Media Specialist - Graphic Designer in University Marketing & Communication - 13527
The Office of University Marketing and Communication at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater seeks a Media Specialist (working title: Graphic Designer).
The Graphic Designer is responsible for producing high quality graphics and artwork for the university through the use of digital and graphic arts techniques. The graphic designer must possess advanced knowledge in the area of computer graphics and design, and specialized graphic arts applications including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Flash. Familiarity with UW-Whitewater graphic identity standards.
Produce graphics and artwork for University Marketing and Media Relations:
Examples of artwork:
- Provide graphic and design services to faculty, staff and administration
- Design and produce university print materials from ideas to completion
- Serve as part of the graphic design team to complete a variety of university projects on deadline
- Work collaboratively with university clients to meet their graphic design and publication needs
- Prepare artwork and text for print by packaging fonts, links and final file and preparing reports
- Proof completed work
- Set priorities for meeting completion dates
- Accept delegated responsibilities as assigned
- Project a positive and professional demeanor in the workplace and campus community
- Retouch and color correct photos electronically
- High profile campus-wide publications
- Brochures, flyers and newsletters for university offices and departments
- University letterhead, business cards and envelopes
- Advertisements and promotional pieces
- Website graphics and banners
- Web, digital and social media support
Bachelor of Arts degree in graphic design or related field and three to five years of professional work experience.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Knowledge of commercial art
- Ability to create artwork through use of design tools and imaging
- Knowledge of postal regulations for printing pieces
- Experience using graphics software on Apple computers
- Ability to download software and make hardware upgrades
- Ability to organize and prepare electronic files for storage and retrieval
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to crop and resize photos and artwork for use in computer graphics
- Ability to prepare graphics for web-based applications
- Ability to package print jobs for production
- Knowledge of the Pantone Matching System
- Will be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills
University Marketing and Communications is a vibrant team of creative professionals. You’ll help set the tone for our campus publications. There will be ample opportunity to help developing student designers by working with MMR’s student employees. And you’ll have fun working on a campus filled with motivated employees and students.CAMPUS INFORMATION:
) is the largest regional comprehensive university within the UW System and enjoys a reputation as a high quality residential campus located near the scenic Kettle Moraine State Forest in southeastern Wisconsin. UW-W is situated on 400 acres of land and has an annual budget of more than $219 million. UW-W is located in the community of Whitewater, which has 14,622 residents and is within convenient driving distance to the metropolitan areas of Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago. The university enrolls more than 12,000 students in 50 majors housed within four academic colleges. UW-Whitewater also offers 16 master’s degrees and a Doctorate in Business Administration. The university’s strategic plan can be found at: http://www.uww.edu/strategic-plan
. It has a special mission within the UW System to serve students with disabilities and, as such, embraces the principles of university design and is one of the most accessible campuses in the state. UW-Whitewater is a Division III NCAA university and member of WIAC (http://wiacsports.com
). The campus has over 200 student organizations and is a vital economic engine for southeastern Wisconsin.
UW-W is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, building a diverse faculty and staff with expertise and interest in serving students with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and other distinct characteristics in respectful, sensitive and understanding ways. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans.ORGANIZATION INFORMATION:
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is part of the 26-campus University of Wisconsin System (https://www.wisconsin.edu
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants may indicate in writing that their identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(a).
UW-Whitewater requires criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment.
The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-W Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr
. If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.SPECIAL NOTES:
UW-Whitewater embraces AAC&U’s LEAP principles (http://www.uww.edu/leap
) and emphasizes student, staff and faculty participation in High-Impact Practices (https://www.aacu.org/resources/high-impact-practices
). The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (http://www.uww.edu/orsp
) provides support for faculty scholarly and creative activities as well as other opportunities to apply for reassigned time and/or other resources to support research activities. UW-Whitewater faculty and staff also have access to technology transfer and research resources provided by WiSys (https://www.wisys.org
).TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION:
Applications received by November 10, 2017 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at 262-472-1024 or email@example.com
For questions regarding the position please contact:
Only complete application packages will be considered. A complete application includes online submission of the following documents:
This Job ID is 13527.
- Cover letter
- Three professional references with contact information
- Five work samples in .pdf format
Who are you?
A potential applicant who is NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater External Applicants
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.Apply Online FAQs