lab - (262) 472-2842
Winther Counseling Lab provides free, confidential counseling services for UW-Whitewater students and to the public. Winther is staffed by graduate students in the Counselor Education program who are supervised by licensed Counselor Education faculty members. Winther is open only during the academic year and does not provide emergency services.

Local Community Resources

24-Hour Mental Health Crisis Line (800) 365-1587
This mental health crisis line is staffed by Walworth County Human services. If you are having a mental health emergency and need assistance you may contact this phone number. You may also wish to contact a residence hall staff member or University Police staff member to assist you in an emergency mental health situation.

Jefferson County Human Services - (920) 674-3105
Jefferson County Human Services can assist Jefferson County community members with issues related to mental health, substance abuse, family, parenting, hunger and access to state-funded programs. Part of the UW-Whitewater campus is located in Jefferson County. If you have questions about where you are located, you may contact the CARE Team Case Manager at (262) 472-1533.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800) 273-8255
This 24-hour crisis line is free and available to anyone who is in emotional distress or experiencing a suicidal crisis. Your call will be routed to the mental health crisis center nearest to your location. You may contact this number for individual assistance or for a loved one.

Walworth County Human Services (262) 741-3200 or (800) 365-1587
Walworth Human Services can assist Walworth County community members with issues related to mental health, substance abuse, family, parenting, hunger and access to state-funded programs. Most of the UW-Whitewater campus is located in Walworth County. If you have questions about where you are located, you may contact the CARE Team Case Manager at (262) 472-1533.

Whitewater City Police (262) 473-0555
The Whitewater City Police provide law enforcement and safety services for local community members. Any off-campus location is part of the Whitewater City Police’s jurisdiction.