Student & Lab Manager - iCIT - 13484
The Instructional, Communication, and Information Technology (ICIT) Department seeks a Student & Lab Manager.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice Chancellor of ICIT, this position will manage the students of the iCIT Helpdesk and General Access (GA) Labs. This position will be responsible for dispatch procedures as well as the training and supervision of student technicians. The position requires building and managing a successful student team that delivers effective service as the first point of contact for campus technology programs and questions.
75% A. Manage the iCIT Helpdesk Students and General Access Lab
20% B. Participate in iCIT Initiatives
- Oversee the daily performance of Help Desk and GA Lab students to meet the campus support service objectives (SLOs).
- Hire, train, supervise, and mentor students to perform first-level Helpdesk support tasks, including the use of the ticket tracking system.
- Schedule resources to ensure Helpdesk coverage during hours of operation.
- Develop processes for first-level staff to resolve customer problems and questions.
- Provide Helpdesk metrics for informative decision making.
- Assure students are able to help customers understand and adhere to campus technology policies and standards.
- Develop and maintain internal Helpdesk documentation.
- Implement methods to track effectiveness of student service and customer satisfaction.
5% C. Personal Skills and Professional Development
- Participate in divisional planning and policy development.
- Organize students to participate in test groups for piloting new technologies and trouble-shooting problems.
- Participate in divisional projects and special assignments as designated.
- Influence the workplace in a positive manner and participate in effective team-building.
- Will be an active participant in the following of safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
- Assist management with the preparation of annual goals.
- Participate in professional development activities identified to enhance job skills.
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Experience in hiring, supervising, and performance management of student employees.
- Experience in supporting technology training program, including the assessment of training needs, the development of training plans and courses, the development of training documentation and coordination of all training workshops.
- Ability to improve, develop, and implement effective business processes.
- Experience in a higher education environment
- Experience with multi-level, technology helpdesk support.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge and practical application of ITIL methodologies.
- Ability to work with a diverse set of customers with a variety of skill levels.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent tasks.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to work effectively in a team with other technology specialists.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is a regional comprehensive university with an enrollment of more than 12,000 students. UW-Whitewater has reached record enrollment four of the last five years and offers 50 majors in four colleges. UW-Whitewater also offers 15 master's degree programs and recently added a Doctorate of Business Administration. UW-Whitewater students achieve excellence in the classroom and on the playing field. In the 2014-15 Academic Year, UW-Whitewater was the first university in NCAA history at any level to win national championships in football, basketball and baseball in a single year. The campus offers more than 200 student organizations and is a vital economic engine for southeastern Wisconsin. UW- Whitewater is situated on 400 acres of land and has an annual budget of more than $219 million. - See more at: http://www.uww.edu/news
UW-Whitewater is part of the 26-campus University of Wisconsin System. Located in a community of 14,622 residents near the scenic Kettle Moraine State Forest in southeastern Wisconsin, Whitewater is within convenient driving distance to the metropolitan areas of Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago.
Qualified veterans with a 30% or more service-connected disability are eligible for non-competitive appointment to permanent positions in classified civil service under s. 230.275, WI Stats. Ask the Human Resources contact listed on any job announcement for information on how to apply under this provision. Current State of Wisconsin employees are not eligible for non-competitive appointment.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and all veterans.
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants for positions may indicate in writing that his or her identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statutes 19.36 (7)(a).
UW-Whitewater conducts criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment.
The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-W Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr
. If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION:Applications received by OCTOBER 11, 2017 are ensured full consideration.
Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at 262-472-1024 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding the position please contact:
Only complete application packages will be considered. A complete application includes online submission of the following documents:
The Job ID is: 13484.
- Cover Letter
- Three Supervisory References
Who are you?
A potential applicant who is NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater External Applicants
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.Apply Online FAQs